Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

traction control question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction control question

I have an '01 WS6 and had a question about traction control. I've seen some WS6's with a traction control switch, but mine doesn't have one. It is safe to assume traction control is on all the time? If so, is there a way I can turn it off? thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

i wasn't sure because there is an outline of "tcs off" light on the instrument cluster and its never lit up
Old 09-26-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of us just simply don't have a switch to turn it off. I'm also one of those people. Yes,...its always on. If the light pops up,...it should only pop up for a moment and then go away.

If you want the ability to turn it off,..SLP sells a TCSModule for the LS1. F.Y.I. Its only a good idea to turn it off if your racing anmd not good if you leave it off for daily driving.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

i think that would mean you dont have it. check your RPO codes
Old 09-26-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

i have a traction control switch on my 00 ws6, came from dealer like that.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
i think that would mean you dont have it. check your RPO codes
NO,.it doesn't. Some of us just weren't given the switch as an option. I have Traction Controle.......I just don't have the ability to turn it off also. Thats why SLP sells a module to give some of us the abiltiy to turn it off,..and on.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Some of us just weren't given the switch as an option.
thats stupid
by the way i didnt ignore your original post, my computer somehow managed to avoid displaying it.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Tech Resident

Are you absolutly sure about that? Does the pedel actualy "kick back"? Or is it just a "low trac" light on the dash.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
thats stupid
by the way i didnt ignore your original post, my computer somehow managed to avoid displaying it.
I agree. My friend was the first to notice that there wasn't a switch last year when I picked my WS.6 up.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Ya that slp module is so that your traction control is always off when you first start your car not always on. not a switch to turn it off. do you have just a single throotle cable going to the trottle body or does your cable go to a wheel on a tcs with 2 more cables hooked to it cas if not you dont have traction control.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

What good is an ls1 if you can't turn traction control off? I would guess you just don't have it. What makes you think you do?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

3700 rpm... dump the clutch... mash the gas... you will know if its on or not.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slowscott
What good is an ls1 if you can't turn traction control off? I would guess you just don't have it. What makes you think you do?
if you read my post, your question would be answered: "there is an outline of "tcs off" light on the instrument cluster and its never lit up"

thanks again for the replies
Old 09-27-2006, 04:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The dash and associated lights are the same for each car regardless of options. Seriously GM isn't going to change the whole dash setup just for non traction control models.

It doesn't light up for the same reason there is no switch - you don't have traction control. If it doesn't exist it can't be switched off.

To be honest it's pretty easy to tell driving the car, just pull out of a turning while accelarating hard. If it lights the tyres up and doesn't kick back thru the pedal you have confirmation that TCS is not part of your car.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
NO,.it doesn't. Some of us just weren't given the switch as an option. I have Traction Controle.......I just don't have the ability to turn it off also. Thats why SLP sells a module to give some of us the abiltiy to turn it off,..and on.
If you don't have the switch you don't have TCS.

The SLP modula is designed to set the default mode to OFF as cars equiped with TCS always reset to ON each time you start the engine.

And on dry roads it's perfectly safe to drive with TCS off, providing you can drive.

If you have TCS it will kick in, from a hard launch, pulling out of a turning, kick down 2nd to 1st, WOT up change 1st to 2nd and many other occasions.

It is really evident when it kicks in, as the throttle pedal will kick back at you, you'll hear a chattering sound of the system working, rpms will drop or cease increasing as much, accelaration will reduce and a brigth yellow 'Low Trac' warning will be displayed on the dash. It will not prevent wheel spin, but it will try and limit it.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

I get a low trac light every now and then when I brake too hard and suddenly.

When i'm warm'n up,..my second gear sucks. My rpms just drop. Thats why i only hold it there for a second before I hit 3rd.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Like stated, you do NOT have traction control. I ordered my 02 TA straight from the factory, with NO TCS. I have the outline also.....no switch, no light. Have you EVER done a burnout? doughnut? spun the tires in the rain? Then you do NOT have traction control, it is not always on. The low trac light only comes on when your ABS kicks in, like in wet weather or when braking med/hard over a very bumpy road. Not to repeat the other posts, but the SLP module is like the TCS in reverse. That makes it ALWAYS off till you turn it on. If you had TCS, it would always be on till you turn it off.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Ya You dont have traction control. But you could just look under the hood.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
Like stated, you do NOT have traction control. I ordered my 02 TA straight from the factory, with NO TCS. I have the outline also.....no switch, no light. Have you EVER done a burnout? doughnut? spun the tires in the rain? Then you do NOT have traction control, it is not always on. The low trac light only comes on when your ABS kicks in, like in wet weather or when braking med/hard over a very bumpy road. Not to repeat the other posts, but the SLP module is like the TCS in reverse. That makes it ALWAYS off till you turn it on. If you had TCS, it would always be on till you turn it off.
First off,....don't ****'n mock me! And I say that cuz your asking me if ive done burnouts and what not after ive already said this...."When i'm warm'n up,..my second gear sucks. My rpms just drop. Thats why i only hold it there for a second before I hit 3rd."

Secondly,.... I've never cared about the TCS. Never had an issue with it at all at the track or while im daily driving. In fact,...I wasn't even the one who originally noticed that their wasn't a switch,.....my friend did.

Thirdly,....If im mistaken or if i've made an incorrect statement,.....then correct me,.but DON'T disrespect me!! I didn't insult you. We're on here to learn from one another and share thoughts,........NOT to get mocked! Don't be ****'n stupid!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Hey rampage YOu dont have traction control OK. if you are doing a burnout dont hold the brake so hard and you wont lose rpms y would your second gear suck. And y would you warm up street tires ?