New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400RWHP Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nope, cant do it. Need a new car. I suggest a c6.

ok ok, you can get there cam only or cam/heads or n2o only or n2o and cam or s/c or turbo all on your stock bottom end.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited
_ If you have no experience with nitrous, or don't know someone who does....I wouldn't without a doubt in my mind recommend it, very very easy to mess up with it. As they say "you spray, you pay"

_ Bolt ons and Cam/tune route is a much safer way imo. Except if you are looking for daily drivability, you can kiss your gas mileage goodbye!!!

_ However, if you are looking for a 400hp daily driver....you might want to look into perhaps getting a turbo, but you will need fuel upgrades and a tune. Alot of people using turbos seem to retain their stock gas mileage and stock drivibility when they >>>>>>DON'T HIT THE GAS<<<<<<< from my experience.

hope this helps!!
good way to put it ...i glad somebody else feels the same as i do about tell somebody new to use nitrous
Old 11-07-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well im sure the guy is not new to racing or else he wouldnt have bought a LS1 and joined this site...

and you say " dont recomend nitrous to sombody new at it."
Well if u think about it, were all new to nitrous at one point or another...

I clearly pointed out to him the options..

he asked for cheapest, so i said...nitrous..

i also stated bolt ons and cam...,but that's around $3,000+ compared to $700 with nitrous..

but to each his own..
Old 11-07-2006, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 05 GSXR 1XXX
Well im sure the guy is not new to racing or else he wouldnt have bought a LS1 and joined this site...

i also stated bolt ons and cam...,but that's around $3,000+ compared to $700 with nitrous..

but to each his own..

Very true, but i'd have to say 9 out of every 10 gear heads that starting using nitrous had either a mentor, or knew someone that knew someone that uses/used it.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol @ this thread

get a brand new nitrous kit for 350.00 from dynotune

bam you are at 400rwhp with a 75-100 shot

dont forget new plugs
Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

read this https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/520845-mod-guide-induction-exhaust-please-read-before-posting.html it will help you out alot if your new to this....

im not going to say 400 hp from boltons is not possible but it is very VERY unlikely.... when u look at parts dont add up the maximum gains from that product...

start off with the basics then go from there...
Old 11-07-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by presto_z
read this https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520845 it will help you out alot if your new to this....

im not going to say 400 hp from boltons is not possible but it is very VERY unlikely.... when u look at parts dont add up the maximum gains from that product...

start off with the basics then go from there...
I have yet to hear of a single person making 400RWHP(not fwhp) with bolt ons alone.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MillaTK
I have yet to hear of a single person making 400RWHP(not fwhp) with bolt ons alone.

neither have i.. but there are some freakishly strong cars stock out there... my buddies hit 338 to the rear wheels bone stock and not to mention 150k on the clock.... thats why i said it may not be impossible but very VERY unlikely
Old 11-07-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Unlimited
_ If you have no experience with nitrous, or don't know someone who does....I wouldn't without a doubt in my mind recommend it, very very easy to mess up with it. As they say "you spray, you pay"

_ Bolt ons and Cam/tune route is a much safer way imo. Except if you are looking for daily drivability, you can kiss your gas mileage goodbye!!!

_ However, if you are looking for a 400hp daily driver....you might want to look into perhaps getting a turbo, but you will need fuel upgrades and a tune. Alot of people using turbos seem to retain their stock gas mileage and stock drivibility when they >>>>>>DON'T HIT THE GAS<<<<<<< from my experience.

hope this helps!!
This is not true, so please don't lead this guy astray. I have an estimated 400 rwhp and i still get anywhere from 20-25mpg on the highway. That's better than my 1.5L 'yota. A turbo can run VERY pricey, just read the stickies in the FI section. Besides you need more than fuel upgrades and a tune, put a decent amount of boost on an unforged engine and you can kiss it bye bye.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

but to each his own..
Also not true, my LS1 was the first fast car and when i joined this site i had never raced. Just loved the camaro's and wanted a Z originally. Nothing wrong with that. Then i started to want more, and here i am today. Not trying to be an ***. All of your other points are very good though. But if i was him and new to fast cars and racing (which we ALL were at one point.) Then that is when i would NOT reccommend nitrous. Get use to the speed and power first of stock. If you've had faster cars, spray away.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Wow. thanx alot for the info guys. i really appriciate it. soo many good suggestions.
I dont have a motor yet. But i am planning on doin an ls1 swap in a BMW e30.
As for NOS, i have never had experience and i will not be using it on this swap i do since i want the motor last me for very long time. (PS. how long can these motor last if maintain tip top?) As u can see i am new to this.
What ive learn so far to make that much hp is,
A good cam. Any prefer manuf.?,
LS6 Intake,
Headers,
Lid will not be part of this since its going to be hybrid. Im planning on a good K&N filter.
For ECU tuneing since its an OBD II will i need a special program/hardware to tune it?If So what manufacture?
thanks again for the help.

*edit* will stock clutch hold up @ that hp?

Last edited by LS1E30; 11-07-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
No, or at least mine didnt
Also when your getting 25 mpg your not making 400 hp either. The number that gets thrown around here is a peak number. It isnt what you get at the wheels when you step on the gas. I could get either 125 miles per tank or 300 depending on how I drove.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

LS1E30, LS1's will last far past the 100K mark if maintained and properly cared for.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Teching In

400RWHP on what kinda dyno??? dyno jet or mustang?? on dyno jet headers and cam will get u there
Old 11-07-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just go STS And get it over with, then you can get exhaust :-D
Old 11-07-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
Also not true, my LS1 was the first fast car and when i joined this site i had never raced. Just loved the camaro's and wanted a Z originally. Nothing wrong with that. Then i started to want more, and here i am today. Not trying to be an ***. All of your other points are very good though. But if i was him and new to fast cars and racing (which we ALL were at one point.) Then that is when i would NOT reccommend nitrous. Get use to the speed and power first of stock. If you've had faster cars, spray away.
Dont take this personal or whatever... but either way hes going to make 400hp... so it doesnt matter if he uses nitrous or not.

he said he wants 400 hp the cheapest way.. obviouly hes got to get used to the power, im sure and hope he will test out his power levels on different settings..etc...

but since he said hes not running nitrous then i guess it really doesnt matter anymore lol.

anyways good luck with your build in the e30, i dont know what kind of project your getting into, just beaware of the time consumption aswell money!

keep us update 2!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Dont take this personal or whatever... but either way hes going to make 400hp... so it doesnt matter if he uses nitrous or not.

he said he wants 400 hp the cheapest way.. obviouly hes got to get used to the power, im sure and hope he will test out his power levels on different settings..etc...

but since he said hes not running nitrous then i guess it really doesnt matter anymore lol.

anyways good luck with your build in the e30, i dont know what kind of project your getting into, just beaware of the time consumption aswell money!

keep us update 2!
Very good point about making 400rwhp anyways, i've never used nitrous but i was always under the impression 100hp's + all of a sudden would be a different feeling than a N/A engine building up to it. Guess i thought there would be a big jolt that would be harder to control, kinda like getting rear ended.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1E30
Wow. thanx alot for the info guys. i really appriciate it. soo many good suggestions.
I dont have a motor yet. But i am planning on doin an ls1 swap in a BMW e30.
As for NOS, i have never had experience and i will not be using it on this swap i do since i want the motor last me for very long time. (PS. how long can these motor last if maintain tip top?) As u can see i am new to this.
What ive learn so far to make that much hp is,
A good cam. Any prefer manuf.?,
LS6 Intake,
Headers,
Lid will not be part of this since its going to be hybrid. Im planning on a good K&N filter.
For ECU tuneing since its an OBD II will i need a special program/hardware to tune it?If So what manufacture?
thanks again for the help.

*edit* will stock clutch hold up @ that hp?
Futral, TSP, LG Motorsports are the three that I think of first when it comes to cams. I personally like the G5X3 by LG, but the MS3 by TSP will work well too. FM13 and FM14 by Futral are also nice cams but for 400 rwhp I would go G5X3. Since you will be using an ls1 ECU then Id suggest purchasing EFI Live tuning.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also stock clutch will not hold 400+ rwhp. My stock clutch couldnt even handle boltons. I had the LS7 clutch/LS2 flywheel combo on my car and loved it so Id suggest it for your application as it almost has stock feel to it but grips a whole lot harder.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Cam and Heads,best bang for the buck,or just a decent cam.Lot of good cams out there making nice power.