New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Race or Not To Race?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006 | 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I completely disagree. Dyno numbers can vary, but that's not the main point of my disagreement.

When I was making 321/331 (stock) my car ran 8.40s in the 1/8th all day long on 2.0 60fts. I have a friend that on the same dyno with some bolt-ons made 333/347, and only managed a 9.2 in the 1/8th These are both 6 speed cars BTW.

Why? Driver. I don't give two ***** what someone "says" there car should run, that's no better than bench racing. SHOW ME what it can do, THAT'S where it's at
Not everyone is out to try and run there car to its full potential. If your going to run your car once or twice a year, I don't think it matters what your time is...You would be doing it for fun. Dyno numbers is a perfect route. As long as he knows his car is making good power, he's good to go.

It's good to know that the car is running well. Obviously, the better driver is going to run the better E/t's. But who cares...You can get a general idea what a good driver can run with 3xxRwhp...Sure, it will be fun to run the car and see what you get. If he runs a 14.5 and dynos at 325Rwhp, obviously he knows the car has much more potential.

There are always people out there with the same power running better times. If he's not into racing at the track and doesn't want to beat on the car, he has a general concept of what the car runs. Getting it dynoed is also another means of bragging rights.

For instance, if someone asked him if he races...No, I haven't ran the car at the track, because I don't want to beat on it. Although, I dynoed 320Rwhp. Wow, that's pretty good says the other guy. You should be in the low 13's, maybe a high 12 with a good 60'.

Now, if he puts down 270Rwhp, we know something is wrong...Which would be another good reason to get it checked out. You can save yourself the time. Lets say he took it to the track and beat the crap out of it and it only trapped 98mph at best. (assuming he drove it very well) If he would have gotten the car dynoed, he could have saved some time and found out the problem...
Old 07-12-2006 | 10:30 PM
Teching In

There's always a chance that if you drive it hard, something will break. But if you bought the car because it's so much fun to drive, then a few passes at the track will be worth the rush
If you want to reduce the chance of something going wrong, then get comfortable with the WOT shift timing near redline, shifting hand position (practice this!) and pedal work BEFORE you get to the track. When you do get there, check out how the staging works, how well/poorly street-tire cars are launching and get a ride with someone that knows the drill (apologies if you've been down the 1/4 before). Launching at the track is a lot different than the street, so just try moderate revs and a little slip, and don't be afraid to back out of it if you start getting sideways.
If you're comfortable with the car and the track, you'll be more concentrated on your good driving
Old 07-12-2006 | 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-13-2006 | 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Taking your car to the track a few times isn't going to hurt it any, unless of course your shifting into 6th at 20 mph. Basically if your a decent driver you should be fine, like others have said... what is the point of 300+ HP if your not going to use it from time to time. I'm not saying burn out at every stop sign, but our cars are meant to be driven, as long as you treat it well and keep regular maintenance you'll be fine.
Old 07-15-2006 | 02:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by silverta16
I have a drag car, just want a fast street car, a fuel injected car. But they are so costly to fix and easier to tear up. Brandon.
I'm a little confused. If you have a drag car and bought the Camaro as a street car, then why even have this conversation. Keep the Camaro on the street, you know what it's capable of, if not, just search the forum. Hundreds have already figured it out.

Sounds like you just want some justification. It's a money losing investment anyway (at least short term), take it to the track once, see what it'll do. You'll satisfy your curiosity and get some enjoyment.

-Rick
Old 07-15-2006 | 10:34 PM
Launching!

The rear end will probably break on the first run so I would sell it and get a wore out z28. How much you want for it?