Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do stock LS1s run so hot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chadtx01
even the members with stock cars have aspirations of modding.
******' right we do!!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Everyone needs to keep one thing in mind. The LS1 (nor any other motor for that matter) was NOT designed to run at any one single temp. It was designed to operate within a temp range. 192F (+/-2*) on the low end (as that is the coldest the coolant will remain with the stock t-stat after engine warm-up, regardless of fan settings) and 235F (+/-2*) on the high end (as that is the warmest the stock fan settings are supposed to allow the coolant to become).

So long as you are operating the motor somewhere within that range, everything should be fine.

As for cooler motors making more power, that's not really true (unless you're having detonation issues and need to cool the combustion chamber & cylinder head temp due to increased CR, boost, etc.). As stated above, it's the cooler (more dense) outside air that the motor is breathing that's making you run faster on the cold dry days vs warm humid days.

Back in the days of metal intakes, running the motor cooler helped more because the metal/aluminum intake would become heat soaked from the hot engine, retain the heat for a long time, and pass it on to the intake air charge. Back when I had my TPI/L98 3rd gen, we used to put bags of ice on the intake to cool it down between runs. With the plastic intake of the LS1, this is not really an issue like it was with the LT1 and prior SBCs.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 06-29-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

now i know why my temp gauge never moved when i put the 160 stat in and hpp3, and my buddys 98 did lower.
i'm changing mine back when i change my water pump

lots of good info and points
Old 06-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, hate to get into this again, but you're stating opinions as if they're facts.

They arent. I would say that perhaps a honda is tuned for efficiency, but you bought a performance car. You can say as much as you want about tuning and performance but numbers dont lie. Go run your car in 95 degree weather, then go run it in 45 degree weather and let us know which run turns out better.

Simple as that.
you sir, are REALLY beginning to get under my skin in this thread. just because you don't know something to be true doesn't make it an opinion. you are not the almighty keeper of facts.

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/tips.htm

fuel mileage tips, post 10:

10. Replace your thermostat with a new one that is 195 degrees because a hotter engine has better efficiency and lasts longer. NEVER use a cold thermostat setting. The good additives in the oil are not triggered unless the oil reaches the proper running temperature. This will boost your mileage for sure due to improved Thermal Efficiency with a warmer coolant temperature. Your ScanGauge can reveal your exact engine coolant temperature. Thermal Efficiency is the most critical element of an engine.

this is basic physics. your engine takes in water vapor from the air. it becomes diluted. it turns to ****. since your engine is never reaching 212*, the water never boils out. now you have an ultra thin, dilulted water-oil concoction that has had all its beneficial additives taken away.

you're the first human being that has absolutely zero bias between two completelty cars, fine, but don't you tell me it's my opinion on how science works. a warm engine is a happy engine. that's why we let our engines warm up before we take them for a hard romp.

your vehicle is TUNED for a 186 degree thermostat, not a 160 degree thermostat. it's what your engine was designed to do. your engine was designed with emissions and economy standards in mind. stop ******* with parts that make no real horsepower difference unless you're running extreme setups like h/c w/FI & nitrous. you will see no benefit, unless you consider a lighter wallet beneficial.

do NOT compair air intake temperature to your thermostat. a lower thermostat has absolutely no affect on the temperature/quality of air entering your throttle body. you're talking to an engineering student here. you're only gonna get into an argument.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-29-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not the first human, there were numerous other people that said the same thing.

BTW, you're little story up there, which I didnt read all of because I really didnt feel like wasting my time. I didnt notice though ,that it said tips for better fuel economy, not rules of the LS1.

I for one didnt buy my car for fuel economy, i bought it for performance. If you were looking for a gas saver though, I'd say you made a mistake, but I'm not the engineering student so I wont try to state opinions and play them off as facts.

And sorry if I'm getting under your skin, we were so close to being friends. Damn, I guess I've just screwed myself over.

BTW, since you're an engineering major and not an english major, I'm gonna help you out. There arent that many e's in reprimanded. Besides that, it was pretty good. GO DREXEL!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everybody shut up now. LS1's dont run any hotter than any other modern engine. Your LS1 isnt going to over heat. Whats the big deal?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Tech Resident

I'm not the first human, there were numerous other people that said the same thing.

BTW, you're little story up there, which I didnt read all of because I really didnt feel like wasting my time. I didnt notice though ,that it said tips for better fuel economy, not rules of the LS1.

I for one didnt buy my car for fuel economy, i bought it for performance. If you were looking for a gas saver though, I'd say you made a mistake, but I'm not the engineering student so I wont try to state opinions and play them off as facts.

And sorry if I'm getting under your skin, we were so close to being friends. Damn, I guess I've just screwed myself over.
so in your opinion, it's a good idea to pay $50 for a thermostat, install it which is a pain in the ***, lose 3mpg and see absolutely no performance increase. great idea. i'll surely vote for you if you ever run for president. your thought processes are astounding.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
you're the first human being that has absolutely zero bias between two completelty cars
I'll be the 2nd.
Originally Posted by JRP
WHEN COMPARING CARS OF THE SAME YEAR AND TRANNY AN LS1 IS AN LS1 IS AN LS1 IS AN LS1 IS AN LS1 SO STOP WITH THE PETTY BULLSHIT.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by camaroextra
everybody shut up now. LS1's dont run any hotter than any other modern engine. Your LS1 isnt going to over heat. Whats the big deal?
that's exactly what i'm preaching here. a 160* thermostat costs money at the expense of no performance. for all of you too stubborn to believe this, please, i beg you, put one in, calculate your new fuel economy and hit a dyno.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's exactly what i'm preaching here. a 160* thermostat costs money at the expense of no performance. for all of you too stubborn to believe this, please, i beg you, put one in, calculate your new fuel economy and hit a dyno.
If you believe so much in what you say. why not do it yourself and prove it for us.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you, I'll be looking forward to your vote. That my friend, is the first smart thing you've said all night.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroz
If you believe so much in what you say. why not do it yourself and prove it for us.

I'll do it. Send me the thermostat (I will return it) and pay for the dyno time, I will cover installing and removing the thermostat.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Tech Resident

for all you justifying a low thermostat by not caring about fuel mpg, here's a little information on engine wear:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Thermostats.html

choice quotes:

missing thermostats increase engine wear 15-17%.

When the engine is cold, the combustion byproducts contaminate the oil and promote acid and sludge formation. If you've ever cleaned our your oil strainer you've probably seen the sludge. Colder oil is thicker oil which means higher oil pressures and can mean more wear on the moving parts.

There is a complex relationship between the oil temperature, the thermostat and the cylinder head temperature. Don't try to outsmart the VW engineers who worked on that engine design for 40 years.
(insert general motors in place of VW as same rules apply)

if you all wanna ruin your fuel mpg and **** up your engine with sludgy, water-ridden, viscous oil that can't hold on to its additives, be my guest. i'm trying to help you guys out and save you some time and money. if you don't believe me, or believe science and engineering, at least i can say i tried.

some people are just so damn stubborn you can't even talk to them.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go Drexel!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Tech Resident

go ignorance and the inability to admit they're wrong for any reason!

my god this is getting
Old 06-29-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

hey chocotaco, i wasnt agreeing with you, a 160 degree thermostat doesnt keep an engine any cooler. It just cools it sooners. Not even that much sooner. the only downside to a new thermostat is water pump wear. whatever the theory is, this is the facts of what happens on LS1's. and i go by facts not theories
Old 06-29-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

go ignorance and the inability to admit they're wrong for any reason!

my god this is getting
You're right. I'm wrong, I'll know bow to the ever powerful engineering student from Drexel.

Honestly, I just like messing with you because you get so pissed, it amuses me. If you stopped stating your opinions like they were cut and dry facts, you would receive no grief from me. Now, I'll stop responding so that this thread can run its course and die a peaceful death.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by camaroextra
hey chocotaco, i wasnt agreeing with you, a 160 degree thermostat doesnt keep an engine any cooler. It just cools it sooners. Not even that much sooner. the only downside to a new thermostat is water pump wear. whatever the theory is, this is the facts of what happens on LS1's. and i go by facts not theories
not necessarily true. a thermostat will have no affect while sitting and idling in stop-and-go traffic as the coolant heats up to the point where the fans come on. the lower thermostat DOES make your car warm up a lot slower and will greatly impact your highway fuel economy since the constant air movement is cooling the car down. i used to have a 160* thermostat in my older car. it had a true temperature gauge. it effectively dropped the coolant temperature ~30 degrees when cruising on the highway. that car rarely saw stop-and-go traffic since i had a different job than i do now. the temperature difference was HUGE.

i did a stupid thing years back and put it in listening to the hype about thermostats. then i watched my fuel economy drop and watched my oil get blacker and blacker. then i seafoamed the oil and it came out like tar. stupid idea to get the t-stat. oh guess how much faster it felt? yea, slow as ****. ran a 16.7.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Tech Resident

You're right. I'm wrong, I'll know bow to the ever powerful engineering student from Drexel.

Honestly, I just like messing with you because you get so pissed, it amuses me. If you stopped stating your opinions like they were cut and dry facts, you would receive no grief from me. Now, I'll stop responding so that this thread can run its course and die a peaceful death.
i don't get pissed. i enjoy educating. don't play it off like you didn't wanna be the hero of this thread taking it in a completely different direction and providing enlightenment to the masses. i'm just trying to clear up a common misconception.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

well i put a 160 thermo in my LT1 and i havent noticed any mileage losses ..... i did to many other things at once to know if any power gains came up but i didnt lose any gas mileage from it

Quick Reply: Why do stock LS1s run so hot?