Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do stock LS1s run so hot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroz
My friend has a 99 Z28 and the temp gauge doesn't move at all. stays right at 210 Mine goes from 170-200 at most in heavy traffic on a hot day.
read above^^^. only 1998 temp gauges work. 1999-2002 gauges show a millimeter before 210* always unless it's cold or overheating.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
read above^^^. only 1998 temp gauges work. 1999-2002 gauges show a millimeter before 210* always unless it's cold or overheating.
Haha, I know buddy.. I was just stating my temp gauge pwns yours.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

like i stated my 02 temp stays at 210. i was thinking of turning the fans to come on 190 - 200?? what do you say??
Old 06-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
like i stated my 02 temp stays at 210. i was thinking of turning the fans to come on 190 - 200?? what do you say??
it's up to you. i don't see a point. your engine was designed and tuned to run a certain way. i find things get messed up when you change them. generally, a stock car will outlast a modded car. things break when you mess with them. i see no point in changing it. it's not gonna do much if anything for you.

all i honestly see it doing is cutting your alternator's life. the only part of the car i'd invest better cooling in is the tranny.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

it's up to you. i don't see a point. your engine was designed and tuned to run a certain way. i find things get messed up when you change them. generally, a stock car will outlast a modded car. things break when you mess with them. i see no point in changing it. it's not gonna do much if anything for you.

all i honestly see it doing is cutting your alternator's life. the only part of the car i'd invest better cooling in is the tranny.
Yea, I think I'm gonna stick with the stock temps on my fans, I don't want to kill em and I'm never going to do that many mods.

As far as the tranny goes, any additional cooling for the M6, or are you just talking about autos?
Old 06-29-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i'm glad i read this thread AFTER I BOUGHT MY TSTAT! grrrrrr
Old 06-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Shatterz
Yea, I think I'm gonna stick with the stock temps on my fans, I don't want to kill em and I'm never going to do that many mods.

As far as the tranny goes, any additional cooling for the M6, or are you just talking about autos?
i'm scared of the 4L60E. it was in my V6 with 160hp. granted it'll take abuse all day every day, it's scary that it was put in a 160hp V8 in 1995 and STILL being used in a V8 with 350+hp in 2001. it just seems like it was built for something weaker.

the M6 is much stronger. they're as strong stock as a 4L60E is built. plus M6's do less work so i ASSUME they don't get as hot. that being said, a tranny cooler is less than $50. they can't hurt, only help so i say if you find your car on a lift sometime soon, you may as well put one on...

i'm no tranny expert. i'm just using my knowledge of science/physics here.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

I tuned my 98 TA with the HPP3 so that the fans come on at a lower temperature. My car doesn't see 210 even on hot days.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm scared of the 4L60E. it was in my V6 with 160hp. granted it'll take abuse all day every day, it's scary that it was put in a 160hp V8 in 1995 and STILL being used in a V8 with 350+hp in 2001. it just seems like it was built for something weaker.

the M6 is much stronger. they're as strong stock as a 4L60E is built. plus M6's do less work so i ASSUME they don't get as hot. that being said, a tranny cooler is less than $50. they can't hurt, only help so i say if you find your car on a lift sometime soon, you may as well put one on...

i'm no tranny expert. i'm just using my knowledge of science/physics here.

The A4 is tough as hell!
Old 06-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
The A4 is tough as hell!
depends. it'll hold if you keep your car stock but if you cam it or anything big...you got problems...
Old 06-29-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea you know what you make a valid point.. BTW what is your name?? the reason i was thinking of setting it a little cooler is b/c cars react a lot better to cooler weather, cooler air. so it would make sense. makes them run a littler richer that is why you get more HP.. but you are right it came from the factory to run at a specific temp.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt say that the car is designed to operate at a certain temperature. It's designed to operate under a temperature. The fans are there to keep the car from over heating, not to keep it cool.

But think about it logically, the cooler the car runs the better. Thats common knowledge, thats why you take your car to the track in November, chances are your ET is going to be better than when you take it in July.

I dont see how you would have any ill effects on the motor buy putting in a 160 thermostat. Only way I could see it being adverse would be if the stat stuck and the car overheated.

If you go by that train of though, your car was engineered to run with stock manifolds and exhaust, but does it run better with them as opposed to headers and aftermarket exhaust?

And also, for the most part, yes, a stock car will last longer than a modded car. But in general, a person that leaves their car stock, isnt as obsessed with speed as most of this board and wont beat their car up near as bad.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
The A4 is tough as hell!

Old 06-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by chadtx01
I dont see how you would have any ill effects on the motor buy putting in a 160 thermostat. Only way I could see it being adverse would be if the stat stuck and the car overheated.
the engine wasn't tuned to run at cool temperatures. the PCM is programmed for air/fuel ratios and all that. if the engine is running cooler, things get changed. that's why when you run a 160* thermostat, you should get it tuned properly. no matter what, your fuel economy gets cut and emissions go way up when you run cool.

engines today like to run hot. they're tuned for efficiency, not raw power. that's why 160* t-stats are required when you run nitrous and FI and all that other good stuff. then you need your timing adjusted and you need a retune etc etc etc.....

it's better to leave your engine running the way it is. simple as that.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
yea you know what you make a valid point.. BTW what is your name?? the reason i was thinking of setting it a little cooler is b/c cars react a lot better to cooler weather, cooler air. so it would make sense. makes them run a littler richer that is why you get more HP.. but you are right it came from the factory to run at a specific temp.
Anthony's the name, don't wear it out...or something like that...
Old 06-29-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

the engine wasn't tuned to run at cool temperatures. the PCM is programmed for air/fuel ratios and all that. if the engine is running cooler, things get changed. that's why when you run a 160* thermostat, you should get it tuned properly. no matter what, your fuel economy gets cut and emissions go way up when you run cool.

engines today like to run hot. they're tuned for efficiency, not raw power. that's why 160* t-stats are required when you run nitrous and FI and all that other good stuff. then you need your timing adjusted and you need a retune etc etc etc.....

it's better to leave your engine running the way it is. simple as that.
Wow, hate to get into this again, but you're stating opinions as if they're facts.

They arent. I would say that perhaps a honda is tuned for efficiency, but you bought a performance car. You can say as much as you want about tuning and performance but numbers dont lie. Go run your car in 95 degree weather, then go run it in 45 degree weather and let us know which run turns out better.

Simple as that.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, hate to get into this again, but you're stating opinions as if they're facts.

They arent. I would say that perhaps a honda is tuned for efficiency, but you bought a performance car. You can say as much as you want about tuning and performance but numbers dont lie. Go run your car in 95 degree weather, then go run it in 45 degree weather and let us know which run turns out better.

Simple as that.
Running in November is better due to the air intake not the temperature of the engine. As for the T-stat. I dunno. I was told by some very knowledgable people to leave it stock and they set up the fans to come on earlier.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Either way you don't benefit from either a 160 or a 180 without editing your pcm for the fans to come on earlier.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple as that.
Do not confuse engine temperature with IAT (intake air temperature).
Old 06-29-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Do not confuse engine temperature with IAT (intake air temperature).
I'm just trying to use that as an example. I just dont see how a thermostat is detrimental, regardless of what the engineering student says.

If you wanted to buy a LS1 car and leave it bone stock, you're pretty much on the wrong sight. For the most part, even the members with stock cars have aspirations of modding.

Quick Reply: Why do stock LS1s run so hot?