New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gto ls1 and F bod ls1...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's 290 at the rear wheels. The 350hp rating is at the flywheel. Seems about right to me.
Considering you figure aprox 18-20% for any driveline loss (esp. rwd, independant) that is almost (350x.82=287)..

I would say its about correct.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
The 305HP rating for the F-body is a joke...
How do you figure? Maybe they were rating RWHP.....most fbodies i would bet are going to dyno in that range. They aren't 390hp factory monsters. nor are they 350rwhp factory monsters.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
How do you figure? Maybe they were rating RWHP.....most fbodies i would bet are going to dyno in that range. They aren't 390hp factory monsters. nor are they 350rwhp factory monsters.
They ARE 350hp factory monsters.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

No manufacturer has ever rated their cars HP at the wheels. The F-bodys were listed at 305HP to keep from treading on the Corvette's hallowed ground of 350HP. It was all marketing and pretty much a joke when you consider that both the F and Y bodys dyno the same (with the F-body often dynoing higher due to less drivetrain loss).
Old 10-16-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
No manufacturer has ever rated their cars HP at the wheels. The F-bodys were listed at 305HP to keep from treading on the Corvette's hallowed ground of 350HP. It was all marketing and pretty much a joke when you consider that both the F and Y bodys dyno the same (with the F-body often dynoing higher due to less drivetrain loss).
Yes i realize for marketing this is why the ratings were done, and i realize rating cars to the fly always yields higher numbers ala more sales, but sometimes cars are underrated for reasons, this one being marketing. Take the 03-04 cobras 390 rating for example, They will put that and more to the wheels. So you can't say they don't rate cars with RWHP, that's basically what they did with the Fbody . My point is, show me a ls1 that dyno's 350 off the showroom floor....they are rated at 305, and that's what they dyno ( to the wheels ) so how is it a joke.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Yes i realize for marketing this is why the ratings were done, and i realize rating cars to the fly always yields higher numbers ala more sales, but sometimes cars are underrated for reasons, this one being marketing. Take the 03-04 cobras 390 rating for example, They will put that and more to the wheels. So you can't say they don't rate cars with RWHP, that's basically what they did with the Fbody . My point is, show me a ls1 that dyno's 350 off the showroom floor....they are rated at 305, and that's what they dyno ( to the wheels ) so how is it a joke.
baller all your lights are on your sig now
Old 10-16-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSJon
baller all your lights are on your sig now
Thanks to photoshop and the dude that has that red 5.0 stang
Old 11-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Teching In

When auto manufacturers advertise how much Horse Power their car makes, they are referring to the power at the CRANK. Not at the wheels.

There are some cars who are under-rated from the factory for advertsiing, insurance, etc.

They dont rate cars with RWHP, their is a current standard in the market(POWER at the Crank). GM does not measure any of their other cars' HP at the crank.

Underrated cars come from all manufacturers but they are few and far between.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

exactly, ford could do that cause the cobra was there bigdaddy of cars then, but when it comes to GM everything revolves around the vette, if they advertised a SS or TA to be the same HP rating of the vette they wouldnt be able to sell the vette with its "CORVETTE" price tag.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a co-workers 04 gto m6 last week and it felt really smooth. My SS feels faster but the GTO is very comfortable. We're suppose to race soon. His GTO just has intake.