Old 02-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys thats what i was looking for
Old 02-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Need an example - well try the majority of ricers. They beleive an air filter, a wing and slammed suspension will make them faster than a Ferrari but does it?
i will concurr with you on this statement. but when a reputable chevy magazine does the test you can only assume they did it the proper way. but besides the dyno proof that you are disclaiming. i can personally attest to the fact that i felt a better throttle response when removing the erg. as far as the fra and tbb, it didn't make any difference. but you know what, it was sure fun cutting **** off of my car and gave me something to do. its been done for over a year now and have had no problems, so whats the harm. and finally, all the guy asked was how to do them. he didn't ask for the dynamics of how the erg works.

but thanks for your insight and technical knowledge.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Here are the mods for me and their usefulness

TBB - little or no gain
FRA - the biggest single free improvement for my vehicle, except i need to clean my K7N filter all the time! lol
EGR - Throttle response decrease A LITTLE BIT and always throws the code, havent gotten a retune yet. No HP or speed increase.
AIR - No HP increase, only did it to clean up my engine bay.
Ported MAF - a SMALL HP increase.
Descreen MAF - HP increase.
Bump Stop removal - HP increase.

When i descreened my MAF, I definatly noticed a HP increase, except i really keep an eye on my A/F ratio now. I think it was a good idea, at least for me.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Why - because all it does is introduce an inernt gas into the combustion chamber to reduce PEAK temps during combustion thus reducing NOX emissions.
depending on how much exhaust the EGR pumps though, wouldn't the inert gas be taking up room that could be used for a gas/air mixture? i always thought, more mixture more power, to a certain extent of course.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassick
depending on how much exhaust the EGR pumps though, wouldn't the inert gas be taking up room that could be used for a gas/air mixture? i always thought, more mixture more power, to a certain extent of course.
yes you are correct, except that EGR doesn't activate at WOT (wide open throttle) so it has no affect on peak performance. At cruise or lighter throttle it really matters not, because you won't be using 100% of the engines ability anyhow, so the inert gas is mearely taking up space that was vacant anyway (well kind of, but I'm sure you get the jist )
Old 03-28-2006, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

They sell camaros as 4x4s in england?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by flyin red TA
They sell camaros as 4x4s in england?
eh?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:40 AM
TECH Resident

It was a lame joke about your sig pic. It's just weird to see the rears smoking away and the fronts dangling...so it makes it look like the whole car is jacked up since the smoke is covering the back wheels.

I don't know about what you said about the TB coolant bypass being true. Why do racers go to such great lengths to keep intake manifolds cool if it doesn't even matter since air will pass through so fast at WOT that it can't be heated? And then there's the usual "heat soak" term.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:00 AM
TECH Addict

It was a lame joke about your sig pic. It's just weird to see the rears smoking away and the fronts dangling...so it makes it look like the whole car is jacked up since the smoke is covering the back wheels.
ok, I think it's actually the inner arch visible, the flash and then messing about in Photoshop has just made it more obvioius.

I don't know about what you said about the TB coolant bypass being true. Why do racers go to such great lengths to keep intake manifolds cool if it doesn't even matter since air will pass through so fast at WOT that it can't be heated? And then there's the usual "heat soak" term.
Well for starters LS1 intake manifolds are plastic and stay relativly cool.

Also an intake manifold is much larger and totally encloses the intake air within it. Thus the air will spend more time in a hot environment. A TB is only small and straight thru, about 3" deep or so, so the intake air moves past it very quickly.