New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lid, P&P TB, stall, full exhaust, LS6 intake, LCA's, SFC's, Shocks, then 12bolt...that's the order i'd go in if i had an automagic, then of course if u wanted to go further nitrous, heads & cam package would be bitchin
Old 07-13-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

id say stall and nitrous is the best bang for the buck. im still savin up my pennies to get my stall.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HD1911
First of all you misspelled CONSISTENTLY wrong...second i happen to own a built she-matic thank you
corny. i'm sure i could go through your post history and find spelling errors, too.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

4200+ stall.....
if you're drag racing, and you're not going to put a real stall in it, you might as well swap it to a manual and put some real gears behind it.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
corny. i'm sure i could go through your post history and find spelling errors, too.
Don't be gay and cry about it...i didn't know ******* with you would make you cry...pull your panties out of yer **** sweetheart
Old 07-14-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

bwhahahaha

I love this
Old 07-14-2006, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HD1911
Ok big guy, you WILL be buying a good external tranny cooler should you go the stall converter route. On the highway there is ABSOLUTELY no difference between a performance stall and a stocker. They both lock-up. You will be turning the same rpm's and everything. Now, i have a 3600 with a high str and it takes just a tad more gas to get moving. But honestly, i got used to it the first day i drove it and now when i drive a stock auto, i hate it...absolutely hate it. When you put your foot to the floor with a high stall....HOLY ****!! launches like a bat outta hell. And as far as the rear, you have an auto which is a hell of a lot easier on rear diffs then 6 spds. I have stickey mickey drag radials and once in awhile out on the street i will get a dead hook...lemme tell you what, it feels like the ******* car is gonna pull a wheelie. Dont be worried about breaking your rear, dont let that be the reason why you dont get a stall.
wow, thanks a lot. honestly that answered like every question i had. thanks alot man.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get..........a.............converter.............n ow!

Absolute minimum stall speed of 3,000. My personal recommendation is 3500 rpm minimum. It is the single biggest bang for your buck you will find. I don't count nitrous, per say, because it is only available for a relatively short period of time and 99% of your driving it'll do nothing but sit there.

Do some searching in the automatic transmission section to learn about converters.

What you should look into buying: Vigilante or Yank converter with stall speed of 3k-4k, B&M 24k gvwr trans cooler, tranny temp gauge, Trans go shift kit, subframe connectors and Nitto NT555-R drag radials (if it's a street car). You may or may not need 'basic' tuning of the shift points or torque management for it to run correctly.

It gets expensive quickly. All of those things could easily run $1,500-$2,000 or even more if you pay somebody to install them, depnding on what particular parts you choose.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

ahhh the good ol 10 bolt. pray everyday it doesnt give up with a big stall and DR's. it doesnt like to be shocked. ahh i remember when i first busted mine. 200 feet of rubber and over 500 feet of axle and ring teeth and my pinion gear olling down next to the car and springs n **** flyin all over the place. it was an awesome sight to see
Old 07-15-2006, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Get..........a.............converter.............n ow!

Absolute minimum stall speed of 3,000. My personal recommendation is 3500 rpm minimum. It is the single biggest bang for your buck you will find. I don't count nitrous, per say, because it is only available for a relatively short period of time and 99% of your driving it'll do nothing but sit there.

Do some searching in the automatic transmission section to learn about converters.

What you should look into buying: Vigilante or Yank converter with stall speed of 3k-4k, B&M 24k gvwr trans cooler, tranny temp gauge, Trans go shift kit, subframe connectors and Nitto NT555-R drag radials (if it's a street car). You may or may not need 'basic' tuning of the shift points or torque management for it to run correctly.

It gets expensive quickly. All of those things could easily run $1,500-$2,000 or even more if you pay somebody to install them, depnding on what particular parts you choose.
yea if i got one i would get a yank, from what i understand they r the best (if not one of them). i no a good amount about converters cuz im on thise site every night and look at them most of the time. the only questions i have are about the 24k gvwr trans cooler u mentioned.

i had been meaning the ask someone, what are the difference in sizes you get? thanks
Old 07-15-2006, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RiPPinZ11
yea if i got one i would get a yank, from what i understand they r the best (if not one of them). i no a good amount about converters cuz im on thise site every night and look at them most of the time. the only questions i have are about the 24k gvwr trans cooler u mentioned.

i had been meaning the ask someone, what are the difference in sizes you get? thanks
Higher ratings, bigger size, better cooling. Even on a stock transmission it would be nice to have an auxillary cooler but once you add the high stall converter all that extra slipping generates a lot of heat. Heat kills automatic transmissions.

The coolers are normally routed in line with the fluid that goes through the raditator, after the radiator and before going back to the transmission.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Just a quick little thing, more bang for the buck is great. Just remember, there are some serious weak points in your driveline that need atleast a little work (rearend package from Texas Speed should do nicely, don't forget the carrier). Also, no matter what, you need to put that power to the ground, not your tranny. SFC's LCA's and a new torque arm with relocation kit should be lined up for the near future. Just my .02
Old 07-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Launching!

I had the same question. So a stall wont be that bad to the rear? How bout the tranny have any of u guys had to rebuild or replace?
Old 07-17-2006, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stangeater99
I had the same question. So a stall wont be that bad to the rear? How bout the tranny have any of u guys had to rebuild or replace?

<-------- Whole new transmission and new to me rear end here.

1.64 60's will do that, I guess.