Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

beating six speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
if it's marketed as ram air, i'm going to call it a ram air system since it DOES force air into the intake. the SLP system is not marketed as a ram air system since it lacks the scoop. fasttoys sells the scoop extension.

You are truly ignorant. I am sorry for resorting to childish name calling, but it's true.

You are going by what the manufacturer calls it and nothing else!

BTW: I have run my car at the track with stock airbox, FRA and a CAI. (NOT ram air, no matter what they call it) Have you??
Old 07-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the reason that there are better things out there. i'm a firm believer in the "do it right" mantra. i would never cut up my airbox for the sake of less horsepower than i can count on one hand. i'm EXTREMELY wary of free mods. if they were the end-all-be-all, these upgraded systems like the FTRA and the SSRA wouldn't exist. i'm supporting the FACT that the FTRA is superior to cutting up your airbox and you're arguing with me for absolutely no reason but for the sake of argument. you all started this thread destruction you know, not me.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
You are truly ignorant. I am sorry for resorting to childish name calling, but it's true.

You are going by what the manufacturer calls it and nothing else!

BTW: I have run my car at the track with stock airbox, FRA and a CAI. (NOT ram air, no matter what they call it) Have you??
ignorant of what? that it's superior? that's the ONLY claim i'm making. i'm not arguing definitions. i'm arguing gains. it's a good mod at a reasonable price.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for the reason that there are better things out there. i'm a firm believer in the "do it right" mantra. i would never cut up my airbox for the sake of less horsepower than i can count on one hand. i'm EXTREMELY wary of free mods. if they were the end-all-be-all, these upgraded systems like the FTRA and the SSRA wouldn't exist. i'm supporting the FACT that the FTRA is superior to cutting up your airbox and you're arguing with me for absolutely no reason but for the sake of argument. you all started this thread destruction you know, not me.
So according to your logic it makes more sense to spend 100+ dollars on a FTRA system that might net you say 15 HP on the big end as opposed to absoloutely nothing but time on the FRA mod that might net you 5 HP on the big end.... yea... that makes perfect sense now
Old 07-12-2006, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trust
GMHTP made 10rwhp with free mods. (FRA, !EGR tube, TB bypass)
NO gmhtp made 10 rwhp with a PORTED TB, tb by pass, fra, !egr, and removing maf screen i have the issue right here. I have a feeling most of that power gaind is from the ported tb the rest is a combo of everything else. Not saying free mods are a bad idea just saying there not gunna get you 10rwhp if you dont port your tb your self.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Products exist for a multitude of reasons. Plenty of products exist based on nothing but marketing. Their marketing obviously works on you, as you seem to believe that if they call it a ram air system then it MUST be ram air and is automatically better than cold air induction.

So you are not willing to take fifteen mintues and a saw to gain 5 rwhp? 5 FREE rwhp? You do not belong on LS1 tech if that is the case.

You are doing more than claiming the FTRA is superior to FRA. You claim it as FACT, but have no solid evidence to back it up. No, your opinion does not count.

So, you agree that BOTH FRA and FTRA are worthwhile mods?
Old 07-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Luna
So according to your logic it makes more sense to spend 100+ dollars on a FTRA system that might net you say 15 HP on the big end as opposed to absoloutely nothing but time on the FRA mod that might net you 5 HP on the big end.... yea... that makes perfect sense now
yes, it does make sense. $15 a horsepower isn't too bad IMO, i'd pay for it. and it gives MPG gains which in time @ $3.30 a gallon should pay for itself.

as posted above, the only "Free Mod" i'd do is a ported tb...but it's technically not a free mod.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

yes, it does make sense. $15 a horsepower isn't too bad IMO, i'd pay for it. and it gives MPG gains which in time @ $3.30 a gallon should pay for itself.

as posted above, the only "Free Mod" i'd do is a ported tb...but it's technically not a free mod.

You're ignorance blow's my mind.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

ignorant of what? that it's superior? that's the ONLY claim i'm making. i'm not arguing definitions. i'm arguing gains. it's a good mod at a reasonable price.
You aren't arguing defintions?

In other words you are not willing to admit that the FTRA system is not true ram air.....
Old 07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Old 07-12-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to cut a hole in your airbox for the FTRA, so what's the difference? I'm confused...
Old 07-12-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HD1911

I agree.

Oh and as for why GM put the last 1/4 of the engine under the cowl it was for weight distribution. Other than that I agree with most everybody in this thread except for 1 person.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

if they were the end-all-be-all, these upgraded systems like the FTRA and the SSRA wouldn't exist.
This is perhaps the dumbest thing you have posted yet. Do you really believe that? If there's a way to do it yourself that works that would completely eliminate the demand for any product you could buy that would do the same thing?

Do you know how many people modify things on their cars? A small few. Do you know how many people fabricate their own mods rather than purchasing premade ones? An even smaller number.

Do you know how easy it is to change your oil? Very. Do you know how many people still prefer to pay a mechanic $40 to do it for them? A large amount.

Just because a product exists that performs a certain function does not mean there is no way to do it yourself that will achieve the same result with less money.

As I previously stated in this thread, the FRA mod is one of the oldest people did on these cars. There are dyno and track results dating back more than 7 years which show people did make gains from it, and plenty of posts on it that clearly show there are no problems resulting from it if it's done correctly.

Btw, I'm not arguing that the FRA is better or as good as FTRA or another one, it may not be. But your arguments for that being the case make no sense at all (nor do many of your other posts about anything).

Last edited by infinitebird; 07-12-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude, taco, what you're saying doesnt make sense. yes, mod for mod, the ftra is better, but the fra is a good addition to that mod. they are 2 completely seperate mods. you are saying that they are the same mod when they are not. it's like saying the cat back and the y pipe are the same thing lol. they will both add hp. not only that, like some people have said already, the ftra mod doesnt work well without cutting up your airbox. i personally didnt cut mine, it was done when i bought the car, but i would have cut it the day after i bought the car. and your whole thing about getting your air filter dirty, what the **** does it matter? you should change it out or clean it every 20-30k anyways lol.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DSRCAM
alright i own a 98 z28 camaro. last weekend i raced a black ws6 six speed and also another z28 i think it was a 2002. and well i beat both of them and well all the mods i haved done to my car isnt really much! i did the free mods which are free ram air,ported out maf, egr pipe removed. how much horses are added up with all that?

SINCE NO ONE ELSE HAS SEEMED TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, I'M GONNA SAY 10 HP.

MAYBE THEY SHOULD START A DIFFERENT THREAD FOR PEOPLE TO ARGUE OVER, they can call it "COME IN HERE AND ARGUE ABOUT DUMB ****"

Just glad to see that no one really answered the man's question.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

And 56 posts to boot!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

With the free fra, doesn't the cowl under the radiator force cold air up into the lid??? I did it to my ride and it seems to me as long as the lid is tight with the lower part of air box and filter, it is fine. I did feel a change in throttle response, however i don't know if I gained any hp. If u got $$$ to blow, get the FTRA.....if u don't, do the free FRA and call it a day
Old 07-13-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

They Are Different Mods