New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z or WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006 | 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
The extra 25 hp he mentions IS mythical. Notice your link is horsepower ratings, not actual power.

The WS6/SS really doesn't make any more power than the Formula/Z28 unless it came equipped with (overpriced) Y2Y options from SLP. The Corvette doesn't even make more power than the F-body.

The WS6 certainly does not make $4k worth of additional power. Maybe $100 worth....maybe.
this is pretty accurate.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ck+fastest+ls1
Old 06-29-2006 | 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
Yes it is. Since all LS1s make roughly equal power, it makes sense that the fastest is the lightest.
Old 06-29-2006 | 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it is. Since all LS1s make roughly equal power, it makes sense that the fastest is the lightest.
Not exactly. There is only about a 40 pound difference between a stripper Z and the other various models. Not including Verts.

As for horsepower differences. Like was mentioned some cars run better than others. Tolerances, miles, etc.

The minor differences on the SS, WS6, and Firehawk kind of get washed out due to this but they still have free-er flowing exhausts, bigger air box, etc so it's really hard to say. Hell factor in the weight of the driver also. The cars are so close it's really comes down to how the vehicle runs and has been taken care of.
Old 06-29-2006 | 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

i agree.. and i got an ss. unless equiped with the slp options (i got the exhaust) then the SS/ws6 is no better.. excluding looks
Old 06-29-2006 | 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Not exactly. There is only about a 40 pound difference between a stripper Z and the other various models. Not including Verts.
Do you have a source for this?

I have to believe that a loaded F-body has more than 40 pounds in extra weight. The difference in weight between cloth and leather/power seats alone is probably close to that.
Old 06-29-2006 | 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

get the Z and mod that **** to hell
Old 06-30-2006 | 01:26 AM
TECH Veteran

so how come when my car was bone stock, i raced a bone stock 00 Z28 and beat him????? if you say they're identical then we should've stayed neck and neck the whole time, right? or am i misunderstanding you? it was 1/4 mile length and A4 vs A4 if i'm not mistaken the SS camaro's got a better gear ratio than the Z28's from the factory and wouldn't a better flowing exhuast and intake get some more hp?????? if that was true i wouldn't have gained any hp when i put on my lid, filter smooth bellows, y-pipe and loudmouth exhuast
Old 06-30-2006 | 07:11 AM
Tech Resident

different drivers. you can race either one for the win. there IS a tad more hp in the SS/WS6 due to the ram air and better designed exhaust, but it's nothing the Z28's lighter weight can't account for. even without the extra weight, it's a driver's race.
Old 06-30-2006 | 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have a source for this?

I have to believe that a loaded F-body has more than 40 pounds in extra weight. The difference in weight between cloth and leather/power seats alone is probably close to that.
It's somewhere in the stickies and has been posted many times. The weight difference is minimal on our cars. Stock that is. You start adding stereos and cages, etc. or stripping out stuff then that all changes.
Old 06-30-2006 | 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dal1as
It's somewhere in the stickies and has been posted many times. The weight difference is minimal on our cars. Stock that is. You start adding stereos and cages, etc. or stripping out stuff then that all changes.
Looks like I was a little off by the numbers but it looks like the weight varies from about 40 to 80 pounds between a Z-28 and WS6 and such.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....83&postcount=5
Old 06-30-2006 | 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

so in theory if i race a guy who weighs 30 more pounds than me and has the same exact car as me and the same exact mods, i should be able to beat him in a race?
Old 06-30-2006 | 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000HTSS
so in theory if i race a guy who weighs 30 more pounds than me and has the same exact car as me and the same exact mods, i should be able to beat him in a race?
If all other factors (weight of car, driver skill, reaction, mods the same, cars run the same, etc.) are equal then maybe. He may get better traction though with the extra weight. lol
Old 06-30-2006 | 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

so how come when my car was bone stock, i raced a bone stock 00 Z28 and beat him????? if you say they're identical then we should've stayed neck and neck the whole time, right? or am i misunderstanding you?
What tires did you have? What PSI were they at? How hot were they? What about him? How much gas was in your tank? His? How much do you weight? Him? How much extra weight did each of you have? Surefly you have something in your car besides floor mats and yourself. What condition were your spark plugs? His? How many miles did each of you have? What Air/fuel ratio were each of you running? Did you hit the gas to start your race at exactly the same instant? Did either of you have a window partially down, and if so were they up/down exactly the same? Was there a side wind that one of you would block from the other? What gear ratio did he have? Maybe he was unlucky and got the 2.73s.

Surely you get the idea. Too many variables, which is why you can't run two Z28s from the same year with the same tranny and expect them to be a perfect tie.

it was 1/4 mile length and A4 vs A4 if i'm not mistaken the SS camaro's got a better gear ratio than the Z28's from the factory
You are mistaken. A4 gear options are 2.73 and 3.23. Plenty of Z28s have 3.23s stock...mine included. It's option code GU5, IIRC. On the window sticker is "performance axle ratio" or something similer and cost $400.
I do believe that all SS models came with 3.23 gears, not sure though, that is probably what you are thinking of.

and wouldn't a better flowing exhuast and intake get some more hp?????? if that was true i wouldn't have gained any hp when i put on my lid, filter smooth bellows, y-pipe and loudmouth exhuast

SS's didn't come with a higher flowing intake. As said previously the only way to get additonal power from an SS/WS6 is with SLP Y2Y options, which are basically like adding an overpriced (IMO) catback and lid to you car.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 06-30-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2006 | 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

You are mistaken. A4 gear options are 2.73 and 3.23. Plenty of Z28s have 3.23s stock...mine included. It's option code GU5, IIRC. On the window sticker is "performance axle ratio" or something similer and cost $400.
I do believe that all SS models came with 3.23 gears, not sure though, that is probably what you are thinking of.
thats what i was referring to the SS came stock with the 3.23 gears and had the option of 3.73 gears

SS's didn't come with a higher flowing intake. As said previously the only way to get additonal power from an SS/WS6 is with SLP Y2Y options, which are basically like adding an overpriced (IMO) catback and lid to you car.
so if you ordered that option it did COME with the catback and lid, hence the 345 hp SLP package in 01-02. blackwing lid (ONLY AFTERMARKET LID SMOG LEGAL FOR F-BODIES IN CALIFORNIA) without those stupid resonators on the side. which actually does make a differnece, i know this cause i had the stock intake on my SS until last november, and a better catback isn't the SLP option catback less restrictive?? similar to purchasing the GMMG catback exhaust. yeah it's another catback but why would people swear that you gain HP with it?

this is the stock lid

and this is the SLP option 345 HP package lid

notice the blackwing symbol on the bottom right side of the lid

would my SS be a stripper? cloth seats, no traction control, no disc changer in the back, only power accessories are windows, door locks and mirrors and it's a hard top

Last edited by 2000HTSS; 06-30-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2006 | 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Poor analogy, and not true. If I could leave home with either four quarters or a one dollar bill in my pocket, right now, I really really really do not have a preference for one or the other. That does not mean I am going to sit here for eternity without choosing.

I would flip one of the quarters and let it decide.

They are over priced. I would almost always pick pewter over red though. I think WS6's look mean and %&$&, but would never want a red one.
you know you would pick the paper bill so u dont have loose change or the weight in your pocket

Last edited by rgaynor85; 06-30-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2006 | 02:10 PM
Tech Resident

thats what i was referring to the SS came stock with the 3.23 gears and had the option of 3.73 gears
mmm at no point where 3.73's ever an option. it was 3.23 for an SS auto, 3.42 for every M6 f-body. for A4 Z28's it was 2.73 standard with 3.23 as an optional performance enhancement.

FWIW my formula came with the SLP lid and it looks nothing like that...

mine looks like the aftermarket one minus the sticker.
Old 06-30-2006 | 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

No. 3.73 gears were not an option on ANY factory vehicle. Like I said earlier, autos were 2.73 oe 3.23. Manuals were 3.42. That is it.

so if you ordered that option it did COME with the catback and lid, hence the 345 hp SLP package in 01-02. blackwing lid (ONLY AFTERMARKET LID SMOG LEGAL FOR F-BODIES IN CALIFORNIA) without those stupid resonators on the side. which actually does make a differnece, i know this cause i had the stock intake on my SS until last november, and a better catback isn't the SLP option catback less restrictive?? similar to purchasing the GMMG catback exhaust. yeah it's another catback but why would people swear that you gain HP with it?

this is the stock lid
Most SSs and WS6s did not come with those overpriced SLP components. Like I/we have said all along, the SS or WS6 will make more power if it comes with those SLP options. However, you can buy a Formula or Z28 for a lot less and simply add the cat-back/lid of your choosing to make as much or more power for a lot less money.

I don't worry about what is smog legal in Kommifornia, I will die a happy man if I never step foot in that state again, and God as my witness I will never, ever, ever live there.