New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Needed???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hit or miss a friend of mine had to get his tranny worked the synchros were messed up and the warranty paid for itself.

Its a gamble either way. You can pay the money and be rest assured they'll fix it, You dont have to pay the money and hope that if something does break you have the money to fix it, pay the money nothing happens, dont pay the money nothing happens.. its really all in what the warranty is worth to you.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've had my Camaro for almost two years, and can say that I the extended warranty has just about paid for itself already. Like everyone said, the plans are setup so that the company is going to make $. For me it just happend to work out for the better. Next car I probably won't get one, because I want to throw some mods on.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

$1750 is alittle high, but when does it cover too ?? mileage/years

I got a extended warranty for $1100...it covers me till March of 2011 or 80k, which ever comes first. It was 6 years and 66k added to the odometer at time of sale. My car currently has 19k on it, bought it with 14k on the clock and have not had a problem.

My cousin got his warranty for $1300. Bought the car with 30k on it, before he hit 35k, both cats went bad (at different times) and both window motors went bad (7 days of each other). No other problems with it, runs great. Estimated costs of the repairs were $1200...$300 each cat installed, $300 each window motor installed.

Just trying to give you examples....I just feel safer with it, some repairs are minor dollar stuff...... seized motors, bad trans's and rear ends are not cheap

I kind of feel a warranty is my right to break other peoples stuff and only have to pay a $50 deductible
Old 02-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Banned

I got the warranty on my car and im glad i did its already paid for its self almost twice!! and plus the had trouble gettin it to go through so we called and bitched at the rep. at GMPP and they doubled the length of the warranty for free.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:50 AM
11 Second Club

Mine was worth it:
Spun rod bearing, leaky rear diff, leaky Tranny

Got new engine, new rear and my tranny rebuilt/resealed.

MY bill out the door was $700 and that included my deductable(200) and a cam install in the new engine before they put it in The warranty company paid nearly 12k all totalled
Old 02-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to consider is do you have to buy it up front? When I got my extended warranty I asked if I could buy it later. They gave me 90 days to do so. Of course the car was new at the time.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pewterta
on these cars...id say its a "must" have.

i bought mine for 1200...
and so far have replaced the vehicle speed sensor(450.00) power window motor(250) power anntenna (275)

If you were really charged $250.00 for a power window motor and $275.00 for the antenna, You got SCREWED. The 'Semens Brand' widow motors are only @ $55.00 at Autozone and can be swapped in a few hours easily. Similar deal with the antenna, They charged you three times for the part...

Did you even bother to check the prices of the parts beforehand?

And the other drawback to the 'extended warranty' is that you have no clue who is actually working on your vehicle or if they are qualified or not. Do you think they are going to tell you if they screw something up while fixing your window? NOT!

The good thing about doing it youself is that you will KNOW if the job is done right... JMHO
Old 02-07-2006, 06:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
then someone bull shitted you. knock sensors can be repalced for under $100 bucks
Old 02-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Launching!

yea sure its 55 bucks...for a autozone part! oh and the comment about spending a few hours...why would i want to spend my time doin that!!

Let me break it down for you....

I get genuine GM parts... installed which ill take over autozone any day...and I choose the mechanic of my choice... i drop the car off and pick it up... oh and check prices?? only thing im going to check up on is parts that "are not" covered by my warranty...I really dont care what the shop I choose charges them.

maybe you got 2 hours to fix a window motor...but i work fulltime..and its cold as hell here in chicago...
Old 02-07-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going to get a extended service contractg get GM Protection Plan..it is good at any GM dealership in the country and is not some fly by night company that will try ans screw you. The Dealers love warranty work..they may charge a lot for the work but its picked up by the GMPP warranty..I look at it this way you are paying for your first major repaire upfront and then the rest is a freebee..you need to negotiate the price on that warranty down though..I have had fantastic service out of my 2000 Z28..I bouhgt it used with 10,300 miles on it..all three oil change receipts were in the glove compartmant..I replaced the clutch at 75,000 miles and both fog lite bulbs with miles over 90,000..the car has 102,000 miles on it now ... all in all it has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned..and it sees the red line often...
Old 02-07-2006, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Are you buying from a GM dealer? Just be careful what you buy. Read into everything. When i bought my 02 Z28 the dealership sold me on the warranty. It was 1450 for it. Good thing they gave me 60 days to cancel because when i got all the terms and all the paperwork i ready it over. The dealer called it a "warranty" it turned out it was only a service agreement. That meant i had to lay out all the cash up front for any repairs and then they would reimburse me later. They also had to review the repair and if it was covered or not. I just didnt like that at all. So i returned it.
In the end its up to you. I didnt take one. Your car only has 30000 miles on it so just take care of it and it will take care of you.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Launching!

mine pays with a credit card...no upfront costs at all... pm me if you woul dlike the name...
Old 02-07-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

There are probably a dozen different ways to structure a GMPP Extended Service Contract. (GM is the only one worth having) You have different levels of coverge, length of term and miles, and deductable to consider. Get it like burger king..build it your way. If they want to sell you a warranty they will show all of your options. Do not forget to negotiate on the selling price.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea sure its 55 bucks...for a autozone part! oh and the comment about spending a few hours...why would i want to spend my time doin that!!

Let me break it down for you....

I get genuine GM parts... installed which ill take over autozone any day...and I choose the mechanic of my choice... i drop the car off and pick it up... oh and check prices?? only thing im going to check up on is parts that "are not" covered by my warranty...I really dont care what the shop I choose charges them.

maybe you got 2 hours to fix a window motor...but i work fulltime..and its cold as hell here in chicago...

If your 'Genuine GM Part' was so good then why are the window motors such a commonly failed part on the F-bodies? (you would KNOW this if you had used the search button)

Accept it, You got RIPPED OFF paying so much for a crappy part...
Your warranty may have helped out some on the cost, but you still got raped! They replaced your crappy part with an equivalent crappy part!

Just because it says GM on it, does not all the time make it a quality part.
GM has 'bean counters' just like the other car makers out there...

Good luck with your service.

James
Old 02-07-2006, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

yea sure its 55 bucks...for a autozone part!
It's made by Siemens as stated above, and most agree that it's actually better quality than the original GM part....
Old 02-07-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It's made by Siemens as stated above, and most agree that it's actually better quality than the original GM part....