Old 06-07-2006 | 10:09 PM
Teching In

Default new to forum need some help

what is the difference between ls1 ls2 ls4 ls6 lt1 lt4 engines
Old 06-07-2006 | 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by berger02camaro
what is the difference between ls1 ls2 ls4 ls6 lt1 lt4 engines
Way too much to explain in a single post.

Have you ever tried Barnes & Noble?
Old 06-07-2006 | 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1 = Gen III small block Chevy. Classic small blocks = Gen 1, LT1 was changed enough to be intermediate generation small block, i.e. gen II. LS1 has many improvements over classic SBC, especially the heads which flow much better than old 350 heads, leading to a huge increase in power even in stock form. Basically, a stock LS1 produces as much power stock as a lot of gen I SBCs used to in modded form back in the day. Also has an all aluminum block with 6 bolt mains, racing only stuff back in the stone age.

LT1 = an improved version of the classic SBC, better heads, reverse cooling, optispark instead of a distributor. Only lasted a few years cause it was superceded by the LS1. LT4 was the highest factory performance variant of the LT1 in it's last year of car production, 1996 in Vettes, 97 in Fbods. Better heads, cam. Used in 6 speed Vettes and a few rare fbods in 97.

LS6 = higher perf version of LS1, 346 cubes like LS1 from 01-04, with a bigger cam, different intake than 98-00 LS1s, better heads. Vette mostly, used also in Caddy CTS-V. Superceded by the all conquering 427 in the Vette as the highest HP engine. LS2 = update to the LS1, used after 2004. Better heads, more cubes, etc.

As far as LS4, LQ9, etc, there are a bunch of LSx type engines running around in different vehicles. More cubes, fewer cubes, different heads, head materials, block materials, blah, blah, than the LS1, but share the same basic engine design.

LSx type parts do not interchange with classic SBC, LT1/4 engines. Only thing they have in common is the rod bearing size and bore spacing spec.

I've had a few beers, so I probably screwed something up, but that's a rough sketch.

Last edited by angel71rs; 06-07-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2006 | 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by angel71rs
LS1 = Gen III small block Chevy. Classic small blocks = Gen 1, LT1 was changed enough to be intermediate generation small block, i.e. gen II. LS1 has many improvements over classic SBC, especially the heads which flow much better than old 350 heads, leading to a huge increase in power even in stock form. Basically, a stock LS1 produces as much power stock as a lot of gen I SBCs used to in modded form back in the day. Also has an all aluminum block with 6 bolt mains, racing only stuff back in the stone age.

LT1 = an improved version of the classic SBC, better heads, reverse cooling, optispark instead of a distributor. Only lasted a few years cause it was superceded by the LS1. LT4 was the highest factory performance variant of the LT1 in it's last year of car production, 1996 in Vettes, 97 in Fbods. Better heads, cam. Used in 6 speed Vettes and a few rare fbods in 97.

LS6 = higher perf version of LS1, 346 cubes like LS1 from 01-04, with a bigger cam, different intake than 98-00 LS1s, better heads. Vette mostly, used also in Caddy CTS-V. Superceded by the all conquering 427 in the Vette as the highest HP engine. LS2 = update to the LS1, used after 2004. Better heads, more cubes, etc.

As far as LS4, LQ9, etc, there are a bunch of LSx type engines running around in different vehicles. More cubes, fewer cubes, different heads, head materials, block materials, blah, blah, than the LS1, but share the same basic engine design.

LSx type parts do not interchange with classic SBC, LT1/4 engines. Only thing they have in common is the rod bearing size and bore spacing spec.

I've had a few beers, so I probably screwed something up, but that's a rough sketch.
pretty much on target, theres other smaller differences but thats like pulling teeth, check out the search on engine type
Old 06-07-2006 | 11:30 PM
Banned

Guys don't waste time on this troll.

He's in the special edition section showing pictures of somebody else's $100,000 Berger ZL1 427 Camaro that he claims his dad gave him for graduation.

Total troll who's going to get completely reamed when daybreak hits and more people see that thread.

Phucking loser.
Old 06-10-2006 | 11:43 PM
Teching In

Difference Is Power. Period.