New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

traction control question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car came from the factory without the switch as well. Meaning it doesn't have traction control.

If I brake too hard the "low trac" light still comes on for the ABS, but thats about it.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Yeah as the other posters have stated, if you dont have the switch I'm pretty sure you dont have traction control. But I have a camaro with ASR, my friend has a TA with TCS and he likes it. But I cannot stand it with a cam and stock gears. It will kill my motor off the line since I have to rev to 2k to take off it will spin almost every time. I couldnt live with ASR on all the time, I cant imagine GM forcing people to have it and not be able to turn it off.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered my Formula in Jan `98 and specifically ordered it without TCS.
$495 Common Sense Inhibitor.
As stated before No Switch No TCS.
And I have 2 cables off the TB one is from the gas pedal the other for Cruise Control.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1W66
Ordered my Formula in Jan `98 and specifically ordered it without TCS.
$495 Common Sense Inhibitor.
As stated before No Switch No TCS.
And I have 2 cables off the TB one is from the gas pedal the other for Cruise Control.
Exactly. Thats what mine has as well, one throttle cable one cruise cable.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Is there a difference between ASR and TCS or just same thing different name?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SaultysHuggerSS
Hey rampage YOu dont have traction control OK. if you are doing a burnout dont hold the brake so hard and you wont lose rpms y would your second gear suck. And y would you warm up street tires ?
I don't smash the brake pedal! I hold it for a few seconds and then ease out into 3rd.
I have to warm em up. Poor track conditions up at LACR. I'm do'n it more to clean em off. Theres too much dust up there.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

if you spin the tire and the pedal kicks and low trac light comes on,you have tcs, if it spins and low trac light comes on, but theres no accel pedel kick, you don't have it..

Although I thought all the ws6's came with tcs, I guess thats not the case.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jrob56
No. ASR is Anti Skid something and is just GM's name for this particular traction control device.
------------------------------

Dude! Please take a chill pill, no one has had a go at you or even mocked you. They are mearly correcting what you've said. I mean look at it from a numbers point of view. How many people are saying you don't have TCS and how many are agreeing with you?

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
First off,....don't ****'n mock me! And I say that cuz your asking me if ive done burnouts and what not after ive already said this...."When i'm warm'n up,..my second gear sucks. My rpms just drop. Thats why i only hold it there for a second before I hit 3rd."
This makes no sense at all, according to your sig you have an A4 right? So to do a burn out you hold down the brake pedal and mash the gas. If you hold the brakes on too hard you'll find it difficult to spin the wheels. And each gear higher you go the more power would be required, higher gears requier more effort.

Also how are you shifting into 3rd, and auto will shift up at the red line or if you lift off. If you are lifting off then there probably isn't enough power to do a burnout.

Where do you have the shifter when you try and do a burnout?

And this isn't a dig, but I think it may be driver related as to why you are having issues with burnouts. I mean if you did have TCS it would affect all gears not just 2nd. You say 3rd is fine, and I pressume you must be using 1st? Or maybe you aren't. 2000+ model years allowed a trick with the tranny, if you select 2nd, it will start in 2nd and not 1st. This is to help driving in snowy conditions. But it does mean you won't have as much effective power when trying to do a burnout. In earlier cars selecting 2nd would mean it would still start in 1st and only shift as high as 2nd. You really want to have the shifter in D (3rd).

Secondly,.... I've never cared about the TCS. Never had an issue with it at all at the track or while im daily driving. In fact,...I wasn't even the one who originally noticed that their wasn't a switch,.....my friend did.
No one is doubting that, but you have been posting that you DO have it.

Thirdly,....If im mistaken or if i've made an incorrect statement,.....then correct me,.but DON'T disrespect me!! I didn't insult you. We're on here to learn from one another and share thoughts,........NOT to get mocked! Don't be ****'n stupid!
As an impartial by-stander the only mocking and name calling appears to be coming from you aimed at everyone in this thread. Serisouly chill out, people are only trying to help you.

I get a low trac light every now and then when I brake too hard and suddenly.
This is due to the ABS system. As technically it's correct, there is low traction meaning the wheels could slide. You should be able to feel thru the pedal and hear a pulsing sound and braking affect will deminish. In the wet it's very easy to trigger. Although I've seen it in the dry for no reason at all,but I personally have a gripe with the GM setting for the ABS.

You can have ABS without traction control, as others have said have a look under the bonnet and see how many wires are attached to the TB.

When i'm warm'n up,..my second gear sucks. My rpms just drop. Thats why i only hold it there for a second before I hit 3rd.
Again how do you hit 3rd with an auto. Not too mention the fact that 2nd would take you to 80mph wheel speed if you still have the stock 3.23 gears. I doubt you really are doing a burn out at this speed.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Dude! Please take a chill pill, no one has had a go at you or even mocked you. They are mearly correcting what you've said. I mean look at it from a numbers point of view. How many people are saying you don't have TCS and how many are agreeing with you?

As an impartial by-stander the only mocking and name calling appears to be coming from you aimed at everyone in this thread. Serisouly chill out, people are only trying to help you.

brother.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
No. ASR is Anti Skid something and is just GM's name for this particular traction control device.
Im pretty sure its 'anti slip regulation'.

You can have ABS without traction control, as others have said have a look under the bonnet and see how many wires are attached to the TB.
Your thinking about cruise control.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrob56
Automatic Slip Reduction and Traction Control are the same thing.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:19 PM
SCRWS6

whoa ............SO WHATS the difference between the two cables, both my cars are automatic, ones a formula, it has two cables the others a WS6 it only has one, both have cruise control
Old 09-28-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

My appologies!

To be honest,..after I got the car and my friend noticed that there wasn't a switch for the TCS(He has a switch in his 00 WS.6) I took it to the dealer and they informed me that I did have traction controle and that I just didn't have the option to turn it off and on. I'm begining to think that I might have been misinformed.

I roll brake in the burn out box. I start in 1st and tap the throtle moving the car forward slightly and then I hit the brake as i punch the throttle for the burn. I hold untill i get my RPMs up and then slide into 2nd where I hold for a moment(At this moment Im drop'n in RPMs slightly)and then slide into 3rd as im releasing the brake slowly. I only smash the Brake in 1st as I punch the Throttle. I ease off the Brake as im go'n into second and start fully releasing it a split second after 3rd. Makes for a good burn in an A4.

My Throttle never kicks back at me. EVER! My "low trac" light comes on only when i'm try'n to brake on a dime. Usually when someone cuts me of in traffic basically.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

y dont you just roll into the box put it in first light em up real quick let off the brake and roll to the tree so your in first ready to go how would puting it in third give you anymore power it wouldnt shift. if your loseing rpms in 2nd then it wouldnt shift into 3rd. i dont know but i smell fish !
Old 09-29-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

y dont you just roll into the box put it in first light em up real quick let off the brake and roll to the tree so your in first ready to go how would puting it in third give you anymore power it wouldnt shift. if your loseing rpms in 2nd then it wouldnt shift into 3rd. i dont know but i smell fish !
What the hell r u talk'n about?!
1.) "...how would puting it in third give you anymore power it wouldnt shift." I never said that it wouldn't shift!
2.)"....if your loseing rpms in 2nd then it wouldnt shift into 3rd." Who the hell told you that?

Do you have a 4L60E or a T56?
Old 09-29-2006, 03:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Im pretty sure its 'anti slip regulation'.
Ta, I never can remember what it's called. It's in the manual though

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Your thinking about cruise control.
All I can say is DOH!
Old 09-29-2006, 03:44 AM
TECH Addict

To be honest,..after I got the car and my friend noticed that there wasn't a switch for the TCS(He has a switch in his 00 WS.6) I took it to the dealer and they informed me that I did have traction controle and that I just didn't have the option to turn it off and on. I'm begining to think that I might have been misinformed.
Yes I think you where miss-informed.

I roll brake in the burn out box. I start in 1st and tap the throtle moving the car forward slightly and then I hit the brake as i punch the throttle for the burn. I hold untill i get my RPMs up and then slide into 2nd where I hold for a moment(At this moment Im drop'n in RPMs slightly)and then slide into 3rd as im releasing the brake slowly. I only smash the Brake in 1st as I punch the Throttle. I ease off the Brake as im go'n into second and start fully releasing it a split second after 3rd. Makes for a good burn in an A4.
I will not claim to be an expert, but from my own experience, common sense and base understanding of physics, this seems a strange way to do a burn out.

See my sig, thats my car with me driving. I have a 2.73 geared auto, so in many ways it should be harder to do a burn out due to gearing.

What you want to do is put the shifter in D (3rd). This is the only position should ever really need for racing. Having it in OD/4th is damaging and has slower reactions on kick down.

Bring the car to a stop, firmly hold the foot brake with your left foot and slam the gas to WOT in a smooth and rapid movement. The car will jump forward a bit but the rear wheels should spin pretty easily. If you are too timid on either pedal the car will try and take off but the revs will feel as though they are droping. You can then pretty much hold the car in one place and play with the throttle and brake pedal. A bit like balancing a ball. Too much brake and you'll loose rpms, too little and the car will move off.

As you can see from my sig, the front wheels are not moving, but the rears are probably approaching 40-50mph. If the tranny wants to shift, let it and see what happens, if its quick enough the burnout will continue, if its not then the rpms may drop. Its all down to you controlling it.

Be warned a proper burn out, is bad for your tyres and your rear brakes. Plus is you start to get any axle tramp you may also break the rear end.

DR's are more grippy, and require more effort, but the chance of breaking something also increaes due to the increased stresses.

What the hell r u talk'n about?!
1.) "...how would puting it in third give you anymore power it wouldnt shift." I never said that it wouldn't shift!
2.)"....if your loseing rpms in 2nd then it wouldnt shift into 3rd." Who the hell told you that?

Do you have a 4L60E or a T56?
I am totally bemused by these comments. A tranny will only up shift for two reasons.

1. It's reached the pre0-defined shift point
2. You have let off the throttle

A 3rd example does exist, but this would just be a different pre-defined shift point under partial throttle. But this really shouldn't occur while racing or doing a burnout.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

LOL,...The thread is get'n old for me but I atleast appreciate the way your speaking to me 300bhp/ton. So thank you.

300bhp/ton, your talking about power breaking ...in general.

As far as for me,.. The way I burn is just my personal preference. I know the way you do yours. Its still power breaking,...mine just starts with a slight tap of the throttle instead. I personally just got used to do'n it this way after my 68 Firebird. It may be a tad more complicated but I like it better. Again,.... Personal preference

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I am totally bemused by these comments. A tranny will only up shift for two reasons.

1. It's reached the pre0-defined shift point
2. You have let off the throttle

A 3rd example does exist, but this would just be a different pre-defined shift point under partial throttle. But this really shouldn't occur while racing or doing a burnout.
"1. It's reached the pre0-defined shift point" / "A 3rd example does exist, but this would just be a different pre-defined shift point under partial throttle. But this really shouldn't occur while racing or doing a burnout."
- I altered my shift points(programer)
- I manually shift my A4 so I can shift at random into any gear as long as its above 2,300 rpms-6,150rpms from 1st to 2nd and 2,500rpms-6,150rpms 2nd to 3rd with a slight fracture of a second lag into 4/OD.

"2. You have let off the throttle"
- I power shift! I never let off the throttle for any shift while im punch'n through gears.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Rampage knows alot i think he should be a sponsor.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Rampage knows alot i think he should be a sponsor.
Was that sarcasim?!