Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HyperTech Power Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
i recently purchased the pp3 i was very pleased hypertechs website has dyno charts showing 26hp and54ftlbs of tourqe on a stock engine im sure it doesnt benefit a 10 second car but is a good investment for a daily driver.im not against mail order tunes but everytime you modify you will be sending it back

98 ta a4
3.73s
pp3
slp lid
k&N
flowmaster catback
hey, I have a tornado for sale. it gives you 20 whp and 30 wtq, it only cost 50 brand new, i'll sell it to you for 40.

you think the manufacture of your handleheld would post honest results? They want to sell an item, do you ever wonder why they say your results may vary?

"NOTE: All dynamometer tests are performed under controlled conditions. Results may vary, depending on the specific vehicle, altitude, temperature, fuel used, and various other conditions that affect vehicle performance. Power gains shown are specific to the vehicle tested and representative of the average gains verified. All gains shown (except GM Duramax, Ford Power Stroke, and Dodge Cummins diesel) are based on 87 or 93 octane fuel, (depending on application) and a stock thermostat."

http://www.hypertech.com/ta_testimonial.html

then this guy...thinking his lt1 was faster, but it get better, he puts on a air filter, flowmaster and tunes the car suddenly he is faster than a cobra.

Last edited by BrandonDrecksage; 10-21-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i recently purchased the pp3 i was very pleased hypertechs website has dyno charts showing 26hp and54ftlbs of tourqe on a stock engine im sure it doesnt benefit a 10 second car but is a good investment for a daily driver.im not against mail order tunes but everytime you modify you will be sending it back

98 ta a4
3.73s
pp3
slp lid
k&N
flowmaster catback
yea thats what hypertech SHOWED. in REAL LIFE lots of people LOST power.

to the original psoter:

A mail order tune is this. a pcm is sent to you thats been tuned by someone who knows what theyre doing. the pcm can be adjusted for fuel, mods, heads/cams/tires/gears you name it, it can be done.. one you receive the tuned pcm, you send them your stock computer back as an exchange. plus any future upgrades you need done to the pcm is only 50 bucks. now, the tune costs roughly 250 bucks. the hypertech pwoer **** and other tuners cost anywhere from 300-450 bucks. so tis not only cHEAPER but far far more effective
Old 10-21-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard that the hypertech was crap.

I only bought my DiabloSport to erase engine codes and check simple stuff on the quick. I never noticed a damn "umph" gain though.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so can anyone recommend a good 98 ls1 tuner (not mail order tune) then. im getting my ls6 intake and lts/x this winter and want to put it all on at once and tune while still being able to !egr and !air.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cld069
so can anyone recommend a good 98 ls1 tuner (not mail order tune) then. im getting my ls6 intake and lts/x this winter and want to put it all on at once and tune while still being able to !egr and !air.
the Crane one seems to be the best

P.S.

FINALLY!!! 1000 POSTS MUWAHAHAH
Old 10-21-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tainted
the Crane one seems to be the best
I just looked at the crane power tuners and they are all 99+

I did find this http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...bac91ce731034a

but on the diablo website it says 99+ so i dont know if the site i found is just grouping all ls1s together or if they really have a 98 now. If someone could post a link where to get one that would be awesome.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

BRING IT TO A SPONSER, have them dyno tune it. you'll see a hell of a lot mroe than any handheld tuner, plus you know it'll be safe. Some places will charge less than what a handheld tuner costs you. Or you could research, learn hwo to tune yourself and buy some software, like ls1 edit, or efi live..ect.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

98 ta a4
3.73s
pp3
slp lid
k&N
flowmaster catback
Website? Did you actually dyno it and find out the results or just pull
the info from their website.

Anyone who likes mail order tunes is immediately suspect in my book.
Mail order tunes = No thanks.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Just sold mine. The only good thing about it is that you can set the temp the fans come on at, and you could get that tuned in anyway or buy the switch from SLP. I swear it is much faster and makes way ebtter torque down low now with stock tuning.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:07 AM
12 Second Club

*sigh* I just bought one to play with.

Its a superchips, so I'm not sure if its better or worse than the hypertec programer.

I watched a guy program his mustang with a diablo tuner.. he had two files that he could read from.... 1st was a race fuel (c12) tune for track only... the other was pump gas 91 octane for daily drivin. I thought the two tunes were a great idea instead of just stock and the questionable hypertec tune.

Lots recomend LS1edit.. but how user friendly is it?
And what are we talking for price to get it up and running? (excluding the price of a laptop)
Another question... when you're just starting with LS1edit... how do you determin which variables to play with and how much to adjust them...?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys who think the hpp3 works?? im telling you it dosent work at all! Ive got real time track results with it and with out it, the same night, youd be better off to burn the damn thing. One night last winter i turned a better mph with out it went 82mph with it and went 83mph with out it. IT DOSENT HELP!! I will say the best option for the 98 cars is the Vinci Hand held, call Vinci performance and he will send you one for a 98 . i picked up .1 tenth in the 1/8th with the vinci. but i sold it and went with HP tuners and picked another 1.5 tenths so by far the HP will yeild the best gains, but if you must go with a hand held then go with the Vinci.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,220 Posts

I paid about $50 for an HPP3 for my '98. As the car is/was stock, I didn't see the point in paying for a custom tune when all I wanted was to change shift points and fan settings.

Quick Reply: HyperTech Power Programmer