New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

learning how to drive stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I specifically learned to drive stick in a friends beater, only so that I could take my friends '93 (or was it '94?) Viper for a test drive a few days later. Unfortunately, I got stuck waiting for traffic on a fairly inclined parking lot exit with cars piling up behind me. I swallowed my pride and switched seats so I wouldn't roll into the car behind me But driving it around otherwise was pretty easy.

I didn't drive another stick for a few more years, when I test-drove my current car. I was probably gone for 45 minutes and they were all upset about the extended drive when I returned.

I think the biggest issue is just knowing where the friction point is on the clutch pedal, and knowing how fast to apply/release the pedals. One thing which I do in an automatic but haven't trained myself to do on a stick is left-foot brake. I also find the proper seating position benefits me - this is what I use:
- left wrist extends just slightly past top center of steering wheel with shoulder blades flat against seat
- seat adjusted F/R so that my upper and lower right arm form a right angle at my elbow
- seat back adjusted almost vertical
- seat height just low enough so that my thighs aren't pressing against the front of the seat
- seat tilted so that my helmet doesn't rub
- 1-2 shift: thumb on top, palm on right
- 2-3 shift: thumb down, palm on left pointed diagonally towards 3rd
- 3-4 shift: thumb down, palm on true left

It'll be fun for you, you keep your respect with your friends , you acquire better coordination and are more in tune with your vehicle. The only kind of coordination you learn in an automatic is how to answer a phone, not spill your drink, adjust the fans, turn on the wipers, and read a newspaper simultaneously on the way to work while dodging other drivers irritated at you
Old 02-22-2006, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite thing is when your at the dealership looking at cars....ask to drive a stick, when they ask if you can drive stick, say yes....pause...and then ask whats stick ?? The salesmans face is priceless after that.....and then they dont believe you can drive one till you pull out... I do it everytime I look..
Old 02-22-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i learned how to drive a stick with my first car which was a 83 camaro(rebulilt 350, 5 spd). sure enough a few months later i had to get some **** replaced in the tranny..but now with the new camaro its so much better. my car has 21,000 miles so its brand new and everything feels perfect. but be careful and take your time, it can be a little frustrating at first but you just gota be patient! and be careful with those hills they can kinda be scary once your on your own for the first couple times . but i definitly wouldnt mind an A4 in a camaro. those rears are better then the m6s.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw im 17 now...and an A4 must be easier to drive when ur twisted. oh well manuals are more fun
Old 02-23-2006, 02:20 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah going to an auto from a stick is great. I usually end up useing the break with both feet because I am looking for the clutch. My right hand will move to put the car in neutral Some times I forget that the car will move when I take my foot off the brake. So at lights I'll take my foot off the brake to get ready to go and the car will start moving!

~Alex
Old 02-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Launching!

i learned stick on a 97 z28 so as long as you have a general idea and someone to teach you, youll be fine.

and yea once you get the hang of it, you forget you are even shifting its so natural.

M6 HANDS DOWN
Old 02-23-2006, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

good luck driving stick, you'll get it

Quick Reply: learning how to drive stick