New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which car do you pick?
Pick the stock WS6 that was in storage the last 18 months!
68.48%
Pick the mildly modded WS6 that has been driven daily.
31.52%
Voters: 460. You may not vote on this poll

Beware of LOW mileage WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006 | 11:36 PM
On The Tree

im in the process of the sale (for the stock one)... but the fact that its registered non-op has caused a little speed bump in getting the check cut from the bank.... probably won't have the car till sometime next week.
Old 01-11-2006 | 06:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Wink

Originally Posted by di0ck
im in the process of the sale (for the stock one)... but the fact that its registered non-op has caused a little speed bump in getting the check cut from the bank.... probably won't have the car till sometime next week.
When you get it, take some pics and post 'em.
Old 01-12-2006 | 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats! The car looks great. Post up some pictures when you finally get it. I bought a totally stock Z about a year and a half ago that had 2700 miles on it and i dont regret it for a miniute. Its not stock anymore... , but thats besides the point. The point, as everyone the last 5 pages has been sayin, is that you'll have a car that hasent been toched in any way other than being driven. This way you dont have to worry about the previous owners workmanship, or what parts were put in.

Congrats
Old 01-12-2006 | 06:27 PM
On The Tree

thank you very much for that post, sir. I wish i was getting one with 3,000 miles instead of 30,000 but hey.. I don't really see much problem in that, just more haggling room in the deal for a NEAR mint WS6 I'll certainly be active here with pics and posts when I get her in my garage!
Old 01-13-2006 | 08:52 AM
Teching In

I would get the stock one.
Old 01-13-2006 | 09:11 AM
Teching In

18 months...thats nothin. My 1995 Firehawk went 8 years on the same oil by the previous owner while in storage...8 years!
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:36 AM
On The Tree

holy crap. EIGHT YEARS! lol ... whoa!

ok, things are moving ahead with this sale and i should have the car by wednesday or thursday of next week.

What I need help with now is figuring out what amount of care the car needs before I drive it the 40miles back home? Should I change the oil before I drive it again? The fuel was treated with stabilizer, should I just top it off with fresh fuel? Maybe add some octane booster? Should I change the differential fluid later in the week? What about the trans fluid or engine coolant?

Last edited by di0ck; 01-13-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2006 | 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

good luck with the car, im in love with mine...hope everything works out perfect for you!
Old 01-16-2006 | 03:01 AM
12 Second Club

Default Stock WS6

Check fluids levels, engine oil, water and brake fluid.
Top up if with fuel if you need to to get home. no need for octane booster.

There is no need to change anything before you drive it home just make sure the levels are ok.

Change the oil and filter as soon as you can (unless it has been recently changed by the present owner). As far as all the other fluids are concerned consult youur service book and look at what intervals they are changed.

I would go for a brake fluid change as the can deteriorate in quality when the car is stood.

Axle oil quaility looked good from your pics so I would not worry about that.

Trans fluid have a look at the oil if it is clean, I would probaly not change it.

Coolant again look at the quality of it, is it clean and has antifreeze in it then ok if not change it.

The main thing is to make sure it has everthing that GM recomend to change or replace in the service schedule.

I am sure I will have forgot something others will also chime in and give you good advice.

Why don't you take the car to a GM dealer and have a full service tell him the car has been stood for 18 months and they will advise you what to have done.

This may be expensive but if you can afford $20.000 for the car you want if serviced correctly.

Don't be too worried about driving the car for the first time you have been for a test drive and it drove ok I presume if everything sounds ok then drive it.

Hope this is of help to you.
Old 01-16-2006 | 03:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
eh, beat the **** out of em' both. whichever drives better, get that one
i don't know why your so concerned about the modded one, i beat the **** out of my car every chance i get. has 80k miles and still runs good. also as long as you don't put drag radials on the 10 bolt with 4.10's its fine. my buddy has had his for about 2 years now with no problems.

Old 01-16-2006 | 10:18 PM
On The Tree

I would pick the one that has been in storage. In my opinion, just because it has been in storage and not road driven, it was still started up and is fine. I would go for that one, just my IMHO.
Old 01-17-2006 | 03:31 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

you still haven't bought a car, god damn go get that biatch and beat it like a toothless *****!
Old 01-18-2006 | 06:12 PM
On The Tree

i was calling and calling and calling this guy and he wasnt pickin up, turns out he sold it out from under me, even after i had driven outta my way to see the car twice, and he didnt even let me make a counter offer!!!

i am so ******* pissed off!!! GOD DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!

well, i learned a lot about shopping for a t/a... i'll know what to look for right away with the next ones i look at... but i really wanted that one and felt confident about it!!

something i didnt expect, there was one major thing wrong with that car... THE OWNER WAS A ******* ***** **** GOBBLER!!!!! FFUUUCCKK!!!
Old 01-18-2006 | 09:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by di0ck
i was calling and calling and calling this guy and he wasnt pickin up, turns out he sold it out from under me, even after i had driven outta my way to see the car twice, and he didnt even let me make a counter offer!!!

i am so ******* pissed off!!! GOD DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!

well, i learned a lot about shopping for a t/a... i'll know what to look for right away with the next ones i look at... but i really wanted that one and felt confident about it!!

something i didnt expect, there was one major thing wrong with that car... THE OWNER WAS A ******* ***** **** GOBBLER!!!!! FFUUUCCKK!!!
di0ck, sorry to hear the bad news. So you'd been in regular contact with the owner, had a deal worked out, and the only reason the sale to you didn't happen sooner was because of issues with his registration? Basically you guys were just waiting on that final detail and he pulled out for another buyer at the last minute?

What a ****. Sounds like the owner is . Don't worry, what they say is true ya know; what goes around comes around.....he'll get what's commin to him one day

Anyway, you'll find another. I still see plenty of ~30K mile LS1 'birds for sale. At the moment I know of two for sale in my area, a T/A and a Formula. Just keep looking and maybe you'll find a better one at an even better price.
Old 01-19-2006 | 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry to here that, but you took too long to make up your mind.

I suppose you better buy the modded on now
Old 01-19-2006 | 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

* i should have read the last post before posting - sorry bout your luck *

STOCK...

Go stock.

Modded and not *really* raced? Gimmie a break. The stored WS6 COULD have been raced too - however, you KNOW the modded WS6 would have been neat on. Check the rear fender wells for the dimples ( a sign of hard launching )..

As for going with stock - you can choose what mods you need and want.
Old 01-19-2006 | 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

everything happends for a reason!!!!
Old 01-22-2006 | 08:28 PM
On The Tree

hello to all my helpful LS1tech friends, theres a few of you that have continued to check this thread, and i appreciate it very much.

so, i moved on and found a new black ws6 to purchase... this one with many additional things i want, and none that i don't!!!! its lowered, has lojack, and tint!!

i attached some pics and i have a couple questions, thanks for reading!

#1 - LOWERED SUSPENSION - the owner bought the car, used, at the dealer already lowered... he doesnt know what parts where used to do it. I found nothing printed on the springs or shocks... while i dont really care what springs they are, i want to know that the shocks were upgraded to. By the looks of that bright orange strut, should i assume that they are aftermarket? does the color give an indication of what brand it is? Also, I believe that red bad by the rear axle is the panhard bar correct? im glad that was installed when it was lowered.

#2 - REAR END LEAKAGE - theres more leakage on this one than the other one i looked at with 30k miles... this has 40k miles so is this normal? the fluid was full still, but looked a little dirty. he's taking it to the dealer and paying $100 to have it inspected and his warranty will cover the rest if work is needed.

#3 - FRONT WHEEL JOINT - i wish i knew the name of this part, i thought it was a CV joint, but i think that only applies to FWD cars. but the picture that shows the joint with the bellow cover on it (part of the steering?) shows the same "wet area" as i noticed on the other T/A i looked at, but this one is showing it more-so. i inspected between the bellows and none were cracked, sooo nothing to worry about?

#4 - PREVIOUS DAMAGE - this guy's friend accidentally backed into his car a while ago and the hood/bumper/left headlight assembly were all replaced... this was a low speed accident. $3500 in damages ($1800 on the hood alone though) ... should i worry about anything other than hood alignment and headlight operation? I dont think its something that should rule the car out of my search, right?
Attached Thumbnails Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3627_1.jpg   Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3618_1.jpg   Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3623_1.jpg   Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3619_1.jpg   Beware of LOW mileage WS6?-img_3626_1_1.jpg  

Old 01-23-2006 | 03:21 AM
On The Tree

heres a little g'morning bump. i need some advice today, im going to talk to the seller again by the afternoon
Old 01-23-2006 | 04:55 AM
Banned

if yah need a carfax msg me with the full vin # and we can pull some of the accident history

Last edited by 98Ztwentyeight; 01-23-2006 at 05:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Beware of LOW mileage WS6?