Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for an ls1

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for an ls1

I just got rid of my 2003 Mach 1. Im going to miss that car, but now im looking to get a 01-02 ws6 or ss. Im new into the ls1 world so i dont know much about them. Any info on helping me make the right choice will be helpfull.

What ever i deside to get Im going to be doing a lot of work to it because I want make it faster then my mach was.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

well it will be faster then the mach 1 off the get go, but people usually go full bolt-ons, then either cam/N20/SC/turbo possiblities are endless
Old 09-20-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well look at payin 18k and up for an unmolested one with low miles. Full bolt ons and tune and you'll be faster than a mach 1. you'll pull through the entire power ban. Not just in certain areas. Look on autotrader. There's good deals up north for some reason. as far as a camaro or trans am it's up to you which one you like better. I've heard Camaros are slighty, minutely lighter. Welcome to the site.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1cleanbird
well look at payin 18k and up for an unmolested one with low miles. Full bolt ons and tune and you'll be faster than a mach 1. you'll pull through the entire power ban. Not just in certain areas. Look on autotrader. There's good deals up north for some reason. as far as a camaro or trans am it's up to you which one you like better. I've heard Camaros are slighty, minutely lighter. Welcome to the site.

Dude, no way? I am searching for a 99-02 TA and would pay nowhere near that (I will take up to 70K miles) Edmunds TMV DEALER RETAIL! for that car (01 with 70K, M6) is only 13,600.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Teching In

I dont know if it will be that easy getting it faster then my mach. I ran a 12.03 @ 111mph so it will take some work to get it there.

As far as the ws6 and ss go is there any difference between the two.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:22 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroitpower
I dont know if it will be that easy getting it faster then my mach. I ran a 12.03 @ 111mph so it will take some work to get it there.

As far as the ws6 and ss go is there any difference between the two.
A healthy cam/tune and some LT's and DR's should easily match or beat that if you can drive the car.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

As far as buying a car, you can get a decent unmolested one for round 14-15k Drop the other $$ into the engine doesnt take much for the LS1 to get fast. SS vs WS6, the SS was a package that they sent the camaros to SLP to get more power and upgraded handling, the WS6 came as a factory package from pontiac that was upgraded handling and suspension also, I believe the SS has more power than the WS6, but from what i've heard the WS6 has better handling. If you want the best of the best (and sexiest!) go for a Firehawk. It went through the same upgrades as the SS only it was the Trans Ams version. Best advice I can give you....do research yourself. In the end it will come down to which you think is the best looking.

To other users on the thread:
If ANYTHING i've said above is wrong feel free to correct me!
Old 09-21-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by baldwintpenguin
As far as buying a car, you can get a decent unmolested one for round 14-15k Drop the other $$ into the engine doesnt take much for the LS1 to get fast. SS vs WS6, the SS was a package that they sent the camaros to SLP to get more power and upgraded handling, the WS6 came as a factory package from pontiac that was upgraded handling and suspension also, I believe the SS has more power than the WS6, but from what i've heard the WS6 has better handling. If you want the best of the best (and sexiest!) go for a Firehawk. It went through the same upgrades as the SS only it was the Trans Ams version. Best advice I can give you....do research yourself. In the end it will come down to which you think is the best looking.

To other users on the thread:
If ANYTHING i've said above is wrong feel free to correct me!
Just read all the stickies. The SS and WS6 are primarily appearance packages. None of them are any faster than the others. With those two you did get 17" wheels and a slightly bigger sway bar, thats just about it. remember an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1
Old 09-21-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

First off everyone... in the 1/4 they are just about equal. It's a drivers race. Mach 1s are badass cars.

12.0s are very quick... but it won't be too hard to beat. You can hit 11's in these cars relatively easy. You can choose your own method to get there. With a 12 second Mach. I am sure you know a thing or two about cars to have an idea of where to start.

Long Tubes open these cars up a lot. Which you probably have already read. A Full exhaust and tires will pretty much yield you mid high 12s if driven correctly. To run with your old Mach... it's going to need a little extra.

Better tires, suspension, rear, etc... Or just throw a Cam in there and run 12.0s+ @ 120+. haha
Old 09-22-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy a TA.