New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ford explorer v8 and 94 formula better than my 98 t/a in acceleration... why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ls-1 is definitely a different feeling car. When I first test drove one at the dealership my seat of the pants meter didnt go off. I thought to myself it was fast, bt thats it.
My eyeballs didn't sink into my head, there was no roar of the engine.
I am curious as to how long you have owned the ls1. It took me a while to find the sweet spot in the pedal. It is definitely no low end torque monster. Maybe you just need to gear down a bit.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Procharger will fix that in a hurry.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an a4 with 3.23 or up. i forgot. my rpo code for that is gu5.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Try changing the fuel filter, it may be clogged up with 51k worth of crap
FWIW the ls1 has a more linear torque curve than either the lt1 (or I suspect) the explorer, so it doesn't slam you back as much as a peakier engine, it just goes
When I bought my T/A, it just didn't feel as fast as my old IROC, but the numbers tell a very different story, SOTPs it just doesn't feel as fast, but it damn sure is
Old 11-12-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

i changed the fuel filter 2000 miles ago. i see what your sayin though
Old 11-12-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Try changing the fuel filter, it may be clogged up with 51k worth of crap
FWIW the ls1 has a more linear torque curve than either the lt1 (or I suspect) the explorer, so it doesn't slam you back as much as a peakier engine, it just goes
When I bought my T/A, it just didn't feel as fast as my old IROC, but the numbers tell a very different story, SOTPs it just doesn't feel as fast, but it damn sure is
If you look at a dyno of a stock LS1, you will see 90% of its torque is made from idle. The other 10% is slowly developed as it produces peak torque around 4400RPM.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned

explorer springs arnt as stiff as your t/a's so it feels like its faster

my jeep on 35 inch tires feels faster than my bros SS.. just cuz my springs arnt stiff it throws you back in the seat
Old 11-13-2006, 02:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fedge
The Ford 302 and LT1 both have more low end torque than the LS1...the L98 is a boat anchor
Sorry but that's just total CRAP!

Go look at any dyno of a LS1. In stock trim they produce over 90% of their torque by 1500rpm. And funnily enough 90% is still way more than the LT1 manges at PEAK.

Just because the LS1 makes PEAK torque at 4400rpm doesn't mean it makes none at low rpms. It's a lot more torquey than a LT1 and has the ability to hold the torque curve out until 4400rpm where as an LT1 is out of puff by 2500rpm.

DAMN!!!! Wish people would learn to read dyno graphs instead of just looking at PEAK numbers and coming up with info
Old 11-13-2006, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nickstock98t/a
so i drove my fiances moms explorer v8 today and when u barely touch the pedal it zooms and throws you back, same goes for the 94 formula i test drove the other day. my t/a is fast. but when i hit the pedal lightly i feel a little delay and it doesnt really throw me back or zooms out. it feels a little sluggish. but when i push hard it flies and burns out forever. do u fellas have any idea as to why my car is slow? any input from ya all would be really appreciated. thanks folks!
There are several possible answers here:

1. It's all in your head (judging by your "babying" thread this I can believe
2. Your car ain't running right - unlikely
3. Setup, the Ford is a big off roader with a high centre of gravity and off road suspension (i.e. lots of travel compared to a Fbody). So there is a pendulum affect. A small movement results in a larger movement where you are sitting.

As for the Formula, well was it a manual at all? Because it will react differently to an auto due to a lack of a torque converter and the fact it won't change gear automatically. No PCM lag time.
4. Throttle pedal, the LS1 has a heavy throttle pedal, this makes it smooth and progressive. A light throttle pedal means the same amount of pressure on it will result in a more agressive movement, i.e. more throttle input. Jeep Cherokee's have a horribly light throttle pedal but it does make the engine feel very crisp.
5. Technical. The Ls1 uses a large single throttle body. This is not good for throttle response, it lacks curtain area and in general will make the engine feel sluggish in terms of response. A LT1 uses a dual blade TB setup and thus should from a throttle response point of view be much crisper.

A nice example, a mate of mine recently puchased a 1978 Mini Clubman 1275GT is only has a 1.2 litre A-Series engine and runs a single carb. But the throttle response is ultra crisp, you only need to breath on the pedal for it to accelarate. Jumping into my z/28 after driving the Mini it did make the throttle response feel woefully dull by comparison.

Tall gears and a stock torque converter don't help the issue. By swapping these to performance aftermarket parts you will improve the feel of the car, although you will be masking throttle response with gear response and accelaration. They are subtle but distinctly different.

If you look at many race engine (circuit) you'll see most run an individul throttle body per cylinder or per pair of cylinders. This is for largly for throttle control and response.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
A Procharger will fix that in a hurry.
lol, that seems to be your answer for everything

Although a centrifugal blower makes bugger all HP at low rpms because it is an rpm dependant form of FI.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

finally, somebody besides me who likes the Flowmaster
I also have a flowmaster on my 99 bird....
Old 11-14-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

This thread doesnt make any sense to me... i feel sooo much low end torque... i throw myself back in the seat and everyone else in the car. My GF always complains cause she wants me to let her know ahead of time so it doesnt hurt her neck when i hit it... lol. this one time my friend's legs came up off the ground... an i only have full exhaust and a CAI... not sure my gearing, and an M6
Old 11-14-2006, 02:59 AM
Launching!

same problem here, my friends 92 nissan sentra will throw me back better than my trans am.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
lol, that seems to be your answer for everything

I know. It fixes all your problems in a hurry. Procharger for the win. Yeah boooooyy.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

*throwing your back in your seat* is nothing, if not ready for it a bicycle can throw you in your seat (dont ask me why the bicycle has a seat to be thrown back in it just does ) When you start out seat yourself stiff agaisnt the seat and feel the pull of the car. My friends car pulls like a bat out of hell compared to my TA...then again he has an STi doing 0-60 around 3.8-4.2 sec
Old 11-14-2006, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry but that's just total CRAP!

Go look at any dyno of a LS1. In stock trim they produce over 90% of their torque by 1500rpm. And funnily enough 90% is still way more than the LT1 manges at PEAK.

Just because the LS1 makes PEAK torque at 4400rpm doesn't mean it makes none at low rpms. It's a lot more torquey than a LT1 and has the ability to hold the torque curve out until 4400rpm where as an LT1 is out of puff by 2500rpm.

DAMN!!!! Wish people would learn to read dyno graphs instead of just looking at PEAK numbers and coming up with info

damn. my bad
Old 11-14-2006, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

if i had one in front of me, i would know how to read it
Old 11-14-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

damn. my bad
if i had one in front of me, i would know how to read it
No worries. This is just one of my pet hates, that people claim the LS1 has no bottom end.

I've got a stock engine dyno graph for a LS1 on my other PC. I'll try and post it tomorrow. It really shows just how good the LS1 is in stock trim.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

it's cool...I have never seen dyno sheets for any of them stock for stock, I made the usual mistake with the peak numbers...

I can't say no bottom end for the LS1, either, just 'feels' like less i guess
Old 11-14-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

No worries. This is just one of my pet hates, that people claim the LS1 has no bottom end.

I've got a stock engine dyno graph for a LS1 on my other PC. I'll try and post it tomorrow. It really shows just how good the LS1 is in stock trim.
definitely post that dyno i would like to compare it to the stock dyno of my lt1 which produced over 300 ft lbs from 2000 rpm to 4500