Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roll racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Great White Bat
im not new to the whole fbody thing. this is my second camaro. what i have is a 99 Z28 with 2.73 gears. the car is stock with low miles. i just put a whisper lid on it. what im wanting to do with the car is make it a roll racing car. im pretty much 1/4 mile guy so im not up on the role racing scene. i want to pretty much destroy everything on the road. im thinking about doing all the normal stuff like headers and dumped exhaust. i got the lid already. i put LCA and a tranny mount on it just because i had them. would an 04 ls6 cam be a wise choice for power. i know its alot of work but i think it might be a wise choice. also, what are good tires for roll racing? should i keep the cast iron drive shaft or find an alluminum one? any help would be nice. i am going to keep the tranny stock untill she goes.

good luck trying to destroy everything on the road.....thats not gonna happen..
Old 05-25-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want a roll racing monster, keep your 273s, get a 2,800 stall and BOOST like a mfer.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
Just beef up your engine and exhaust then get a T-Rex and a 250 shot.
You should do the same.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

turbo!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Bolt ons, cam, spray, nice converter, and pull as much weight as you can while being comfortable with what's missing. An auto with a converter should be fine with some nice radials like gs-d3s, bfg kd's, or some nittos.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWS
If I were you I'd tell the locals that "roll racing is for ricers, meet me at the track".
I think anyone who claims to be a hot rodder and says that they have never driven down the road, had a car challenge them and punched it is probably lying. I would be suprised if there is one single member here who has never raced from a roll at some point in their life.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MRZ28
Doesnt a big stall slow you down on the top end?
That is correct.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaro_SLP
That is correct.
Ya thats what i thought, Why is that? alot People think it makes you faster, by putting you in your power band quicker, which makes sense; but In my personal experience I thought my car felt alot slower on the top end wiht the stall.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camaroextra
The GU5 and GU6 cars came with aluminum drive shafts (3.23 and 3.42)

the GU2's didnt (2.72)
Not quite correct. The GU5 and GU6 cars also had to have factory speed rated tires to get an aluminum ds. My t56 car came with a steel stocker.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_SLP
That is correct.
Care to explain why? I dont understand it, if the TC if physically smaller, and that is the only thing that has been changed, less rotational mass, would that not cause the car to be faster throughout the powerband?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Trust
Care to explain why? I dont understand it, if the TC if physically smaller, and that is the only thing that has been changed, less rotational mass, would that not cause the car to be faster throughout the powerband?

I think it has something to do with the efficiency of the converter. A bigger (loose) converter is not as efficient at converting horsepower at higher RPMs as tighter converter, and as stated earlier in the thread from a roll racing is all about horsepower. Im not sure though, Im just trying to use what I know about converters to figure this out, so I may be wrong, hopefully someone will chime in with a bit more knowledge on the subject.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MRZ28
I think it has something to do with the efficiency of the converter. A bigger (loose) converter is not as efficient at converting horsepower at higher RPMs as tighter converter, and as stated earlier in the thread from a roll racing is all about horsepower. Im not sure though, Im just trying to use what I know about converters to figure this out, so I may be wrong, hopefully someone will chime in with a bit more knowledge on the subject.
That was the only thing I could think off, but surely STR makes up for that? Anybody with the knowledge?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Banned

You've got the wrong trans to be real good "roll" racer regardless of what stall you choose. You want heads and a cam for power. Then you want gears. No ones beat me off a roll yet but it will happen. There ar faster cars out there, its all about money.
When I roll with someone I get my rpms right where I want them before signaling for the race. The its just hammer time. I like to be in 3rd gear at 60-70mph OR about (4k rpms). Traction isnt an issue with a roll unless we're rolling from 25-40 mph and the tire are cold. Rolling is all about being at the right rpm at the start. Having enough power to win is basic.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Launching!

That was the only thing I could think off, but surely STR makes up for that? Anybody with the knowledge?

STR plays a big roll but when stall speed raises im sure that the STR will raise also, so you still are going to have a big (loose) converter that is not as efficient as say a stocker, unless its possible to have a 4000 stall at a 1.4 or 1.6 STR, but have you ever heard of a stall speed with a STR that low?
Old 05-26-2006, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

What I dont understand completely is that if the stock stall is what say 1600? It lets the motor stall up that high before engaging, the only difference between mine and that is the STR and about 1900 RPM's worth of stall, but after that 3500 shouldnt the connection between the motor and tranny be the same as after the stock 1600 stall speed is reached?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

What I dont understand completely is that if the stock stall is what say 1600? It lets the motor stall up that high before engaging, the only difference between mine and that is the STR and about 1900 RPM's worth of stall, but after that 3500 shouldnt the connection between the motor and tranny be the same as after the stock 1600 stall speed is reached?

um not at all the stall speed is just just a rough estimate of how high you can rev your motor in gear with the brakes applied it depends on how much power you have

but anyway there is always going to be more slippage involved with a smaller converter unless the converters are locked up. Take for example your car is floored and the motor is running 6000 rpm with the stock stall the input shaft on the tranny may be only turning 5500 rpm and with the higher stall converter aat the same rpm your input shaft on your tranny may be only turning 5000 rpm

the reason converters make you faster at the track is
1. the initial launch (more slippage = higher torque manipulation + get in power band earlier
2. when you shift you keep your motor closer in between your torque and horsepower peaks

on the top end that amount of slippage affects the efficiency of the drivetrain thus making you slower on top more slip = more heat = lost energy = wasted power
Old 05-26-2006, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Uhh, I cant roll until at least 40 or 50 MPH, .
Must be nice to hook that soon!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

from what i understood when i bought my converter was that if two lets say camaros with the same hp/tq etc. race with the only difference being one has a high stall, the one with the high stall would win?
Old 05-26-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1
um not at all the stall speed is just just a rough estimate of how high you can rev your motor in gear with the brakes applied it depends on how much power you have

but anyway there is always going to be more slippage involved with a smaller converter unless the converters are locked up. Take for example your car is floored and the motor is running 6000 rpm with the stock stall the input shaft on the tranny may be only turning 5500 rpm and with the higher stall converter aat the same rpm your input shaft on your tranny may be only turning 5000 rpm

the reason converters make you faster at the track is
1. the initial launch (more slippage = higher torque manipulation + get in power band earlier
2. when you shift you keep your motor closer in between your torque and horsepower peaks

on the top end that amount of slippage affects the efficiency of the drivetrain thus making you slower on top more slip = more heat = lost energy = wasted power
Ahh, makes a lil more sense now, so is a 4000 stall converter actually loser AFTER the stall speed is reached than a 2000 stall converter after that stall speed is reached?
Old 05-26-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ProKill98
Must be nice to hook that soon!
Lol, doesnt down shift at those speeds Notice, if i'm going from a dig or like a 20 roll, they dont stop spinning til about 60-70, but just cruising at 40 or 50 then punching it, not much spin.

Quick Reply: roll racing