New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WS6 TA vs. TA

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 03:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this is my opinion, being a little bit biasd seeing as how i own a WS6.

The two cars should be compared completly stock, otherwise thats not a fair comparison.

It all depends on what you want, do I think that the WS6 is worth it for the extra cost? Yes, here's why.

1. It just looks awesome, i love the look of the WS6 cars. Sure you could buy a different hood, rims, and badge for your car and people would think its an actual WS6...but in the long run your still just a poser.
2. If you did buy a new hood, suspension, exhaust, and wheels then it would most likely be more than $3000.
3. Would you rather just buy the real thing and not have to worry about finding the right parts for it.
4. The car would be real.

These would be good things to consider depending on how far someone will mod their car. If you were just going to put on a couple bolt ons then you wouldent even need to upgrade the factory suspension. Im probably going to get some people angry with this post but this is how i look at it. I hope this was a help.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:26 AM
TECH Regular

well another thing is that the WS6 could be a "factory freak" it just dynos more power then the 99 with mods....it happens, as every LS1 is NOT the same...consider yourself very lucky to have such a strong stock WS6!...i would be!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Transgression
well another thing is that the WS6 could be a "factory freak" it just dynos more power then the 99 with mods....it happens, as every LS1 is NOT the same...consider yourself very lucky to have such a strong stock WS6!...i would be!
I truly believe it is. I was beating a lot of people with 6spd ws6s and SSs with catbacks. (Most of them were running 13.5s) Nobody at the track believed mine was bone stock but it was down to the tires! I would open the hood and everything and tell'em "Tell me whats not stock" I still had the damn stock filter for crying out loud! But yeah man I appreciate the compliment,this car has been a freak from day one as i bought it new. Im in the middle of getting some racing videos posted up on it asap.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

true to the last drop...
Old 02-20-2006, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
Well this is my opinion, being a little bit biasd seeing as how i own a WS6.

The two cars should be compared completly stock, otherwise thats not a fair comparison.

It all depends on what you want, do I think that the WS6 is worth it for the extra cost? Yes, here's why.

1. It just looks awesome, i love the look of the WS6 cars. Sure you could buy a different hood, rims, and badge for your car and people would think its an actual WS6...but in the long run your still just a poser.
2. If you did buy a new hood, suspension, exhaust, and wheels then it would most likely be more than $3000.
3. Would you rather just buy the real thing and not have to worry about finding the right parts for it.
4. The car would be real.

These would be good things to consider depending on how far someone will mod their car. If you were just going to put on a couple bolt ons then you wouldent even need to upgrade the factory suspension. Im probably going to get some people angry with this post but this is how i look at it. I hope this was a help.
It sounds like you are very insecure about spending the extra money for what is basicly an aperance package,and for future information some ws6 years come with springs and the new ones have17 rims ,but none come with both.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:41 AM
TECH Regular

i wouldnt mind owning a firehawk or WS6 in addition to my TA but I happen to love my TA just the way it is mmmk. I get a lot of compliments on it cause it looks clean(lowered, dark tint) and there are more WS6s around where I live....
Old 02-20-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't hate the player....hate the game.....WS6 rules!!!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 11:32 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I'm a Noob here, but in 98 I had a a4 TA and my best friend had an a4 TA WS6, same year and same mileage. He never took his to the track, (I ran a 13.3 the only time I ever ran it), but we ran many times on the street, from a dig and also from 20, 30, 40 rolls through 100mph or so, advantage always went to whoever got the jump. If we hit it dead on, we were head up every single race. Really pissed him off. He was bone stock and I had cut out the bottom of my airbox. Other wise stock down to the airfilter. Take it with a grain of salt, but I'm shopping for a Z28 or TA right now, the WS6 or SS would have to be an absolute steal for me to buy it. Although the looks do make me drool!!
Old 02-20-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

It all depends on what you want to do with the car if your goin to keep it fairly stock then YES I do believe it is worth the extra money to get a WS6 or SS but if your goin to do any major mods to it its not worth it b/c once you go too far it takes away from it being a WS6 or a SS b/c really its not a WS6 or SS anymore b/c you took the factory stuff off. I like modding my car and daily drive it so its not worth it for me to buy a WS6 but my cousin has a 02 T/A thats bone stock only drivin in nice weather for him it was worth it.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

one night i was hanging out with a bunch of car guys.....and two WS6s rolled up, one an 01 the other an 02. Both had lid and a catback....They asked if anyone wanted to race and a kid who knows me told them I would race both of them. They came over and looked at my car and said they would smoke me because mine wasnt a WS6 LOL. We all drove to a spot and I proceeded to whoop both their asses three times each and stomped a friend of there's in a stock 01 Z28. They both had better tires than me and the only mod I had that they didnt was 3.73s.....

Old 02-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Transgression
it happens, as every LS1 is NOT the same
Really? Please explain the differences? Different rods? Different rings, pistons,
crank, etc? Nope. Other than some getting the LS6 block, which makes
no more power, I fail to see how they are not the same. Please enlighten me.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

When cars are so close in perfomance it ends up coming down to the best driver.
This whole ws6 thing is taken too seriously if you ask me. My 2nd gen is a ws6 also and back then all it meant was stiffer suspension pieces,quick ratio steering box and rear disc brakes. I guess throughout the years it meant different things. As far as 4th gen I think we all concluded that it means ram air hood/17 inch wheels/ stiffer suspension/power steering cooler. The ram air hood, if it gives you any more power then a stock ta, it isn't much. Theoretically it is supposed to give you 20? ponies over a stock ta. In terms of et 20hp means nothing. I'll go a little further and say that as far as the suspension is concerned I have my doubts about it being any different then a stock ta.
This "fast and the furious" decals and spoiler mentality causes this debate to rage on. If you like the ram air look then get a ws6, if not get a ta or a formula. Ignore the ws6 decal in the rear of the car in the latter situations.
IMHO the general is an idiot. GM builds a great car the ws6 trans am and then strips it down as bare as it can to fit the budget of their target market. In other words they take a ws6 and strip it of its ws6 pieces and sell it as a ta. They then take the ta and strip it of its ta pieces and make it a formula. They then strip the formula and make it a firebird with a v6. I think they got it all backwards. The ws6 ta should be the base model and go up from there with engines. You want a firebreathing ls2? ls6? just check off the box on the order form. Don't care for the crappy 7.5 rear and want a 12 bolt...ditto, don't like t-tops then delete them.....etc etc.
It is no wonder GM is taking on water. Where are the Deloreans, the Wangers of today???
Old 02-20-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO if your going to mod an f-body to make it go faster then buying a non WS6 would be a better option. That way you can put some 3.73 gears and some beefy suspension parts like LCAs, TQ arm and so on. Your not going to get those kind of goodies on a WS6.

I've beat every 4th. gen f-body, corvette and Cobra I've ever raced in Monroe Wa. on a 1/8 mi. track. The suspension mods are a must, last Labor day two Z06 got raped off the line by my non ram air T/A vert. You should have saw the look on their faces, they came by and were asking lots of questions about my vert.

I personally like the Mecham hood, but I've heard of to many bad experiences with that hood, so I'm waiting until someone designs something similar to the Mecham.

If I bought a WS6 with very low miles, lets say like under 10K, I would park it in a heated garage and drive it to church on sunny sundays only and watch the value soar in the future.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Fast eddie I agree with you on all except for the part of ws6 soaring in value. There were too many made for them to soar in value. Unless you mean 50 years from now.
The only cars that soar in value are the the limited production cars. Don't believe me check the book value on an 81 WS6 TA.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SVTKILLER
The ws6 has better air box and airflow due to a less restrictive exhaust. Also has better tuned suspension. Of course the hood,bigger wheels and tires(traction!) I have owned both. I had a 99 TA and i still have my 02 ws6. Me and my dad raced them at the track. The 02 ws6 was bone stock down to the tires and the 99 TA had 3.73s,slp exhaust,k&n,and pcm had been programmed. The ws6 would walk him ALL day long 13.3 for the ws6 to 13.6 for the TA. The TA spun a little worse. Maybe if the TA had the same size tires as the ws6 it would have been closer. But anyway thats been my experience with the ws6 and the regular TA.
Originally Posted by SVTKILLER
The ws6 ran 104(auto,5,000mi) and TA ran 101(auto,60,000mi). I agree with you guys i was sure the TA would win. But maybe the mileage also played a part because the ws6 had the trap speed along with the e.t. I dont know I was just as suprised when we were going down the strip!

My old 99 T/As best time was a 13.4 @ 104 with just a lid and loudmouth with a 2.1 60' on the stock tires which were 4 years old and on 2.73s!! That pcm programming may have screwed with the T/A too much to have it mph so low.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit213
Really? Please explain the differences? Different rods? Different rings, pistons,
crank, etc? Nope. Other than some getting the LS6 block, which makes
no more power, I fail to see how they are not the same. Please enlighten me.
maybe its just the interpretation. i think he might mean factory freak. there are some 2000's making 290 some horse and others 300. yet mine made 318 w/just a lid. that might be what he means. physically speaking unit is right but i dont think its a literal thing.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
Fast eddie I agree with you on all except for the part of ws6 soaring in value. There were too many made for them to soar in value. Unless you mean 50 years from now.
The only cars that soar in value are the the limited production cars. Don't believe me check the book value on an 81 WS6 TA.
yeah, i agree. in 02 it was like a 3 to 1 ratio of ws6 to regular t/a's...a regular t/a vert in a rare color like maple red metallic will be worth something MAYBE...but ws6's i dont think will be worth a lot since there were actually more of those made than base t/a's. actually a formy ws6 is where the bucks are.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swang
maybe its just the interpretation. i think he might mean factory freak. there are some 2000's making 290 some horse and others 300. yet mine made 318 w/just a lid. that might be what he means. physically speaking unit is right but i dont think its a literal thing.
I don't buy the factory freak thing. Dyno #'s and track #'s are always going to vary for a multitude of reasons.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

They made a bunch of 58 chevys back in the day and nobody ever thought they would be worth anything, try to find a 58 chevy now.

30 years from now a WS6 with less then 10k mi. on it may be worth some bucks. I'm thinking many of them will be wrecked by then and the others will have 300,000 miles on them.

You never know, hell I pushed a old VW beetle off of a cliff while off roading it and left it there. I wish i had it now, it had a rare kind of convertible top that just slid back like a big sun roof. I'll bet that piece is worth something now.

Maybe all gasoline cars will be collectibles in 30 yrs.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:59 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
My old 99 T/As best time was a 13.4 @ 104 with just a lid and loudmouth with a 2.1 60' on the stock tires which were 4 years old and on 2.73s!! That pcm programming may have screwed with the T/A too much to have it mph so low.
Its possible,I bought the car with the mods already done. I didnt modify ANYTHING. It didnt have anything noticably wrong it. But yeah its possible