New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported my own TB got a PIC

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006 | 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

if air is being sucked through it, the area in front will not have any effect. If it was forced in then the area in front could possibly benefit from it just by directing turbulence. The TB blade is smaller than the TB opening so no matter what you do to polish it, fill it, port it, you will not change the CFM's that flow through it.
7-8 rwhp?? how on earth is that possible? and where did you get that info?
Old 04-07-2006 | 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

yea I have plans on disassembling it tomm and wet sanding it and buffing it down real nice. It should look pretty good once its complete. And yes this picture is a TERRIBLE pic my digital camera was twenty bucks from walmart at christmas guys so seriously you get my drift LOL. But its better than nothing. I will update some better pics on my g/fs cam tomm...
I wish I would have done a before and after dyno to settle this issue maybe someone could do it sometime for all of us eager to know if were wasting our time or not.
Old 04-09-2006 | 01:56 AM
On The Tree

The only thing that picture shows is how shitty your digital camera is.

Porting the throttle body is a proven mod, if done right, you are not wasting your time. The gain comes primarily from removing the lip before the thottle blade, and making sure the throttle blade opens to 90 degrees. Sanding, shining and epoxying the holes doesn't do much at all. If the search was working, you could find this stuff out.

Last edited by blacksnake; 04-09-2006 at 09:16 AM. Reason: needed to add something, bump stop mod
Old 04-16-2006 | 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shinerbock07
you need to completely disassemble that thing and wet sand it and buff it out to a shine, and then put a coating over it...or just got get it powdercoated.
I didn't know you could powercoat aluminum.

Surface finish doesn't matter. The important thing is the material removed. The resulting finish doesn't matter. It does not have to be polished to work just polished to look pretty/make you feel better about it.

Ben T.
Old 04-16-2006 | 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
if air is being sucked through it, the area in front will not have any effect. If it was forced in then the area in front could possibly benefit from it just by directing turbulence. The TB blade is smaller than the TB opening so no matter what you do to polish it, fill it, port it, you will not change the CFM's that flow through it.
There's a lip in front of the blade that actually makes the TB size smaller. By removing that lip in front you are increasing the area and smoothing the transition of the air. It's a proven mod to get ~5-10rwhp
Old 04-16-2006 | 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Man I ported mine and used my cell phone to take the pic, and it didn't look like that! Not trying to be mean, but it doesn't even look like you ported it, but rather scuffed it up and mutilated the blade!

Here's what mine looks like. You need to get the ridge in front of the blade gone, and remove the lip at the outer edge of the tb mouth as well. Just trying to help
Attached Thumbnails Ported my own TB got a PIC-hendricks-machining-ported-throttlebody.jpg  
Old 04-16-2006 | 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Yea Mines ported real nice now my blade was already like that. Mine looked like that too until I filled in the gap there on the side. You do that and see if it still looks like that....But ya man it does look great good job.
Old 04-16-2006 | 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
you cant be serious? picture yourself running a mile sucking air through a straw. its not gonna happen, the size of the whole IN FRONT of where the suction is taking place does effect it!
Old 04-23-2006 | 02:07 AM
TECH Addict

nice anaolgy!
Old 04-23-2006 | 04:05 AM
Launching!

Take your time. I didn't make my TB look like a mirror like some of the guys here but it still works. And I didn't fill in the gap.

It was posted that filling in the gap didn't result in any HP gain. Someone did a dyno run years back with it filled and not filled. So that part is completely up to you.
Old 04-23-2006 | 09:05 AM
Administrator

Guys...I honestly think you should pony up the $150 or so to have your TB professionally
ported if these are the results you're going to come up with. I don't mean that in a
negative way at all though. I commend you for attempting to mod your vehicles
yourselves. It's a lot of fun and can be rewarding. I can also be costly when you screw
things up. The difference in a professionally ported TB and the example here is fairly
significant in both appearance and performance. I suggest coughing up the money
for this one.
Old 04-23-2006 | 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Mine looks great. Almost aftermarket, I just happen to have the proper tools to do a good job. It was teh first one i have ported, but iv worked with enough aluminum before the understand how to get it to do what i want
Old 04-24-2006 | 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
Guys...I honestly think you should pony up the $150 or so to have your TB professionally
ported if these are the results you're going to come up with. I don't mean that in a
negative way at all though. I commend you for attempting to mod your vehicles
yourselves. It's a lot of fun and can be rewarding. I can also be costly when you screw
things up. The difference in a professionally ported TB and the example here is fairly
significant in both appearance and performance. I suggest coughing up the money
for this one.
I think mine is as good as any
Old 04-24-2006 | 10:43 PM
Teching In

go for it . if it works and you save some bucks cool.