New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for review of my performance plan.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006 | 05:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
But if you ever drive to another state it's worth knowing.
Not as far as I know. If you're registered in one state, then you have to pass spec for that state and that state only. Unless you've heard otherwise? (as you live in the UK, that'd surprise me!)

As far as enforcement, he said his state has no testing. Of course if he's still nervous he can spend the money.
Old 07-04-2006 | 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black_knight
Not as far as I know. If you're registered in one state, then you have to pass spec for that state and that state only. Unless you've heard otherwise? (as you live in the UK, that'd surprise me!)

As far as enforcement, he said his state has no testing. Of course if he's still nervous he can spend the money.
I believe you are correct that you only need to pass in one state (where it registered) but as it's a Federal law then my understanding is it applies in ALL states. So if you got pulled over (speeding, broken brake light) and they noticed or checked your car you could in theory still receive a ticket.

But as I said things change and I daresay it isn't far off when all cars will have to pass sniffer tests. This would bring the US in line with pretty much the rest of the developed world, and due to mounting international pressure on the US to reduce its emissions I think it's just around the corner.

Having said that, if you can get away with why not.

All I was trying to point out is if they already have the cats and as long as they are good enough they won't affect the performance of the car. And they would then also be fully emissions legal as well.
Old 07-04-2006 | 05:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Having said that, if you can get away with why not.
Exactly. I say every dollar counts. He may have the cats, but he still has to pay extra to get them welded into his system, and he can sell them to get his money back.
Old 07-04-2006 | 06:31 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

My desire to run cats is my concession to environmental responsibility. I do not have to decide on cats until my system is ready for install, though.

For now, I have decided to focus on only exhaust. I need to think about induction, and possibly heads/cam, more. I am not worried about my exhaust interfering with handling upgrades, as those will probably be Koni SA’s and Strano sway bars. I think Sam Strano flat out said those are the two best upgrades you can do, maybe outside of tires.

I will probably have this car for a very long time. As economical as Pacesetters are, considering the probable length of ownership, I am still leaning towards stainless. On that note, Thunder Racing has QTP headers on sale now for $652.49 + SH. I am leaning towards ordering them today.
Old 07-04-2006 | 07:02 AM
12 Second Club

My desire to run cats is my concession to environmental responsibility
Well, then, as the guy with "Nuke the Whales" as his avatar, you might guess what I think of that. Well, anyway, you have the facts about cats vs no cats now.

Originally Posted by bsf
I will probably have this car for a very long time. As economical as Pacesetters are, considering the probable length of ownership, I am still leaning towards stainless. On that note, Thunder Racing has QTP headers on sale now for $652.49 + SH. I am leaning towards ordering them today.
Do you plan to run the car during the winter, or garage it for that half of the year?
Old 07-04-2006 | 09:56 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

It gets stored during the winter. Fair weather driven only. I keep it clean; both bottom and top side. If I knew Pacesetters would not rust under these conditions, I would be more likely to get them. If I am going to get QTP’s, I will be ordering them today. I know surface rust has no effect on function, but I am **** about my car.
Old 07-04-2006 | 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Go for QTP's then
Old 07-04-2006 | 02:16 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Yeah, for the headers, it comes down to how particular I am. I really doubt QTP’s will produce enough gain over Pacesetters to justify the price difference. I really like stainless, though. I worry about fitment, but I am willing to take that risk.

Now, I still am not completely sold on the Bassani system. I am set on duals, though. Approximately 9 members have indicated they have the Bassani dual system. In addition, mrr23’s wife has it on her car, also. As far as I know, only one member has voiced any complaints, outside of cost. I do not want dumps. I would like a nice set of polished dual/dual tips, meaning I would have to replace the Bassani tips. I already have a line on some very nice, and affordable tips.

Is the only disadvantage of the under-the-axle setup the need to pull the back half of the system off if the car is going to be jacked up by the frame or rear axle removed? If that is so, I am thinking that is not all that bad, especially if you can find someone to fab one up for much cheaper than the over-the-axle Bassani system. That leads to my next question. The Bassani is 2.5”. Is it reasonable to expect a custom 3” crush bent system to flow at least as well as mandrel-bent 2.5”?
Old 07-04-2006 | 02:49 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

I want to place my order with Thunder Racing today to take advantage of their sale. Very good price on QTP’s. I am not entirely sure what will be needed to finish the system, because I am not absolutely certain how I will do the duals. I think the following is a good start, though. What do you think.

1 - 179-200198 Quick Time Performance 1-3/4" Long Tube Stainless Steel Headers with 3" High Velocity Collectors, 1998-2002 LS1 F-body (Race style) $724.99 $724.99
July 3-4th Sale 10% OFF - $72.50 ($652.49)

2 - 125-109007 Oxygen Sensor Extension, 24" Square 4-Pin $25.00 $50.00
July 3-4th Sale 10% OFF - $5.00 ($45)

2 - 08-35978 Stainless Steel Exhaust Band Clamp, 3" $12.00 $24.00
July 3-4th Sale 10% OFF - $2.40 ($21.60)

1 - 47-7-512 Prothane Polyurethane Motor Mounts, 98-02 F-body $49.99 $49.99
Options
Color: Black
July 3-4th Sale 10% OFF - $5.00 ($44.99)
Old 07-04-2006 | 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bsf
Yeah, for the headers, it comes down to how particular I am. I really doubt QTP’s will produce enough gain over Pacesetters to justify the price difference. I really like stainless, though. I worry about fitment, but I am willing to take that risk.
Sounds like you should go for stainless. Trouble is, you'll want coated, or else you may actually be down on performance over pacesetters.

That leads to my next question. The Bassani is 2.5”. Is it reasonable to expect a custom 3” crush bent system to flow at least as well as mandrel-bent 2.5”?
NO! Do not, under any circumstances, go with a crush-bend system.
Old 07-09-2006 | 08:18 AM
12 Second Club

Hmmm, just noticed that test was done with LS6 heads, not LS1 heads. So now it's doubly irrelevant.