New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About buying an m6

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shooter jay means how many times are you going to be stopped on level ground and not roll foward backward?? I live in NJ and the car will always have the tendency to roll a lilttle bit one way or the other. imo its pointless to hold the clutch "just below the friction point" Jus pop her into neutral and use the brakes. downshifting is ok once in a while if u want to do it but dont make a habit of it. Like people say, its cheaper/easier to replace brake pads than a clutch. <--- Aint that the truth, lol! the only time i ever do that "just below the friction point" thing is when I wanna get off the line quicker. that eliminates the little bit of free play in the pedal.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:40 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
I'm curious though blur...are you talking on level ground here? If your left foot has the clutch half way in, is your right foot on the gas or on the brake? If it's on the brake then it doesn't make much sense to have the clutch anywhere but fully disengaged. If your right foot is on the gas and you are not on level ground, then you are holding the car in a stopped position using the clutch which is FRYING your clutch. In the 1% of the time that you are sitting stopped on perfectly level ground, and you have the clutch halfway in and your right foot is doing nothing, then though it is useless, it probably wont hurt much except for to reinforce your bad habit. Seriously, what exact situation ARE you talking about here, what is your right foot and car doing while you are riding your clutch half way so effectively?
Ok there has obviously been a misunderstanding here.

I'm talking about when the car is sitting still, not on a hill. No brakes required. Left foot on clutch, right foot resting on the gas, waiting to press down. This, as stated earlier, only takes place right before I am ready to leave. If the light has to run through a whole cycle, I will have the car in neutral, no doubt about it. I would rather use that last bit of time before the light turns green to find the friction point, rather than find it after the light turns green. This seems especially important to beginners who sit at the light with the pedal down, then freak when it turns green and they have no idea when the clutch is going to grab.

The closest thing resembling a hill in the gulf coast region where I live is railroad tracks I'm trying to explain that below the friction point means no friction. Thus no power supplied to the transmission.

Sitting on a hill letting the clutch slip to keep yourself from rolling backwards is rediculous, I realize this. Using the clutch to stop the car from moving, rather than the brakes, is rediculous. If you were under the impression that I let this go on, you simply misread my posts. I had no intention of implying this.

The entire point of holding the clutch pedal below the friction point is only to be aware of where the friction point is. Not to stop motion. Sorry for the misunderstanding
Old 01-23-2006, 09:48 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98TADRIVER
shooter jay means how many times are you going to be stopped on level ground and not roll foward backward?? I live in NJ and the car will always have the tendency to roll a lilttle bit one way or the other. imo its pointless to hold the clutch "just below the friction point" Jus pop her into neutral and use the brakes. downshifting is ok once in a while if u want to do it but dont make a habit of it. Like people say, its cheaper/easier to replace brake pads than a clutch. <--- Aint that the truth, lol! the only time i ever do that "just below the friction point" thing is when I wanna get off the line quicker. that eliminates the little bit of free play in the pedal.
We have had a geographical problem here!

Where you guys sitting on level ground and not rolling is 1%, me sitting on a hill and rolling away is the 1%.

Seriously, if you hate driving your car on hills, move to southeast Texas. Eliminating the freeplay in the pedal is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Wish I had thought to put it like this earlier. The only time i use my brakes is to slow down while driving. I don't even need to use my parking brake in my driveway, it's just as flat as the slab my house is built on.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Okay

Yellow light, im first in line, I slow
Im stoped, while holding the brake with my right heel, I find the friction point, then press it in further
I hold the clutch their, car in first, right foot holding the brake, and also hovering over the gas
Light goes green, I give it some gas, ease the clutch and brake out, roll on.
WOT
Old 01-23-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's all good...just trying to help the noobs. I'm glad someone backed me up, thanks 98ta :-). FWIW, off the top of my head I can think of 17 vehicles I've owned with manual clutches(not counting countless other manuals I've driven), and I design machines(with clutches and brakes) for a living.

NP blur, it's easy to misunderstand each other.
Spuds I'm still shaking my head at you lol.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

lol oh well, everyone drives differently.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Biggest mistake i've seen by people trying to drive a stick....

Right when they are creeping the clutch out, and the car starts moving, they dump it the rest of the way for a nice violent jolt. Creep that bitch untill your foot comes off of it, no matter how fast its going. Just becaue the car is moving doesnt mean it is fully engaged!

Dont be afraid to give her some gas either! I see too many people trying to feather out for their first time only using 1300 rpms. Give that baby some throttle! 3k rpms and its pretty hard to kill it. Feather the clutch to controll your speed. By keeping the RPMS up, you're insuring yourself that you have enough grunt, now all you have to worry about is being smooth with your left foot. Its less stuff on your mind

If you really want a 6 speed car, get one. Dont let these people talk you out of it. It is true that a built automatic with a stall can be deadly as far as ET's go at the track, and that the 6-speed is the most parts trashing piece of equipment ever put in an automobile, but i love being part of the action.

I do think its a good idea to be informed that the ole' "awww its just a little ole' automatic car!" doesnt fly in the ls1 world, but theres more too it. If i wanted a car that was ***** out fast, i would build a fox mustang with a SBF, but thats not all i want.
agreed i love my m6 nothing like ripping through the gears. this is good advice as well as the rental car as mentioned earlier.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

personally, my one of my favorite techniques is on slow sharp turns to dump the clutch at medium low rpms and kick the butt end around...I'm not always easy on my car
Old 01-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I cant wait to get out their this spring and work on my clutch skills, its been so long... I wanna learn how to actually DRIVE my ******* car, not just operate it..