Thinking of getting an 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006 | 05:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
A friend used to run 15psi on a stock motor...and he's lucky his **** didn't
grenade. While the tune is important, a stock LS1 just can't handle a lot
of boost even if it's intercooled.
I would definitely call that lucky. Unless it was detuned to hell it was probably pretty nasty for a stock motor. But there is a big difference between 15i and 8psi.
Old 06-11-2006 | 06:30 PM
Launching!

Yeah I would say to just put the forced induction on your SS!
Old 06-12-2006 | 02:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
Bye bye tranny. Have funny the ford will be broke the first time you lay the power down. don't believe me, call tremec they will tell you the tranny in those things are junk. Do some research on some mustang forums you'll see. Ah what am I complaining about, I guess it is just one more person to pass right?
03-04 Cobras have T56 transmissions in them dude...
Old 06-12-2006 | 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Unless in some crazy way you like the way a mustang looks over a SS, then get the cobra...otherwise put FI on the SS and beat almost anything you will see on the street.

Umm...I'm sorry mr. jrp but if you can not put together a nice, safe forced induction system for $10K maybe you should learn to shop around a little bit, maybe try a new website or something...I don't know, but $10k is plenty for a nice street FI system, I don't think he is looking to go 6.57 @ 212mph or anything...jeez.
Old 06-12-2006 | 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are advantages and disadvantages to BOTH cars. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised that this site is so anti Mustang but let me tell you, if the LS1 was hands down the better car then why have so many Mustangs been sold? Hmmm...Did Ford cancel the Mustang due to poor sales? Oh wait, that was GM with the beloved and "MUCH" better Camaro/Firebird

I really like my 02 Z28 and I really liked my 94 Z28 as well but I also liked both my 90 LX and my 94 GT mustangs. Why does one have to be "better"?

As far as pure performance goes I'll take an 03 or 04 Cobra over an fbody any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Why? Well, I don't want to have to do a major mod to my LSx when I can just buy the factory Cobra and keep my warranty and resale high. Sure, put 10k into an LSx and I'm sure you could beat a stock Cobra but then try to sell that Super Charged LSx and see how much money you get over a stock LSx.

Can't we just admit that both cars are fun cars and leave it at that? You are never going to convince the Mustang guys that the LSx is better just like none of you guys want to hear the Mustang is better. Why do these threads always turn into a giant pissing contest?

Ok, RANT OFF
Old 06-12-2006 | 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mike02z
There are advantages and disadvantages to BOTH cars. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised that this site is so anti Mustang but let me tell you, if the LS1 was hands down the better car then why have so many Mustangs been sold? Hmmm...Did Ford cancel the Mustang due to poor sales? Oh wait, that was GM with the beloved and "MUCH" better Camaro/Firebird
Ok, the reason so many mustangs have been sold is b/c they are cheap!! hahaha that is like saying a civic is a better import than a supra b/c they have sold more civics haha. That is the reason most people have mustangs, Price. For the average car buyer that sees 2 american muscle cars and one is 30% cheaper, of course they will buy the mustang, and then later realize why the ls1 cost a little bit more...it is a better car.

Originally Posted by mike02z
Can't we just admit that both cars are fun cars and leave it at that? You are never going to convince the Mustang guys that the LSx is better just like none of you guys want to hear the Mustang is better. Why do these threads always turn into a giant pissing contest?
No, we can never just admit that both of these cars our fun, even though they are and I agree with you here, it wont happen...GM vs. Ford is classic and the arguement will always continue, what else would we fill up all these message boards with...actual good info

Last edited by jpat1023; 06-12-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2006 | 07:03 PM
Teching In

if anybody wants to talk about fast for cheep.. go to you local suzuki dealer, purchase an 06 hayabusa, and put 15 psi in the bitch. your in it 20k at the most. should have somthing north of 400hp, in a 500-or so-lb bike and would be able to SMOKE all of the above...jmo... i, myself am a big fan of the cobra. if i had the $$$ i would get one instead of a ls car. but thats my opinion.
or if you wanted to be different and burn alot of money, get a desiel. my grandpa has an 05 superduty with a 4", intake, banks, and gears. it might weigh a little over 7000lbs bit it has somthing like 900lbft and who knows wow much hp, i think close to 600. it'll SMOKE the tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, w/ an auto. and its walked from anything hes gone against. im not sain he has raced ws6's or anything, but its damn fast for the weight.

sorry for the offtopic. cobra all the way
Old 06-13-2006 | 01:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
, if the LS1 was hands down the better car then why have so many Mustangs been sold? Hmmm...Did Ford cancel the Mustang due to poor sales?
It does however seem that 80% of newer mustangs are v6s and 70% of those are driven by women. I don't see too many women driving f-bodies. I think the 99-04 mustangs look very nice and for the price they seemed like a better deal to the general public. But I get tired of looking at them. Especially since most are v6s. And I see alot more ls1 cars riding around than I see cobras(not just the supercharged ones) or mach 1s. I would have to say a much larger % of performance enthusiasts were buying the ss/ws6 over the cobra/mach 1 compared to thier lower end counter parts. But those cars aren't where ford or gm are make most of thier money. It's off the millions of v6s being sold. All that and the GT mustangs were marketed better and cheaper than the base model ls1/lt1 cars.
Old 06-13-2006 | 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

hands down, 03 04 cobras are sweet cars.. where else can you invest a little over 1k and have 450rwhp if not more.. they look 10x better than the GTs and they sound nasty.... If you plan on supercharging your Camaro, i wouldnt, unless your getting everything forged.. You should be able to run almost 500 rwhp safe for a little while but all a cobra needs is a ported blower and some nos and your *** is toast, and their interals come forged stock.. I would just get cam, heads, and a 100 shot so youre in a safer N/a range of 430-450 rwhp but still have that 550 hp available when you need it.. and since cobras are heavier, you should be able to take just about anything up to 600rwhp.. then you can use that extra 5g on a rear, suspension, broken parts etc.. OR JUST DO WHAT YOU CANT AFFORD BUT WOULD REALLY LIKE TO... GET THE COBRA KEEP THE CAMARO
Old 06-13-2006 | 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by carado1984
hands down, 03 04 cobras are sweet cars.. where else can you invest a little over 1k and have 450rwhp if not more..
Considering the Fbody is about 250lbs lighter, it can give you an equal amount for about $1000, i.e, 425rwhp. Lid, headers, cutout, 100shot = 425+rwhp. Another alternative would be a cheaper H/C setup, but that would be about $2500 -- yeah, it cost $1000 more than a Cobra, but big deal.