New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading from an LT1 Z28..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006 | 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Haven't ridden in a LT1 but the LS1's top end is just amazing in these things and add a set of LT's and it will REALLY pull in the top end.
Old 07-13-2006 | 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by burnzilla
.2-.5 tenths a second is night and day?
.2 to .5 huh? In some cases maybe. But several pro drivers have gotten stock LS1's to run 12.9. I can link you the old Ford article where they were sizing up the compitition and ran 12.9's in hot weather. Many LT1's run low 14's stock. But since I'm comparing an exceptional time for LS1's then I can do the same for LT1's and say 13.6. But 13.6 - 12.9 = .7 and that IS a night and day difference.

Plus this guy is going from A4 LT1 (a 14.0-14.4 car) to a M6 LS1 (13.0-13.4 car). That's a full second. I would definately qualify that as "night and day".

.Ive rode in many cars, but the level of fun depends on more than just speed....correct?
Not IMO. It's all about speed and power

If that were true, there would be some LS1 guys not having fun, because I beat them?
Some people have fun wether they win or lose. If I ever see any of the numerous LT1 guys I've beaten at the track I'll ask them if it was still fun

Ive rode in both. The LT1 feels like it has more torque, the LS1 is just a great revving machine.
I've driven both. I used to have a 1995 hunter Green A4 Z28 as a company car. My LS1 (when it was stock) felt every bit as strong as the LT1 did from 0-60. Beyond 60 was no contest.

A4 LT1's with 3.23's are about as fast as A4 LS1 2.73 cars, give or take a few tenths.
ROFL. Give or take a few tenths? The difference between a 2.73 and 3.23 geared car in the 1/4 mile is very minimal. The 2.73 auto LS1 is still running mid to high 13's and the 3.23 A4 LT1's are still running low to mid 14's. The difference will still likely be .2-.6 tenths with .4 being average. But nowhere is the LT1 going to be faster then the LS1 stock for stock when the LT1 and LS1 has the same transmission (drivers, weather and DA being equal of course).

Yes alot of LS1's run low 13's easy, but it doesnt take much for an LT1 either, especially a manual. And its not even close to rare.
So? It takes minimal (in some cases none) mods to get a LS1 into the 12's. Then you can go full bolt-ons in your LT1 to get into the 12's and I'll go full bolt-ons to get high 11's. Then you can go heads and cam to get high 11's and I'll go heads and cam to get low 11's. Then you can spray for a high 10 and I'll spray for a mid 10. See where this is going?

Both can be modded but I think the real reason you should be switching is for the manuel.
And better looks IMO (and for the record I think the LS1 WS6 looked nicer then then LT1 SS). And a newer car. And more power out of the gate. And more potential in the mod for mod debate (see above). And because there is more room to work in the engine bay. But most importantly because he wants to.

Ive put down a couple LS1's and IMO, the power difference varies depending on mods, the car, and the driver.
And I have put down a few LT1's, so what? We all know a bad driver can lose any given race to a slower car. Stock for stock and mod for mod I would always bet on the LS1. But if the LT1 moderately/heavily out mods the LS1 then I would bet on the LT1. That falls into the "Duh" catagory.

M6 LT1's with the proper gears and tires can match stock M6 LS1's pretty easy.
What? So you're saying a LT1 M6 is 4.10's and drag radials away from matching M6 LS1's? I'll give you .2 for the 4.10's and .3 for the tires. That makes your 13.6 M6 LT1 a 13.1 car now. But the LS1 still has 12.9 potential bone stock and with a higher trap speed. So if the race continued beyond the 1/4 mile the LS1 will keep pulling and pulling and pulling.

There is alot more to it and the LS1 is a better, more powerful motor. But ive seen to many LT1's smack them down to say they are THAH much better.
And I've seen too many LS1's lay the smacketh down on LT1's. Stock for stock and mod for mod the LS1 IS better.

You really need to get over your hate and jelousy. This is after all LS1tech and not LT1tech. You have seen me in a few threads burnzilla so if you're up for another long and drawn out LT1 vs LS1 debate then you all ready know that.....

"I'm your Huckleberry".

I love that movie!

Last edited by darrensls1; 07-13-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-13-2006 | 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wanna throw in this link. It is a write up about the design and production of the LS1. In many cases it compares the LS1 to the Gen II motors (the LT1's platform) and to the LT1 specifically. To be honest other than the fact that they are v-8's and the fact that they both use gas, there may be 1 or 2 other similarities between the two engines. Read and you will understand. EVERYTHING is different between the two.

http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls1c.html

Also, the LT1 makes more torque down low. The intake runners are longer I believe and that helps allocate torque to the bottom end, BUT the LS1 is build for mid to upper end range, and produces more. The LS1 overall engine weight is about 60lbs less, and is made to more exacting tolerances. The LS1 also has better head design that allows for more flow, fuel vaporization, and ultimately more power along with greater fuel economy.

In my experience LS1's generally average mid to high 13's and some newer 01's and 02's especially the M6's see low 13 and even the occasional 12. For the most part LT1's tend to see a low 14 or high 13. NOT A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN THE 1/4. but the 1/4 does skew things a little. The LT1 is more torquey so it see's comparable 1/8 mile times, yet over 100mph where the rpm's stay a little higher for longer periods of time, the LS1 shows its strength better.

Another difference to pay very close attention to is that you HAVE to run premium (91+) octane in the LS1's... I'm not sure if you have to in the LT1's or not...
Old 07-13-2006 | 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

to be honest, once you do major engine work on a LS1 vs. and LT1 i think the power differenes become more minimal.

Eventually after swapping heads/cam and intake on both engines i think the LS1 will lose some of its advantage. Granted I think the LS1 will still be on top because of the overall engineering of the heads and intake and the injector, valve, and spark plug placement. BUT stock for stock, the LS1 makes its difference in the head design as well as the intake and larger rocker arm ratio to some degree. Once you put aftermarket heads, intake, and valve-train on both, those advantages may become less apparent when compared...
Old 07-13-2006 | 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

I currently own a 2002 Z28 and a 1996 Z28. So im probably the only person here that has driven and LS1 and an LT1 today.

The LS1 is superior and worth the extra money. its faster and more powerfull mod for mod. Its more reliable, the interior is nicer.

Oh yeah and my LS1 doesnt leak oil like the Exxon-Valdez. (LT1 rear main seals for the suck)

and burnzilla you are a damn fool. you know you would have a ****** LS1 if you could afford it, but you cant.

99% of people like the LS1 styling better. And instead of calling me on that, make a poll about it and back your **** talking up. TopendLT1.
Old 07-14-2006 | 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

I read this type post just for fun anymore. I have a 94 LT1 Z28 that I got in May.. I love the car. Im slowly modding it, and I personally enjoy trying to "de-throne" some LS1 guys in town. HOWEVER, I think the LS1 is one of the best motors ever designed, amazing power, solid reliability, and overall performance. My brother wants an LS1 Ram Air, and I am encouraging him all the way. But I also think that my LT1 is a very strong motor that TPI guys probably wish they had. LOL. That being said, time increases technology witch always trumps the previous design. i.e. LS2's LS7's .. and hopefully in a new camaro LS9's. Wont be long and the LS1s will be the antiquated design. Just the way it is. I think if you had an LT1 guy and an LS1 guy and gave them both blank checks....things would be very very level. As someone said, once you crack into the internals, the playing field gets leveled.. I think they all are great cars , and lets hope they bring the name plates back from the dead
Old 07-14-2006 | 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

L98 hands down... lol ... whats the big deal guys, you know 99 corvettes rule all. haha ppl are so biased on here.

For the record, if your lt1 was stock and the new car is stock, it will fell totally different.

Like mentiond befor, slap some long tubes on and it will pull really hard!
Old 07-14-2006 | 02:27 AM
On The Tree

Im in the same situation. I have a 95 TA and cant wait to get in an LS1. Its just much more refined then the LT1.
But overall... I think I agree with 05 GSXR 1XXX... L98 hands down. lol
Old 07-14-2006 | 07:02 AM
Launching!

My last car was a 95 Z28 M6. I will be honest and say that it is "night and day" the LS1 is fantastic. I used to focus on 1/4 acceleration, and didnt think much about "top end" like that of the LS1. For me, its just as much fun, after the 1/4 mile, the LS1 walks, and walks and walks beyond my ole' LT1 car. With that said, the LS1 was worth money. I like the LS1 Camaro better than the LT1 as well, however, I am with everyone that the WS6 looks best.
Old 07-14-2006 | 07:12 AM
Tech Resident

in burnzilla's defense, LT1's usually sound a lot better than LS1's thanks to the bigger iron block.

other than that, the LS1 pretty much beats the LT1 in all categories
Old 07-14-2006 | 07:29 AM
Launching!

I have personally had both motors, 95 TA - '02 Z28, and I have to say that the LS1 is where it is at. With two equally modded cars first and second gear would be pretty close, but once you hit third, bye bye LT1.
Old 07-14-2006 | 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
in burnzilla's defense, LT1's usually sound a lot better than LS1's thanks to the bigger iron block.

other than that, the LS1 pretty much beats the LT1 in all categories
No argument there. A LT1 Trans Am passed me the other day while I was in my daily driver. That thing was so loud it could wake the dead, but it sounded so sweeeeeet.

Full exhaust and a big cam in a LT1 is music to my ears
Old 07-14-2006 | 02:33 PM
Banned

If you want to look fast, go manual, if you want to be fast, go auto.

My races in my LT1 A4 2.73

I ran a LS1 car with light mods (HPP3, exhaust, cai?) from a dig 0-50 we were dead even. at 55 he walked

from a 55 punch he annialated me.

0-100 it would have been ugly.

This is why I switched and got a 5.0. The last LS1 I ran lost by 1 car from 75-105 But then my dumb *** did a EFI > Carb swap and picked the wrong carb. I am picking up a better on this afternoon. SHould be back in business
Old 07-14-2006 | 02:39 PM
Banned

PS, when I sold my LT1 with 170K miles on it it didnt use a drop of oil and after being parked in the same spot on a white concrete driveway for almost a eyar the ONLY stains there were from overflowed coolant (I filled it to the brim in hot south texas weather and simply let it heat up and flow out what it didnt like). IT also pulled great and never smoked or anything at all. Sounded great.

How many LS1's in here dont use a drop of oil or smoke any and have 170K miles on em'?

PS, i was the 3rd owner and the car had been beat on so hard it greanaded the tq converter at 140K miles and SOMEHOW the guy twisted an axle off and had to have that replaced. BUT...motor was pure gold imho. I did have only 20psi hot idle oil pressure, but I heard on LT1's thats normal? IT went to 60 when I nailed it. ran GREAT.
Old 07-14-2006 | 02:41 PM
Banned

BTW, at my former dealership, we had a 95 firehawk with stock ported/polished heads, a cam, LTs, full exhaust, tune and the owner claimed 12.5@115. IT was M6. THe thing kept the tires spinning past 80mph (after hooking up it read 85 when the tech driving it chickened out and let off). Not exactly slow in my opinion.
Old 07-14-2006 | 02:47 PM
Launching!

Both are great engines. The LT1 is a strong, great built motor, but the ls1 uses the success of the lt1 as a platform and builts up to improve the design. Both great engines but night and day it is.
Old 07-14-2006 | 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

i agree with burnzilla......you LS1 boys dog the LT1 like its a 4 banger. just because somthing new comes along dont make it better in everyones eyes. the LT1 has the same principal design that sold over 50 million in the past 50 years. there is a reason the SBC is the most widely used motor in a variety of motorsports. its a good design and not to mention parts are cheap. hell even ford boys are putting em in their street rods, so it must not be too bad of a motor. but for the record, i too agree that the LS1 is a superior motor. but when it all comes down to it, L98 or LS1 we are all on the same team. bowtie power forever.

Last edited by bww3588; 07-14-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2006 | 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bww3588
i agree with burnzilla......you LS1 boys dog the LT1 like its a 4 banger. just because somthing new comes along dont make it better in everyones eyes. the LT1 has the same principal design that sold over 50 million in the past 50 years. there is a reason the SBC is the most widely used motor in a variety of motorsports. its a good design and not to mention parts are cheap. hell even ford boys are putting em in their street rods, so it must not be too bad of a motor.
Nope, Those are the misinformed newbies your talking about. The regulars know the LT1 is a stout motor. Hell I really didn't care when I was looking for a F-Body I just wanted one.
Old 07-14-2006 | 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

L98 FTW!!

Nah I like the L98 fun car to drive, I would rather have an Ls1 though which is why i'm selling my L98 and buying one asap

In my opinion nothings beats a midnight blue or black 98-02 SS in the looks department. I do like the LT1 styling of camaro though. My friend prefers the look of the LT1-style so he put an Ls1 in his 94 camaro, you could always do that but I wouldn't reccomend that.

Anyhow buy the LS1 and never look back!
Old 07-14-2006 | 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Nope, Those are the misinformed newbies your talking about. The regulars know the LT1 is a stout motor. Hell I really didn't care when I was looking for a F-Body I just wanted one.
i know its a good motor, but i also know the LS1 is superior. i get so defensive when people start talking down to the LT1 like its a honda or some ****. if it wasent for the LT1 there wouldnt be an LS1, and if it werent for TPI engines or TBI engines there wouldnt be a LT1, and if it werent for a 1955 265 there wouldnt be ****.