New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can running too lean destroy your motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why can running too lean destroy your motor?

I should prob know this, but Ive tried to reason it out in my mind given what I know of the systems involved but I'm prob still too green on all of them to put the pieces together.

I figured for myself that it would be a heat issue, that it would be burning too hot and would lockup the pistons. But then i say, why would rich not do the same thing?

A buddy of mine tried to explain it as having something to do with oil pressure, but i don't think he was too solid on the explanation, he may know, but his explanation was beyond my understanding.

I'm just starting to work on HP tuners and wanna get the facts about AFR and its effects on things squared away before I move on.

Any knowledge would be appreciated
I'm thankful for all the help you folks have given me on this site.
Thanks folks.

Also, if this gets moved could I be informed plz
Thanks

DJ
Old 03-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

IDK on 4 stroke motors really, but on 2 strokes that get their oil/lub from the fuel, it will burn em up.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When its lean it will cause detonation and it'll usually mess up the piston that detonated (usually #7), AT LEAST crack the sleeve and most likely the block aswell, it has to go mega lean though, alot of times it happens with people spraying and not being tuned for it.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Running rich is actually supposed to have a "cooling" effect in a motor, but obviously too rich will cause fuel to wash the oil off your cylinder walls and that's bad. As for too lean, the leaner the mixture the hotter the burn, this will lead to detonation which is where the fuel mixture ignites from a hot spot in the chamber and could result in clashing flame fronts a.k.a. broken parts. Thus the saying "too lean, too long, too late." Plus the hotter the combustion chamber the more oxides of nitrogen are created, this is NOx, and only expensive catalytic converters can filter it. And obviously if you run too lean you can get a misfire that which you need to watch for if you are tuning because it will release a lot of hydrocarbon or fuel and air into the exhaust which might fool you if you don't know what you are looking at. That's basically all I remember from school, hope it helps a little.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

do you lose power by running rich?? like longtube header rich??
Old 03-25-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

u do lose power by running rich. its not alot but there is an effect of running to rich. it doesnt hurt to run rich but theres a point that u dont want to go over.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Excellent info folks, that helps alot, thank you very much.

DJ
Old 03-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Teching In

What things will cause your car to run rich/lean? Would a K&N, smooth bellow, and lid cause a 02 WS6 to run rich/lean?
Old 03-25-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fire_boy06
What things will cause your car to run rich/lean? Would a K&N, smooth bellow, and lid cause a 02 WS6 to run rich/lean?
No, have fun with your car. If you go and get a "tune" some bad shops lean them out to make a little more power, disregarding the fact that you want the car to last.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Teching In

The only ways that I can think of that bolt-on intake modifications will cause you to run rich or lean is if you are outflowing your maf sensor or have a leak and you are sucking in unmetered air or you contaminate you maf with something. That happens a lot with ford and their "hot-wire" sensors, the oil from certain aftermarket air filters can accumulate on the wire and therefore damage its ability to meter properly.

Otherwise something as simple as fuel injector cleaner or having your fuel injectors cleaned at a dealership can cause a rich condition because most OBD2 computers have a "decaying rate" system built in to anticipate fuel injectors getting dirty and not atomizing fuel as they should and therefore supplying incrementally more fuel. We had a Z28 at my work that had this problem, basically it had to be reflashed and was good to roll.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think of it like this....the incoming fuel actually cools the combustion chamber. Without enough it will be too hot and then, well, goodbye. That's about as simple as I can put it.

Quick Reply: Why can running too lean destroy your motor?