Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to take care of an ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 06:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickstock98t/a
yes i baby my car. so can you guys give me tips as far as driving?
so far ive heard this:
1. once you start your car you should drive atleast 10 minutes/10 miles before you turn her off and before you start her up again you should wait 10 minutes.
2. try not to idle as much as possible.
3. never leave the car running while on [P] (park)
4. when at a stop light stay on {n} ( i also heard that leaving it on [N] is bad.)
thats all ive gathered. what do u guys have to say about this? and if you can add more tips, please do. it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

also: when for example sayn asking directions, waiting for friend to get in car or stopping really quick. is it better to turn it off? leave on park? neutral? or what?
thanks
The more I think about your list, the more I think that whoever told you all this pansy bullshit was either:

A) playing a joke on you, or

B) is a homosexual.

Either way, if I were you, I'd hit that dumbass with a shovel. Now, where the hell's the smilie for that....., oh yeah
Old 11-14-2006, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because the above posts are right, I have one thing to add. Unless you are pulling a trailer up or down a steep grade, put your shifter in the OD position when you start and don't touch it untill you park or need to back up!!!!!!
The rest has been well covered.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

wow.... i cant believe all that stuff. i wonder if the person was tryin to give you general info or if they were talkin about FBodies. all i know is if you treat these cars like that... the car isnt gonna like you very much. and its probably gonna run away to a home where it would be used for its purpose. thats like having a big *** truck with a million suspension upgrades... but you keep it on smooth terrain... no need man... no need
Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KENS_SS_4
Because the above posts are right, I have one thing to add. Unless you are pulling a trailer up or down a steep grade, put your shifter in the OD position when you start and don't touch it untill you park or need to back up!!!!!!
The rest has been well covered.
Not true.

1. Who in their right mind is going to use an Fbody to tow a trailer with?

2. When racing it is less damaging and allows for faster gearbox reactions if you use D/3rd.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive it like you stole it...
Old 11-14-2006, 10:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
2. When racing it is less damaging and allows for faster gearbox reactions if you use D/3rd.
Depending on which trans builder you speak with, this is up for debate. I've heard the arguements on both sides, and at this point, I've decided to leave it in OD. In 3rd, fluid is also being sent to engage the overrun clutch and reducing line pressure on the WOT 2-3 upshift, possibily causing slippage. I think this is why some people see higher shift rpms when running it in 3rd, because of the slippage on the 2-3 shift.

My vote goes for OD.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Depending on which trans builder you speak with, this is up for debate. I've heard the arguements on both sides, and at this point, I've decided to leave it in OD. In 3rd, fluid is also being sent to engage the overrun clutch and reducing line pressure on the WOT 2-3 upshift, possibily causing slippage. I think this is why some people see higher shift rpms when running it in 3rd, because of the slippage on the 2-3 shift.

My vote goes for OD.
Ok.

Although from personal experiance, the tranny is far more responsive when in D compared to OD, plus if you are running some decent twisties you don't want it shifting into OD every time you ease up on the throttle pedal.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

pfft. manual > auto 1st/2nd > [D]

fight solved.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

lol thats right no use in havin an ls1 if u cant drive it like it was meant to b driven. MANUAL!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Not true.

1. Who in their right mind is going to use an Fbody to tow a trailer with?
Chat with BitViper on that one

To the original poster, its like any other car. Drive it how it is meant to be driven: truck-towing, van-hauling, economy car-saving gas, performance car- Just don't be hard on it until it is warmed up which others have said, and keep up with general maintenance.

-Mike
Old 11-14-2006, 06:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Manuals were cool when I was in high school. These days I wouldn't want anyting but an auto.

I live next to one of the biggest cities in the US with all the nasty traffic you could imagine, in a part of the country where the only hill you're gonna see is a grassed over landfill. And forget about twisty roads. So yeah, for me A4>M6 all day, any day, any car.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Hey bud... Your taking a lot of grief in this thread.. But if you look past all the attitude, there is alot of good advice here.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MjMaro
Chat with BitViper on that one
Lol I'm sure there's always one, but who says they are in their right mind anyhow??

Besides I don't think the Fbody is rated for towing at all.