Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do stock LS1s run so hot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why do stock LS1s run so hot?

Been searching for info on this for a while. I can't undrstand why these cars come from the factory running so hot. It seems to be contradictory to have a hi-perf car with such high stock operating temps The temps the fans come on seem be ridiculous. Is there any reason for these motors to run really hot, are their any disadvantages to running a cooler t-stat and or setting the fans to come on sooner?
Old 06-27-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Disadvantages??? How about advantages ! !
Old 06-27-2006, 09:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'd guess mostly for emissions and gas mileage reasons. Hotter running temps = cleaner exhaust/better burn.

I really don't see a need for a cooler T-stat for a stock or bolt-on car. I'd leave the stock unit and tune the fans to cut on at reasonable temps. I've got mine cycling between 194-204 with the stock stat and reprogramed fans. I've tried cooler stats as well (with supporting fan settings) but saw no gains. The factory fan settings allow the car to reach temps as high as 230* idling in traffic, regardless of the stat you use (need to change fan settings to make any difference for stop and go driving).
Old 06-28-2006, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for changing the fan settings (or using a fan switch) and leaving the T-stat stock. The LS1 actually likes to have a bit of heat in it, and the stock thermostat is at a good temperature once you get the fans set accordingly.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Since the 80's L98 cars the f-body's have always been set with the fans
not to come on until about 223 deg....mostly for emissions
Old 06-28-2006, 07:10 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you gotta understand something....

engines of today are completely different from engines of the past. if you talk to an old muscle car buff, he'll tell you lower engine temps are better. why? that's what the big muscle cars were designed to run at...40 years ago. cool engine temps. of course, this was in the day of no emissions laws and $.30 gasoline. todays engines are designed completely different.

engines run better today hot. they make less emissions and FAR better fuel economy. low temp thermostats are known to significantly reduce fuel economy. i've read reports of fuel economy loss as much as 4mpg. simply put, our engines don't need to run cool because they weren't designed to run cool.

also, what about water in your oil? one of the biggest disadvantages of running a cool engine is that it never reaches temps to boil water. if any water gets in your oil, and it does 100% of the time due to water vapor, the engine simply never gets hot enough to evaporate water out of your oil.

210* is a good engine temp with today's motor's. that's how they were designed to run. anything cooler will just result in poor fuel economy, water in your oil and *probably* reduced engine life down the line. cooler engines are a myth by today's standards. it's just not needed. my thermostat will stay a stock 180* and my fan settings will never change. i like my 22mpg and i'm still plenty fast enough to beat 95%+ of the cars i come across on my daily commute.

i wanna add that you'll only need to replace your thermostat if you tune your engine to run for a lower thermostat. you need to change the timing accordingly. you can't just change fans and thermostats on a stock tune. all you'll be doing is hurting yourself. i see no reason to run lower fans/lower t-stat unless you're a drag car and running nitrous+FI+god knows what else. this is just senseless for a DD.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Knowledge is a Beautfiul Thing !! I never knew it hurt the fuel economy and Emissions so much, I have a 160 and HPP Programmed to it, I am debating going back to my 180 or maybe even closer to stock. Granted, my engine is alot safer than your guys, but these cars aren't like imports that can't run hot, LS1's can stand some heat, and because of that fact and your knowledge taco, i think i'm gonna make some changes, THanks for the Info !!!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98SS1LWEE
Granted, my engine is alot safer than your guys
How/why is your engine safer, exactly?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 98SS1LWEE
I am debating going back to my 180 or maybe even closer to stock.
Stock t-stat is an 86C unit (186F). Going with the hypertech 180 will net you no change over stock. FYI.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

what is the stock t-stat? my car here in chicago in the summer while cruising or stuckin traffic sit right at 210* is that good? i was think turing the fans on as stated above 190* - 200* to be honsest i dont think i have ever heard my fans kick on.. i never run the a/c.. hate it
Old 06-28-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt

I think he is talking about the guys with strokers, blowers, and nitrous.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
the engine will be safer under extreme heavy duty conditions because chemical reactions happen faster with greater heat. that's why there's no life in cold places in the solar system. reactions happen so slowly, life could never metabolize. same thing holds true with your car. hotter engines will signal detonation faster. of course, if you keep your compression and octane in check you have nothing to worry about. on a DD, your engine won't care if it's 180* or 200*, it's made to run at both. it'll just run better economically/emissions-wise at 200*. the only time you need a cooler engine is if you're running a high compression motor with nitrous/forced induction etc etc etc. on a daily driver like mine that's relatively stock and will only see bolt-ons, you're better off stock

and the stock t-stat is 180*. t-stats don't dictate your engine temperature. it just signals when coolant starts to flow. coolant begins flowing at 180*. once the coolant heats up over 180*, the engine will never get that low until it's cooled again. coolant can't cool itself. you gotta drive without stopping so the air can cool it. the fans regulate your engine temp once it's heated and that's why you usually see engine temps of ~200*.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
what is the stock t-stat? my car here in chicago in the summer while cruising or stuckin traffic sit right at 210* is that good? i was think turing the fans on as stated above 190* - 200* to be honsest i dont think i have ever heard my fans kick on.. i never run the a/c.. hate it
Your car like all the f bodys since 99 (the 98s have an actual temp gauge) have a dummy temp gauge, it functions basically like an idiot light that looks like a gauge, the only time it will move from the 210 mark is when the car overheats.
If you want to know the actual temp of your engine coolant, you need to install an aftermarket gauge
The change was a result of customer complaints about excessive temp gauge fluctuation
Old 06-28-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Your car like all the f bodys since 99 (the 98s have an actual temp gauge) have a dummy temp gauge, it functions basically like an idiot light that looks like a gauge, the only time it will move from the 210 mark is when the car overheats.
If you want to know the actual temp of your engine coolant, you need to install an aftermarket gauge
The change was a result of customer complaints about excessive temp gauge fluctuation

you are right pre 98 cars were actual guages.. all 99+ cars are resistors like you stated too many people compaing about the guage moving
Old 06-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

the engine is suppose to be hot.. that is a good thing!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank god Ive got a 98 motor so I know what the hell the temps actually at (well close at least). Im still messing with the temps I want to keep my motor at. I switched to 160* t-stat because my fans run on a radiator probe, so I figure it would be better to have the coolent flowing earlier for a more accurate temp at the probe. My fans come on at like 170 now but after I get used to how well the fans cool...I might bump it up.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
My 98 LS1 never goes past 210 degrees, even in traffic on a hot day. I thought thats the temp the fans are supposed to kick on at, but I've never actually popped the hood to verify it. Perhaps my temp guage is like the 99+ models or something?? It runs 180 degrees while moving, and about 210 in traffic, never gone higher than that.

ChacoTaco: Good info there man. I'm assuming you know what you are talking about, as it sounds accurate. I'm really surprised to hear all that, I figured a cooler running engine would get better fuel economy than a hot running one, seeing as the incoming air temps would stay cooler.

My car runs 180 degrees whenever I'm moving, do you think that its been adjusted from factory settings?? Is that too cool of a temp??
Old 06-28-2006, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Wow, thx guys for all the great info, I love getting into the techy stuff. I learned alot about motors from the old school guys even though I'm not that old. I definately gotta change my ways of thinking with this LS1. Again lots of great info, keep it coming.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

My friend has a 99 Z28 and the temp gauge doesn't move at all. stays right at 210 Mine goes from 170-200 at most in heavy traffic on a hot day.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
My 98 LS1 never goes past 210 degrees, even in traffic on a hot day. I thought thats the temp the fans are supposed to kick on at, but I've never actually popped the hood to verify it. Perhaps my temp guage is like the 99+ models or something?? It runs 180 degrees while moving, and about 210 in traffic, never gone higher than that.

Check your car with a scanner, you will notice that it does in fact rise above 210 if you idle in traffic long enough with stock fan settings. My car is a '98 as well, and even though my gage never rose past 210 with stock fans either, it certainly did go higher when checked with a scanner.

Stock fan settings are as follows:

Low speed on @227*/off @218*
High speed on @235*/off @228*

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
My car runs 180 degrees whenever I'm moving, do you think that its been adjusted from factory settings?? Is that too cool of a temp??
It's not actually running at 180 if you still have the stock stat. The factory t-stat is an 86C (186F) unit. It will begin to open around 180 degrees, however it will not maintain temps lower than about 190-192 once the motor has warmed up. When you are moving it's going to run much cooler than the factory fan settings because the air passing across the radiator is doing the cooling rather than the fans.

Something everyone needs to remember about the "working" '98 gage. It does in fact show changes in running temps (unlike the '99+ dummy gage), however the reading you see on the dash is not 100% accurate. You will notice that if you check with a scanner, the actual temps do not always exactly match what you might think they are based on the position of the needle. It's FAR better than the useless '99+ gage because you can at least see changes in temp, but it's not 100% perfect. Only a scanner will give you exact info.

Quick Reply: Why do stock LS1s run so hot?