New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maf screen why??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This has been talked about thousands of times for years...literally.
Just take off the damned screen. Craig is right.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience , taking that screen out, which is there to straighten out unruly airflow, (as in the way you would on a flow bench) actually hurts performance and MILEAGE. I know that alot of ppl aren't worried about mileage, but I drive my T/A 140+ miles a day........ keep the screens. I am working on ..... acquiring.... some kevlar honeycomb material to experiment with even further smoothing out the airflow.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Oh Yeah there are big aftermarket ones with screens

http://www.lmperformance.com/743/1.html
Old 01-14-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

why does the c5 z06 not have it is there somthin diffrent about the setup it doesnt need it
Old 01-14-2006, 10:16 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by RiceEtinYakDriver
Oh Yeah there are big aftermarket ones with screens

http://www.lmperformance.com/743/1.html
I'm sorry I was thinking more along the lines of Granatelli MAF ones:

BTW- If it hurts the air flow soo much, why would GM not install one in a C5 ZO6?

From back in the day, everyone ports and polishes them and remove the screens out. Just as long as you get a tune with it to help your engine from leaning out.

If you want/worry about fuel economy, then I feel this is not for you, nor this site. We want to go faster here, we don't high five each other for who has the most mpg (no offense).

Peace,
Craig.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:21 PM

In my experience , taking that screen out, which is there to straighten out unruly airflow, (as in the way you would on a flow bench) actually hurts performance and MILEAGE. I know that alot of ppl aren't worried about mileage, but I drive my T/A 140+ miles a day........ keep the screens. I am working on ..... acquiring.... some kevlar honeycomb material to experiment with even further smoothing out the airflow.
BTW- About this air flow theory, do you think the stock accordion is going to keep any air flow straight?

Peace,
Craig.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

well i would suppose the reason the reason the c5 z06 doesnt have one is because of the different airbox design... i know i have seen some nice junk accumulate on my MAF screen which is why it is still in, and yes it is sealed properly... with an open air intake i would say take the bitch out seeing as nothing will get by that
Old 01-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Administrator

I changed my mind. Keep the screen on. We don't know what we're talking about. I guess it's better that way since there will be more people in slow cars for
me to *** whip.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Teching In

CRAGER......... ever heard of this thingy called a uh.....Velocity stack?...that little screen thingy is like having 500 or so itty bitty ones......... do some research, i am sure you will see what I am talking about....... I'll try to find more on this subject, installuniversity did a good piece on this subject , and has real black box data to back it up. As far as the Z06 issue, I have no idea, but i will look into it...it might be something worth cutting and pasting into an F body.

Last edited by RiceEtinYakDriver; 01-15-2006 at 04:26 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

CRAGER......... ever heard of this thingy called a uh.....Velocity stack?...that little screen thingy is like having 500 or so itty bitty ones......... do some research, i am sure you will see what I am talking about....... I'll try to find more on this subject, installuniversity did a good piece on this subject , and has real black box data to back it up. As far as the Z06 issue, I have no idea, but i will look into it...it might be something worth cutting and pasting into an F body.
The velocity stack huh? Give me a break. We don't mess around with little
ricer mods like that. We add hundreds of horsepower at a time. Velocity
stack. Get real.

You might want to buy some stock in these too.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:36 PM

Velocity stack would be the housing a screen could sit in.

If you want to talk about www.installuniversity.com how about this article:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...afapalooza.htm

Its !MAF: Porting the Mass-Air-Flow Housing!!

1. Here are the steps involved in porting the MAF. First of all, remove the MAF from the intake, and take the 3 pieces of it apart. Set the center electronics section (black section with the wire sensors) aside, away from the other parts to keep out of harms way. Here are the two halves unmodified. Notice the center dividers, this is what you need to remove, on both halves (see Figure 1 below).

Figure 1

Peace,
Craig. Tornado Lover!
Old 01-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Teching In

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...m_8.162000.htm I am not trying to turn this into a pissing match....... just trying to find the best way..... What I meant by velocity stacks is the idea of what they do, not like "uhh go and by one of em thar Tornadoes to put on that dang thing " I work on gas turbine engines and I am biased towards smooth airflow. Ohh and btw.... I have made more hp in my 77 T/A than any LS1 owner could cream his/ her pants over, I am not a noob...... I have taught many WS6 ers and Cobras the meaning of the term DISPLACEMENT..... so sue me for being OLD SCHOOL HAHAHAHAHA

OLD SCHOOL
Old 01-15-2006, 06:08 PM

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...m_8.162000.htm I am not trying to turn this into a pissing match....... just trying to find the best way..... What I meant by velocity stacks is the idea of what they do, not like "uhh go and by one of em thar Tornadoes to put on that dang thing " I work on gas turbine engines and I am biased towards smooth airflow. Ohh and btw.... I have made more hp in my 77 T/A than any LS1 owner could cream his/ her pants over, I am not a noob...... I have taught many WS6 ers and Cobras the meaning of the term DISPLACEMENT..... so sue me for being OLD SCHOOL HAHAHAHAHA

OLD SCHOOL
Not making a pissing match here either, just a little debate.

Nice link, but like I said earlier a custom tune will always help with knock (ping), running lean for the extra air.
And by air flow earlier I thought some were saying keeps the air smooth for the cylinders, not metering of the MAF. Thats why I was like the damn stock bellow is gonna **** up any "smooth" aif flow the screen might offer. But the screen being pulled out can be countered by a tune. A bone stock car can gain from a tune.

What does your 77' have?

Ohh and btw.... I have made more hp in my 77 T/A than any LS1 owner could cream his/ her pants over, I am not a noob...... I have taught many WS6 ers and Cobras the meaning of the term DISPLACEMENT..... so sue me for being OLD SCHOOL HAHAHAHAHA
Watch what you say by any LS1 owner. Plenty of fast LS1 cars out there.
BTW- 77' T/A was my 1st car, but my 427 01' SS is my favorite.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Administrator

So you're 77 T/A must run about 6.80 at 210mph or so if you're saying
it's faster than any LS1.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Teching In

I know I know that there are faster LSx 's out there.......I joke HAHAHAHA. Its an awesome engine. All I ever ran was a 10.23, but the 455 made enuf torque to smack the rear bumper more than once( and drop the battery and attached wiring below the lower arm ).... a new set of rod bolts and some more gear in the rear, I'm sure it would have gone 9 ish.
But back to the issue, maybe you can tune that screen deficiency out of it , I dont know , never had to , I just went back OEM and had better results all around. I am thinking about trying the SLP 85mm unit WITH THE SCREEN , anyone know anything about it?
Old 01-15-2006, 08:30 PM

I know I know that there are faster LSx 's out there.......I joke HAHAHAHA. Its an awesome engine. All I ever ran was a 10.23, but the 455 made enuf torque to smack the rear bumper more than once( and drop the battery and attached wiring below the lower arm ).... a new set of rod bolts and some more gear in the rear, I'm sure it would have gone 9 ish.
But back to the issue, maybe you can tune that screen deficiency out of it , I dont know , never had to , I just went back OEM and had better results all around. I am thinking about trying the SLP 85mm unit WITH THE SCREEN , anyone know anything about it?
10.23 is pretty sweet!

I went with the Granatelli 85mm MAF (WITHOUT SCREEN lol) because Jayson (owner MTI) said the SLP does not offer much in the upper rpms's. He says the Granatelli gets a little more power when he tunes with them vs the SLP 85mm.

BTW- My buddy here Thomas (1LSWON) has an 85mm SLP, and guess what. His does not have a screen! lol

Peace,
Craig.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Roger that good info....... Im gonna talk to a buddy of mine that I just remembered has a flow bench and see if I can come up with a set of numbers tween stock and stock w/o screen seein as how i got both, and also as I said....... try to come up with an improvement....... guess I like screwin with details too much
Old 01-15-2006, 11:48 PM

Roger that good info....... Im gonna talk to a buddy of mine that I just remembered has a flow bench and see if I can come up with a set of numbers tween stock and stock w/o screen seein as how i got both, and also as I said....... try to come up with an improvement....... guess I like screwin with details too much
Thats badass, better to know 1st hand rather then just what you hear.

When you get some numbers post them up and let us know what you got!

Peace,
Craig.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the love of ******* Christ it is a piece of ******* metal! If you want, take it out. I have ran my car with and without it. I have driven my car track only as well as driving 3500 miles in 7 days on the Hot Rod Power Tour. Removing the screen isn't going to make you faster and it isn't going to hurt your motor. Do whatever the **** you want!

To the guy that said he took it out and got shittier gas mileage: I call bullshit! I ran my car on the street with 4.10 gears and a 4000 stall on 26" tires, and got 22mpg without the screen. I think you need a tuneup

-end of rant- Time for some Blue Moon
Old 01-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Hey man this isn't a ******* cussing match
We are having a civil disagreement about a subject here.
We are trying to find the best answer for a given question.
Your opinion is valued........you don't have to jump in the middle of the thread and yell that is
Speak what you want man , but please for the love of all things holy and sacred dont act like a 19 year old ........... thats all i have to say

Quick Reply: maf screen why??