New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating going over to the Dark Side

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far GMMG is looking like the way I wanna go. I heard a video of it and it sounded GREAT! Reason I dont want a cut-out is I would like the benefits 100% of the time, not just when I want to slither under my car. An electric cut-out costs as much as GMMG and 5-8whp difference of GMMG and cutout doesnt mean much to me.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duals not an option?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

No, dont really wanna go through the effort of duals. I just want a simple bolt on and to have a reliable, fun, fast car. My 5.0 feels fast as hell and it traps 98.5 mph so I am pretty sure the M6 LS1 will kick ***. I liked my 95 LT1, wanting something like it but better. I want GMMG for the sound and the lid/cai just b/c its cheap and does "a lot" for what you pay imho.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

do LT ehaders and ORY witha good mail order tune with a set of 4.10's and that car will be in the 12's
Old 08-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tainted
do LT ehaders and ORY witha good mail order tune with a set of 4.10's and that car will be in the 12's

I agree it would work, but this isnt a go-fast car for me really. It is just a refined car with good power (compared to my 5.0 with iffy A/C, bouncy speedo, etc.). If it traps 105+ I will be VERY HAPPY. I just want somethign that looks nice, has good power, is an American icon, and will get me through this gas-crunch (hence 3.42's and M6).
Old 08-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please do yourself the favor of hearing a Loudmouth equipped car in person, especially if you are keeping the stock manifolds/cats. A lot of people here give it a bad rap, but I have the system on my car (stock manifolds/cats) and it sounds great, very deep rumble and not annoyingly loud. Very easy to have conversation with passengers. That being said, if you plan on going with headers and ORY, then the system may not be the one for you, as those mods will increase the volume dramatically, but that doesn't sound like your plan.

Loudmouth is a beautifully done piece, great fit and finish, nice mandrel bends and SS pipes. It's pretty tough to beat for the price and sounds great IMHO. Would hate to see you drop more $ than needed if you are not going headers/ORY.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Tech Resident

i have a few words of advice:

honestly stanger, i'd tell you to stay away from the loudmouth. these cars are very different from a 5.0 stang. they don't sound as good. loudmouth will be raw loud with no tone, kind of like the domestic fart can. it's not awful, but it's not a pleasant sound. it's for a "loud" enthusiast.

here's a clip of my car. due to some amusing coincidences, i've always assumed my car had an slp dual/dual on it, but after much deliberation, have finally found out it is in fact a corsa catback so i need to update the movie and change the title. therefore, the title on my video is wrong. again, this is my car with stock manifolds, stock internals, just a lid and a corsa catback:

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/39399...15013e10e9.htm

tell me what you think.

i'm probably eventually gonna ditch it in favor of TD's. i can't find the heart to spend $350 on a catted y pipe when i can save that $350, sell my corsa for $400 - $450 or so and have $750-$800 to get duals out the back. corsa with LT's, at least per sound clip, doesn't sound all that amazing IMO. again, just my opinion though.

the car is pretty quiet cruising around but gets pretty mean sounding at WOT. it's almost mustang-like at around 2500-3000 rpms. again, it's not loud and you won't be drawing crazy amounts of attention, but it's borderline unnoticable at crusing at 65mph on the highway. you have to strain your ears to realize there's an exhaust note.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-10-2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stanger, before you take Choco's advice read this.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/554555-long-awaited-slp-dual-dual-soundclips.html
Old 08-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Stanger, before you take Choco's advice read this.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554555
that's basically the abridged version of what happened ^^^ heehee

but honestly, if you wanna know the whole story and lot of amusing coincidences, i can tell it if i have the time.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Man, im confused now, I thought a LID was you LS1 guys version of a CAI? What is this LID+CAI???
lid=air box cover
cai=more cold air
Old 08-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Resident

Man, im confused now, I thought a LID was you LS1 guys version of a CAI? What is this LID+CAI???
the LID is just a smoothed top of the air box. the stock lid was baffled to keep the air box quieter. aftermarket lids just smoothe out the airbox to add horsepower.

a CAI is actually the ram air kits for our cars. the fast toys ram air, or FTRA, is arguably the best cold air intake for our cars. it can get away with being marketed as "ram air" because it increases volumetric efficiency and achieves slight airbox pressurization at higher speeds. it's like a cold air kit on speed, basically. it does more than just use colder air and increase flow. it has a slight forcing effect to it.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So far GMMG is looking like the way I wanna go. I heard a video of it and it sounded GREAT! Reason I dont want a cut-out is I would like the benefits 100% of the time, not just when I want to slither under my car. An electric cut-out costs as much as GMMG and 5-8whp difference of GMMG and cutout doesnt mean much to me.
An e-cut out is around 200 bucks. Check out quicktimeperformance.com. I'm sure they can be found cheaper anyway. But I would still go the GMMG route, just had to clarify unless you meant to say something else.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

the SSRA is the best CAI kit. its lnoger and goes all the way down to gather more cool air, and has a better "ram-air" effect
Old 08-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Tainted
the SSRA is the best CAI kit. its lnoger and goes all the way down to gather more cool air, and has a better "ram-air" effect
i don't think it's ever been proven that the SSRA is better than the FTRA. the only tests i've seen are on the FTRA and it raised engine efficiency by as much as 1%, took a tenth off a quarter mile and raised the trap speed by a solid mph. however, i have heard of the SSRA breaking since it's plastic. i'd rather have the stainless steel FTRA. yes, it heat soaks when you're sitting still in traffic but who needs power when you're sitting still? as soon as you get moving, it cools off. the intake air temperatures were significantly lower, also with the FTRA.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins..._12.262000.htm

it's sold me
Old 08-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Banned

The Fast Toys Ram Air gains about 15whp. This is the same as a lid from what I have seen. I will just take the $90 lid
Old 08-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Tech Resident

The Fast Toys Ram Air gains about 15whp. This is the same as a lid from what I have seen. I will just take the $90 lid
lol dude they work in conjunction with each other. you can have the lid AND the ram air. you'd likely see 10 hp with the lid plus another 10 with the FTRA bringing it to a total of 20hp for $250 in mods.

you're thinking of the volant and K&N FIPK systems. then you don't use a lid. the lid + FTRA is the best combo.

the lid has NOTHING to do with cold air induction/ram air effect. it just smoothes out your airbox. it is not a cold air mod.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

They work together...do yourself a favor and get both (lid & ftra). There has been some talk of the ftra causing higher engine temps as it covers much of the radiator. I personally have not had a problem.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

Ah, ok. Now I see what we are going for. Took a look at some pics and I understand. yes, im not adding ORY or anything like that. Would the loudmouth be of consideration since im leaving all the other stuff alone? Any +1's for TYR's observation? I do like the price/look of it.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Tech Resident

Ah, ok. Now I see what we are going for. Took a look at some pics and I understand. yes, im not adding ORY or anything like that. Would the loudmouth be of consideration since im leaving all the other stuff alone? Any +1's for TYR's observation? I do like the price/look of it.
the loudmouth is a love or hate exhaust. i'm not a fan and i've heard it in person. it's loud but it doesn't have much of a tone - just raw noise.

make sure you hear it IN PERSON before you buy. if you go to the track it should be easy to find someone as it's a fairly common exhaust.

if you ever plan on getting longtubes, the loudmouth will sound God awful in most people's opinions, so realize if you buy a loudmouth and later get headers, you'll probably have to get rid of the loudmouth, meaning wasted $$$. even catted, the loudmouth sounds like raspy *** in most people's opinions after headers.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

What about Hooker or Magnaflow? I have heard they are ok. I really REALLY like the GMMG, but its $$$