Warming the car up

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00
its 2 degrees here right now haha

Where are you at?

It was 8* here just a few hours ago. People at work look at me like im crazy when i tell them i like the cold weather.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i start it up, let it idle while a scrape my windows...if there is no frost to scrape i sit for about 2 minutes then go
Old 12-08-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I warm it up for as long as I have time, sometimes all the way until the thermo opens, sometimes just for 60 seconds or so. I've always given my vehicles plenty of warm-up time and IMO they all run with minimal chatter, possibly because of being warmed up every time. I like to wait for the moisture on the belts to evaporate and the ticking to go away before I go anywhere.

Also, remember that your engine is the FIRST thing to warm up when you start your car from cold. All other components, like the transmission, diff, brakes, and suspension don't reach op temp until much later and will live longer and more happily if allowed to warm up slowly or at least somewhat before abuse. This is why road racers (from Bondurant's book) always have warm-up AND cool-down laps on trackdays. I try to take it easy when warming up and cooling down. I'm pretty sure those with chronic brake rotor warpage are guilty of using them too hard just before stopping and pulling the key, heatsinking their rotors. The brakes on my track bike are ALWAYS happier when I take a cool-down lap with minimal braking at the end of a session-- pads/rotors last longer and don't glaze. Sorry, that was long.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Patman
It takes longer for an engine to warm up when idling and during this time you get more blowby and you wash the cylinders down with fuel. You are getting a lot more engine wear by sitting there idling than you would driving it gently to warm it up.
Agreed. But the noises it makes at start up <30 degrees F almost force me to let it idle a couple minutes. For some reason, this year with 85K on the clock, the cold piston slap (and who knows what else I'm hearing) is worse than ever. This is even with clean Series 2000 0W-30 Amsoil in there!! I mean this thing sounds like an out of tune deisel with spun bearings!!! I'll almost be afraid to turn it over when it gets down to near 0* or below.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Couple guys I know let theirs run for like 15-20 minutes, LOL. Start em up, let em run for like a minute or two and be on your way. I promise being cold for the short period of time won't kill you
Old 12-10-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

i think 1-2 mins. warmup in any weather is best to get the oil going.

then you keep it under 2000 rpms for the next few miles.

letting it sit dirties the oil and can't be that good. but driving it right away can't be great since all the oil has settled to the bottom.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

30-45 seconds then i drive easy until normal operating temp.

since FI and computers have been added theres no reason to let a car sit.

they dont run rough when theyre cold anymore and theres less wear driving it then letting it idle.

i stay under 2k an leave it in OD so the revs dont get too high.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of my vehicles set in the garage, which never gets near as cold as outside. I don't drive the WS6 in bad weather AT ALL. If it's cold outside, but all clear and clean roads, ok, but other than that she sits. The Z-71 on the other hand, it goes no matter what.

For both of my vehicles I like to start em up and let em run for a VERY short while. Like the TA I will start it, turn off the TCS, adjust the tilt on the wheel, get a cd or something. Then I put it in 1st, and ease out. I hit the button for the garage door opener and watch it close, then off I go. I keep the rpms low, like shift between 1500-2000 rpm until it is warmed up.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

back in 1994 I was stationed AT Ft Wainwright, AK in Fairbanks. Typical November Temperatures were 30-40 below zero without wind chill factor. We had electric plugs installed in the parking spaces that plugged into a setup from the grill for 1. Battery blanket, 2. transmission pan heater, 3. oil plug heater (and I had an electric heater that put out a tiny bit of heat on the rear dash to keep the interior from freezing solid. Back then I drove a 1976 Olds Cutless with a 350R under the hood. streight engine, eldelbroch heads/holley carb etc.. no fancy electronics.. headers streight out to glass packs. I had to run summer only plates because of emissions (although I ran in the winter with it and no cop ever noticed)

When you have to do all that... that's cold.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DragonsPhyre

When you have to do all that... that's cold.

I agree. Plus if you have to do all that, you have NO business atempting to drive any performance vehicle in that weather.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:34 AM
10 Second Club

I'm wondering what all you guys do when it's frosty out and the windows fogs up 2 minutes down the road because the car isn't blowing heat yet? Pretty dangerous esspecially if the sun is out.

BTW: It's 20* right now and I just hit the remote start on my pickup. Still wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Won't hurt a thing to let it warm up in the morning. Especially when there is a thick coating of frost on it. I personally think you actually help the car out by getting it hot enough to keep the moisture from building up in the oil!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NC98Z
Won't hurt a thing to let it warm up in the morning. Especially when there is a thick coating of frost on it. I personally think you actually help the car out by getting it hot enough to keep the moisture from building up in the oil!
Nevermind the excess carbon build-up that will result, or the excess blowby, or the washing of the cylinders with unburned fuel that result from prolonged idleing.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

How to warm up your LS1

Get in and start car.
Floor gas but don't let it bang off rev limiter.
Hold it at 5800 rpm or so until you see smoke.
This is very good for it. Keep holding gas down at 5800 rpm.
When it starts to seize/sputter, floor it the rest of the way to finish it off.
Walk to your destination from there.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i start my truck as soon as i get up in the mourning about 4:30 then go in and get ready to go to work. make coffee get dressed and brush the teeth, then i an out the door and the truck is nice and warm because i have leather seats and i am a sissy
Old 12-12-2005, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueSix
About 15 seconds. Seriously guys, you don't need to let a motor warm up before driving. Prolonged periods of idling is not good for the engine.

Just take it easy until it reaches operating temperature.

Even when it's 5* I don't idle for more than 30 seconds unless I am busy scraping the ice and snow off, in which case it might idle for two minutes.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

simple solution if you have frost on your car.

scrape it off before starting it up then go on your way.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

For 20* and below 5 to 10 mins then drive her easy under 2K for about two miles or so you should be good anything more than 10 mins I would think is excessive
Old 12-13-2005, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Touch
For 20* and below 5 to 10 mins then drive her easy under 2K for about two miles or so you should be good anything more than 10 mins I would think is excessive
10 minutes is excessive.

5 minutes is excessive.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
10 minutes is excessive.

5 minutes is excessive.
Anything over 15 seconds is excessive.