New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting an 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006 | 06:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by thislswon
and asw far as 9lbs being high boost...i dont see how thats possible...
It's not, but it is for a stock LS1. That's on the edge.

when from my understanding the 5.7 has better internals then a 4.6 and your saying a 4.6 motor can higher more psi then the ls1...
Absolutely. My 100% stock motor can hold 20psi easily. This thread
is about '03 Cobras, not 2V 4.6L's. Who in the world told you that a
LS1 has better internals than a Cobra?

then why do i hear so many ppl talking about how weak the stock block in a 4.6 is...
Because there are a lot of morons in this world. You obviously aren't speaking
from experience...just what you've "heard" which isn't all that accurate.

you may be right...

i may be right...

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
I agree. If you like a car, who cares if it cost an extra 4-5k+ to make it as fast. It's funny when people spending 25-30k on a car are worrying about which is going to be a few thousand cheaper to reach X amount of HP. You'd think some people are driving nice cars and living on baloney sandwiches.
I with ya on that one. I don't understand people here. They are in the
modding game but are afraid to spend money? Time for
a new, and less expensive, hobby.
Old 06-08-2006 | 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

I am to poor to mod. that is why my car is stock still lol.
Old 06-08-2006 | 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
I with ya on that one. I don't understand people here. They are in the
modding game but are afraid to spend money? Time for
a new, and less expensive, hobby.
Old 06-08-2006 | 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

if i could do it or start all over... i know i would have gotten the 03-04 cobra.. but it was 2002 back then.. but i dont regret it.. cuz i got the T-tops~!! LOL
Old 06-08-2006 | 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
What Unit said is fact, and you're just too ignorant to figure it out for yourself.
wont you lick my ***** buddy...i never said **** to you...and i told unit he may be right...im just speaking on what ive heard/ been told by different ppl..obviously im wrong...and im not to proud to admit thaty fact...only point i was trying to make is i think you can do a reliable turbo setup for around 6k and if 9lbs of boost is on the edge with a stock internals ls1 then drop the ps1 to around 7 and be safe and i think it can be done for around 6k...and i didnt know the internals on an 03/04 cobra where different than the previous 4.6's i never claim to be a genious or know it all...when it comes to mustangs i am pretty clueless...because i never really gave a **** to read up or research on them....so yes unit owned me and i was wrong...lol...not a big deal to me...i learned sumthin new...id still have a turbo ls1 over a terminator
Old 06-08-2006 | 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

wont you lick my ***** buddy...i never said **** to you...and i told unit he may be right...im just speaking on what ive heard/ been told by different ppl..obviously im wrong...and im not to proud to admit thaty fact...only point i was trying to make is i think you can do a reliable turbo setup for around 6k and if 9lbs of boost is on the edge with a stock internals ls1 then drop the ps1 to around 7 and be safe and i think it can be done for around 6k...and i didnt know the internals on an 03/04 cobra where different than the previous 4.6's i never claim to be a genious or know it all...when it comes to mustangs i am pretty clueless...because i never really gave a **** to read up or research on them....so yes unit owned me and i was wrong...lol...not a big deal to me...i learned sumthin new...id still have a turbo ls1 over a terminator
I wouldn't worry about it. If you stick around a while, you'll probably be owning people too.
Old 06-08-2006 | 06:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2000SS1979
What matters is YOUR happy with YOUR purchase. Who gives a **** what your friends think about your car or us for that matter. YOU have to drive it everyday and YOU have to make the payments. I am done ranting, thanks for reading!

Exactly. People are always asking me what I think what be a good car for them. I tell them what I would buy and then tell them this exact same thing.

Personally I would prefer the F-body any day, but thats me. Why should some guy who has never met me care what I think.
Old 06-08-2006 | 07:35 PM
Administrator

id still have a turbo ls1 over a terminator
Me too!

Just having a little fun with ya. Don't take me seriously.
Old 06-08-2006 | 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

if 9lbs of boost is on the edge with a stock internals ls1 ...
it is. if you talk to STS guys, they will tell you that 8# is the max recommended on a stock motor. my buddy has a 01 STS Z28, and run 5# usually, but has a boost controller to turn it up to 8# when he wants to play.
Old 06-08-2006 | 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
it is. if you talk to STS guys, they will tell you that 8# is the max recommended on a stock motor. my buddy has a 01 STS Z28, and run 5# usually, but has a boost controller to turn it up to 8# when he wants to play.
Is his STS intercooled? Because even sts says if you go over 6psi you should intercool it. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a rear mount turbo I would think. I've seen stock motor ls1s handle 8-9 psi all day long on a d1 procharger & 91 octane. Making over 500rwhp. It's all in the tune.
Old 06-08-2006 | 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

i dont think its intercooled. but he doesnt run around on 8# all the time.

you can run 8-9# if you want, but they dont recommend it to keep things safe.
Old 06-09-2006 | 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bet if it was intercooled 8psi would be no problem for him. But I don't blame him either way. No sense in adding wear and tear.

BTW sorry for the thread jack.
Old 06-09-2006 | 06:52 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
Is his STS intercooled? Because even sts says if you go over 6psi you should intercool it. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a rear mount turbo I would think. I've seen stock motor ls1s handle 8-9 psi all day long on a d1 procharger & 91 octane. Making over 500rwhp. It's all in the tune.
A friend used to run 15psi on a stock motor...and he's lucky his **** didn't
grenade. While the tune is important, a stock LS1 just can't handle a lot
of boost even if it's intercooled.
Old 06-09-2006 | 08:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2000SS1979
Woohooo look at you guys measure your horsepower knowledge penises! I say buy what YOU like. Who cares what is faster and how much it cost. I like the F-bodies more than I like mustangs, because I feel mustangs are a dime a dozen these days. But the is why I own an F-body. I could give a **** less if a cobra pulls up next to me with 500HP and wants a taste of my stock SS. I will give it to him and he will win and I will be like damn nice car bud. The simple truth is I appreciate anyone who enjoys American muscle. Chrystler, GM, Ford, etc.. It doenst matter to me. What matters is YOUR happy with YOUR purchase. Who gives a **** what your friends think about your car or us for that matter. YOU have to drive it everyday and YOU have to make the payments. I am done ranting, thanks for reading!
I'm gonna have to agree with this one here as far as my .02 is concerned. I'd have to spend a lot of money to make my SS reliably beat up on Cobras. It would probably be cheaper to just get the Cobra. But that's the thing, I didn't buy the SS because I had any illusions of being the meanest, fastest thing on the street. I bought it because it was the car I dreamed about in high school and I can finally afford one now.

Get what you like. Drive both. See what impresses you about each.
Old 06-09-2006 | 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

jesus. 15#. thats crazy. yea, he was definately lucky
Old 06-09-2006 | 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

SS w/ $10k of mods = speed of two 03 Cobras.

I can understand...it's a newer car, most likely far less miles...etc. But, an LS1 is an LS1...none other like it. Rebuild the motor if you have to in the future and pimp it up!
Old 06-09-2006 | 10:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
jesus. 15#. thats crazy. yea, he was definately lucky
You may have heard of him. His nickname is STENOD. Link

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
SS w/ $10k of mods = speed of two 03 Cobras.

I can understand...it's a newer car, most likely far less miles...etc. But, an LS1 is an LS1...none other like it. Rebuild the motor if you have to in the future and pimp it up!
Now there's a technical post full of factual information. Nice work.
Old 06-09-2006 | 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

In my humble opinion, its MUCH SMARTER to go after big hp N/A on stock internals than with FI. Granted a little wont hurt, and our motors tend to like nitrous, but then again, power-train excluded, you can get pretty close to 500 rwhp for 6 grand anyway, maybe a little more, but you can do so pretty reliably...

3k heads (assembled)
.5k cam
.5k ls6 oil pump
1k intake
1k fuel system

granted those numbers can fluxuate, but i'd bet that a stalled 450-500 rwhp LS1 would give most cobra's a run for their money

and if not, well go forged and get a big block!
Old 06-10-2006 | 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tuff choice... flip a coin.
Old 06-10-2006 | 01:37 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/521769-will-5k-get-stock-ta-boosted.html