New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't find source of smell(mildew)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have this problem.. but it never gets this bad cuz i ussally have my car in the garage... for me the water leaks down the front passenger side corner... it comes down somewhere from the top and gets the carpet wet... and kinda by where the speaker is.... im thinking maybe it runs down some how from the t-tops.. but im not sure....
Old 08-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i have heard of problems of mildew getting in the A/C vents. dont know how to clean it with out totally yankin the dash out and cleaning.

maybe remove the vents and run some type of giant flexible q-tip in there?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Teching In

If you run your A/C and shut it off and park it condensation will builf up in the evaperator causing mildew to build up in the vents. After I run my A/C and am getting ready to park it, I turn off the A/C and and put it to vent mode on high to dry out the moisture. I've done this to all my vechiles and never have had the mildew smell. Try spraying a diluted bleach with water in the air ducts. That should kill all the bacteria.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Launching!

ill give that a try, thanks

josh
Old 08-29-2006, 06:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by GATORS98TA
If you run your A/C and shut it off and park it condensation will builf up in the evaperator causing mildew to build up in the vents. After I run my A/C and am getting ready to park it, I turn off the A/C and and put it to vent mode on high to dry out the moisture. I've done this to all my vechiles and never have had the mildew smell. Try spraying a diluted bleach with water in the air ducts. That should kill all the bacteria.
Interesting.

I've never bothered to do what you do, but I've never had any sort of mildew smell in any of my cars either. Even ones that are 10+ years old.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just the sort of thread i've been looking for. my car sat for 3 months and now it has a horrible mildew odor that i'm pretty sure came from a wet carpet. i also shampooed it and was getting set to replace it (looks like a bear to do) but i will try some of these suggestions first....
Old 08-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Launching!

good luck fedge, mine is finally starting not to smell anymore, the oust on off fan and tons of lysol worked great, be patient, it's not going to come out imedetialy.

josh
Old 09-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

I had that happen to my ZR2 leak doc found a heater door leaking I never did rid it of that smell I sold it soon after cause I couldn't stand a 2 year old truck that smelled like a junkyard dog
Old 09-04-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is a product that I used before from AutoZone, that I purchased to kill odors in the A/C vents on a Dodge truck that I had the problem on. I do not remember the name of it though.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

i used frebreeze in the vents at the base of the windshield and spray the fabric also.worked great in my convertible.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh1107
good luck fedge, mine is finally starting not to smell anymore, the oust on off fan and tons of lysol worked great, be patient, it's not going to come out imedetialy.

josh
thanks, hopefully, I'll get rid of the smell sooner or later.

funny how good smells go away quickly and bad ones linger
Old 09-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sunsetta
There is a product that I used before from AutoZone, that I purchased to kill odors in the A/C vents on a Dodge truck that I had the problem on. I do not remember the name of it though.
Thanks for your wonderful addition to this thread!!!

The guys at Robbins Auto Parts in Concord, NH once recommended Turtle Wax Odor-X. After going through many other deodorizers (that weren't very successful) I tried it. It is working good for all kinds of odors, both in my vehicles and in my house. I have not had the wonderful opportunity to try it on mold/mildew, though.

Jason

Quick Reply: can't find source of smell(mildew)