New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

learning how to drive stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Some people drive manuals for the fun of it, and not for the performance that they may be gaining/ loosing with it,

i know i do
Old 02-22-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

driving a stick in the stop and go traffic in rush hour in a big town REALLY lets you know you have a manual tranny... wears your leg out fast especially when you have a bunch of stupid drivers cutting you off and you having to do the take off bit all over again! i love manual cars....just not for daily driving.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:56 AM
AOC
TECH Regular

^^ I don't know, I had 4.10 gears in my 2000 SS and traffic never bothered me nor wore my leg out. I love rowing through the gears, it is a blast.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm talking about the traffic hour, were you only move about 10 feet then stop wait 4 minutes then do it all over again for about and hour and a half and get litterly no where. then the guy with the most raggedy *** car gets right in front of you and SQUEZES his way in and holds up traffic even more! I FKKING HATE DALLAS TRAFFIC!! i mean yeah small town driving is great, just once the bigger it gets the more of a hassle it becomes.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

i drove my M6 5 hours home after i bought it. in worst learning conditions, had to go trough dallas then starting out icy and then rain the whole way back. you should be fine just dont try to powershift right off. 2nd is easy to get 3rd is alittle harder.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

The best way i can describe handling a manual is you have to balance the clutch and the accelerator...not push them both the same amount, but the same amount in different directions.
I've found a way to deal with heavy traffic on surface streets. What I do is pop the car in neutral and just letting it roll on it's own while people do all their jockying and whatnot. As soon as everyone else is done, i'll re-engage in the appropriate gear
Old 02-22-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Learning to drive a stick is really easy! I rode dirtbikes all my life and when I 1st went to drive a car with a stick I only stalled it out once and thats when I wasent paying attention and tryed to launch it from 3rd !
Old 02-22-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
i'm talking about the traffic hour, were you only move about 10 feet then stop wait 4 minutes then do it all over again for about and hour and a half and get litterly no where. then the guy with the most raggedy *** car gets right in front of you and SQUEZES his way in and holds up traffic even more! I FKKING HATE DALLAS TRAFFIC!! i mean yeah small town driving is great, just once the bigger it gets the more of a hassle it becomes.
Stop your bitching..you have it easy. Come and drive the Orange Crush every day here in southern california. We have 18 freeways and all are conjested every single day.

I like the M6 in traffic better because you dont have to hold your brake all the time you can put in nuetral without worry of bands and planetary gears. you can throw revs at people on there cell phones, i can sit in traffic in 2nd gear and at 750 rpms the car wont stall(dam torque) Also learning a stick is easy on this car the dam thing engages at 1000 rpm , Make sure you get a short stick or aftermarket shifter put in makes it that much easier
Old 02-22-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
I agree with the hills thing, they are pretty awkward sometimes... Just hold the clutch at the friction point and let it hold the car, I know its bad for the clutch, but its easy and clutches are pretty cheap..
lol clutches aren't cheap, i do this sometimes if i know i wont be stopped for long, but just be careful when cars are behind ya, that'll **** ya off on a hill when they get really close . and learning on a ls1 actually is alot easier than learning on a slower 4cyl. etc. believe it or not, it is alot more forgiving.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Teching In

i learned when i was 16 too (im 17 now).i learned on my 02 camaro. i learned in 2 days and i got really good at it. going from stop to first was my biggest problem, the rest of the gears are really easy.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:34 PM
AOC
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
i'm talking about the traffic hour, were you only move about 10 feet then stop wait 4 minutes then do it all over again for about and hour and a half and get litterly no where.
Yup, been there, done that and I didn't mind (and still don't with my current ride) it at all.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Once you learn how to drive stick it makes automatics boring. There are pros and cons to both. For M6 you'll feel a bit more manly haha, people will give you a bit more respect also, also ITS FUN. Downside...bumper to bumper traffic sucks alot but only in major slow moving traffic! When your crawling in traffic and moving inches and inches and inches at a time your legs may get tired and its just annoying. For automatics you obviously don't have to go through this...but since your 16 and kids at that age are all about the manual most likely they'll rag on you alittle, this is generally only for two reasons though their jealous or they hate you because their girlfriends are piled in your car. I'm 20 now and my friends are still like this. Though when you get tired and its late at night, and you just want to relax, automatics are nice. As for the difficulty of driving manual...piece of cake once you learn, when your really good tachs become useless when driving normal you'll know when to shift by the sound of your vehicle and you will have the "feel" for it. In general stick isnt hard to learn and its fun. Just go with what your comfortable with, and if it's automatic and someone has a problem with it make them realize you'd smoke them either way
Old 02-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Launching!

On the same note- I havent driven a manual F-Body but many other manual cars. What is the shift pattern for the fbody?

135R

or
R135
X246

Thanks, I know its a dumb question but if its a hurst shifter w/o the markings, I don't want to throw it into Reverse when I think its 1st the first time I drive it.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

135r
Old 02-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Thanks man, saved me some embarassment...
Old 02-22-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Go for it dude, I learned to drive a stick in my grandfathers 67 Chevy pick up,it was a three on the tree and I was 9 years old,LOL I promise whatever you learn/practice on will be eaiser than that.........
Old 02-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm willing to make a trade. I will " mentor" you in that feel of clutch in & out while slipping smoothly up & down thru the gears... okay bang them when comfortable, just feel it! If you will teach me to drive an automatic without my left leg and right arm flailing about!!
Last auto purchased in "72" and since I live outta town and back windy roads are the norm with little traffic my shifers in my vehicles are connected to my right brain and can be either used rote or left brain switch and bring on that **** eatin grin!!
Old 02-22-2006, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah exactly, once you become used to the stick you will want it all the time. just like sex. once you get it you want6 it all the time. i know when i drive my moms car or somthing i try to hit the clutch and shift the first few times i take off. i love manuals.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

It's all about preference. I personally think automatics are boring. I also personally cannot stand stalled autos. Automatics are better for bracket racing, but m6 is much more fun. Anyways, there are tons of people who drive manuals everyday in traffic and its not that hard. Not to mention not everyone lives in New york or LA. The city i live in has 115,000 people and the only time there is bumper to bumper traffic is during rush hour. So if u cant drive in bumper to bumper traffic, take back roads.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

First time i drove my dads truck ( a4 ) after I drove my car, I went to go press the clutch to start it lol!

Quick Reply: learning how to drive stick