New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hold my ground???...or give in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006 | 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwitt2
well then save another 5k or 6k and go buy the car you want. I say hold out, but you won't get the car you want for under 10K.
he's a liar. 1998 Trans Am A4 with 50k for only $9,000.

Patience is the name of the game. I would've liked to have a black but it wasn't worth waiting a few more months just cause of the color, IMO.
Old 04-22-2006 | 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

autos ALWAYS goes for lower than M6 w/everything kept the same. im sure he could get a auto teal for that price, but a M6 black will be much harder
Old 04-24-2006 | 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-sale-lsx-powered-only/495200-1998-red-ta-m6-w-ws6-hood-smoothies-corsa.html
Old 04-24-2006 | 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

Wait for the M6. But if something feasible pops up, take it. Personally, waiting for that "one" great deal would be like winning the lottery. You'll be waiting for something that will never happen. Or if you get "greedy" and try to keep getting cheaper and cheaper. Like THEE perfect candidate popping up for 10K, and you say, "I'll wait till I see one for 9K." It will never come. I drove 3 1/2 hours to get mine. Couldn't find any around here or if a M6 was around, WAY overpriced.

I remember shopping for mine at dealers, and I did what me and my wife called the "6 speed run". I had this radar while driving, I'd spot a Trans Am on a lot, slam the brakes and turn in. See a tag hanging on the mirror like $10,500, RUN up to the car look in. ONLY thing I would even focus on was the center console. Hoping to God it was a stick, only to see it was automatic. Slowly mope back to my car and drive away. That became an all too common thing in my shopping for a 6 speed. It got to the point where I would just do a quick stare through the back hatch instead of plastering my nose to the drivers side window to check for A4 or M6. Get out, look REAL fast before the dealers come out to feed on you, see A4 and split.

But anyways, good luck finding the car you want.
Old 05-23-2006 | 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joe32725
Almost two months into my search for the "perfect" ls1 trans am and no luck yet. I really want a 98-02 ls1 t/a m6 with under or around 70k miles for $10k. It is almost impossible!!! Most t/a's are either way overpriced or have 120k miles plus. Ive run into a few auto trans ams in OK shape and even a couple z28's. Should I hang in there and wait for it to come to me? or should i just settle for any ls1 and deal with it?

This mite be what your looking for, you had better move fast if you want it!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-sale-lsx-powered-only/505943-98-formula-ram-air.html
Old 05-23-2006 | 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I payed a little more for mine because it came off a dealer lot. It was by mistake that I found it. Went out look at an 04 GTO, there it was a white 2000 WS6 19,000 miles 17,200 out the door. It even was an M6. That was a year ago. So you may need to compromise, pay a bit more, or get one with a few more miles.
Old 05-23-2006 | 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I waited 2 years for mine. I had to have an M6 NBM or Black Z28 or SS. in Oct 03 I finally found what I wanted. Your perfect car is out there. Just be patient and you'll find it.
Old 05-23-2006 | 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Sometimes the perfect car really isn't as perfect as you think. I was just like you when I decided to buy a LS1. I wanted a black M6 WS6 Trans Am and thought nothing else would make me happy. I finally got tired of waiting and bought a white (ironic the color is opposite of what I wanted) A4 (although I was dead set on the manual) Formula (I was looking for a WS6 TA, LOL). About two months into the car payment I thought about selling the car as I had a bad case of buyers remorse.

But then I became a member of a few forums, did a lot of research and became addicted to 1/4 mile drag racing. Because of this I learned three things about myself and my car.

1). High stalled automatics rip out of the hole, are more forgiving on the rearend and are more consistent for drag racing/bracket racing. Since I go to the track at least twice a month I'm now glad I have a stalled auto. If I were to total my car tomarrow and start all over, I would definately buy another auto LS1 (and then shortly there after I would be placing an order with Yank).

2). Black was my favorite color for these cars. Then I saw a picture of a 1999 anniversary Trans Am. Blue on white has got to be one of the greatest combonations ever So much so that it inspired me to do this (which I absolutely love and wouldn't even consider trading for a black WS6):

3). Formulas are a little lighter and far rarer then TA's or WS6's. I kind of like that I get mistaken for a V6 from time to time

My point is that stalled autos can be as much fun (to some even more so) then manuals, but only if you like drag racing. If you know you're not interested in that then by all means hold out for a M6.

Trans Ams are nice but you may find the Formula to be in a better price range for you and IMO look just as good.

Holding out for what you want is pefectly fine. Just make sure you know what that is. And a little flexability is not always a bad thing (at least it wasn't for me).

Good luck and I hope you find exactly what you are looking for.