Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guess what I got for $500

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would you ship it to Oklahoma City?

if so how much do you want for it + shipping?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have poor selling skills, I'll only sell it if someone comes and gets it.
And it's not beat up that bad I don't think. I can tell the pass front was hit and a decent repair was started. The tops must leak because it stinks inside.
I just ran it with the maf and all installed. It keeps putting out a #2 miss fire code.
Thats all I have time to do tonight. Can't even pull a spark plug.

You guys must know something about the air puffing out of the oil fill. Seems no one is saying anything. Like it's an easy fix
At least thats what I'm hoping, head gasket=easy, short block=I'm not looking for that big a project, this is my 6th vehicle, make that project vehicle.

Plus I lied I don't have the title yet, I gave the girl $100 for it and drove off, she don't even know where I live. I'm giving the $400 when I see a good title. Theres no reason to doubt the girl about the title, but here I am with $400 in my pocket and she's too busy to meet me and finish the deal.
SO it might end up being a $100 parts car.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll take the car, I'm in wesley chapel, fl
Old 12-05-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any chance you'd trade for a 1996 Monte Carlo, with L67 (3.8L S/C motor?) Runs and drives fine, just needs a/c lines and alternator sense wires hooked up properly. Comes with title.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Banned

No on the monte.
Why do you want a blown up LS1?
A just got in from messing with it, keeps putting out #2 misfire and the plug looks clean.
It will not rev unless I unhook the maf plug, even then it pops out of the intake.
I know I need to do a compression check.
As for tthe rest of the car, both power windows work, both power seats, both headlights come up.

What pisses me off is that this 113,000 mile POS will sit there and try to idle and still have less engine knocking, tapping than my 2002 did at 25,000 and still does at 33,000.
I'll trade the car for something, I don't know what.
But if I do get the title I'll probably rebuild it.
I want to take an LS1 apart, in the last four years I went from old small blocks to big blocks, now I'd like to get inside an LS1. I'm selling off all my sbc and most bbc parts next swap meet.

BTW I swear you could out run this car on foot. I can't wait to see whats wrong with it and get it right.

I'll post pics this weekend if I still have it. A few dings and a paint job, plus the engine work and this car I know it will sell for $5000.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:24 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

puffing smoke out of the oil fill cap is usually a blown head gasket or broken ring lands on a piston.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Banned

Well I just got in from getting some work done on it.
Did a compression test, it gets 200-180 on all except #2 which gets 0 psi.
Took the valve cover and rockers off and put 100 psi pressure in the cylinder and it hisses in the crankcase, no bubbles in the coolant.
One thing I found odd was the pure oil sludge built up under the valve cover, it's got to be 3/8" at the thinnest spot.

How common is it to blow a head gasket into the crankcase? I've always seen them blow out where they get hot.

Now for the dumb questions....what if it was a piston would it be possible to change just the one with the engine in the car?

PS thanks for all the replies everyone.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My offer stands too. Is it a m6?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:48 AM
On The Tree

I had the same problem with my car. Its the ringland. I had the sludge, no compression in cyl 5, the missfire code, air blowing out of the oil fill tube. But for 100 bucks cant beat that. Buy a stock short block off someone for like 500 bucks. Put the motor in on your spare time. Get the title. Sell the car fo like 5 or 6 grand. Think about it this way, would you out a motor in someones car if they gave you 4 grand to do it.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude. Scrap the drivetrain and start from scratch. It will STILL be cheaper than buying a new car.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

PM Sent.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
Well I just got in from getting some work done on it.
Did a compression test, it gets 200-180 on all except #2 which gets 0 psi.
Took the valve cover and rockers off and put 100 psi pressure in the cylinder and it hisses in the crankcase, no bubbles in the coolant.
One thing I found odd was the pure oil sludge built up under the valve cover, it's got to be 3/8" at the thinnest spot.

How common is it to blow a head gasket into the crankcase? I've always seen them blow out where they get hot.

Now for the dumb questions....what if it was a piston would it be possible to change just the one with the engine in the car?

PS thanks for all the replies everyone.
Yes you can change a piston with the engine in the car. Take the head off so you can see into the cylinder then pop off the oil pan so you can get to the rod ends. Just turn her over until you can get the rod end bolts then pop the end off and wiggle the rod out of there, you'll probably have to turn the crank some more to get it out of the cylinder though. I would start with checking the valves though instead of jumping right to the piston.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Banned

I got the PM's.
Heres a group answer.
The bitch all of a sudden can't come up with a title for it.
I'm right on top of my end of the deal, I have the money in my pocket to give her when she gets the title, she was supposed to have it monday.
Her landlord holds the title, it's in the landlords name, the landlord's husband is in jail, it was his car. The landlord wants them out of the house because it's being sold. If the house is fixed up enough she gets the title and the car. She told me she already owns the car and the title is signed by the seller only. Only problem is is the landlord won't give the title until the house is fixed up enough.

This is a 1998 Trans Am LS1, A4, black, 2.73 rear, t-tops, etc.
It has no compression in #2.

It's in port saint lucie florida.

Who ever gets here first can have it for $1000. There will be no bill of sale. I guess it's sort of illegal I don't know. I am positive the car is not stolen.
PS it's illegal to sell a car with no title in this state as far as I know so the girl I bought it from either goes through with the deal or gets in trouble.
Unless it disappears.

Everything I get involved in seems to turn to **** lately.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess it's sort of illegal I don't know.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

I got the PM's.
Heres a group answer.
The bitch all of a sudden can't come up with a title for it.
I'm right on top of my end of the deal, I have the money in my pocket to give her when she gets the title, she was supposed to have it monday.
Her landlord holds the title, it's in the landlords name, the landlord's husband is in jail, it was his car. The landlord wants them out of the house because it's being sold. If the house is fixed up enough she gets the title and the car. She told me she already owns the car and the title is signed by the seller only. Only problem is is the landlord won't give the title until the house is fixed up enough.

This is a 1998 Trans Am LS1, A4, black, 2.73 rear, t-tops, etc.
It has no compression in #2.

It's in port saint lucie florida.

Who ever gets here first can have it for $1000. There will be no bill of sale. I guess it's sort of illegal I don't know. I am positive the car is not stolen.
PS it's illegal to sell a car with no title in this state as far as I know so the girl I bought it from either goes through with the deal or gets in trouble.
Unless it disappears.

Everything I get involved in seems to turn to **** lately.
Ya it's very illegal Take parts off of it and say thats how you got it. I'll buy the wheels from you
Old 12-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Banned

Found the problem, broken rod, that'll cause a miss alright.
Why did this happen? I've seen them spin bearings and twist the rod until it breaks, or get so loose it pounds itself off.
The big end on this one still spins free, not tight, not loose.
And the block has a notch missing out of the bottom of the cylinder, from what I can tell it should be re-useable.