New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What mods won't void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree 100% on being nice to your dealer and this is coming from a Service Writer.

I have people that are nice and bring their car's in and they tend to spend money, I tend to cover things. Because they were nice helped. I have offered to cover a repair 50/50 for a customer instead of saying it is $1700 to repair. Because they were nice and spent money here.

I had a guy who A) didn't buy it from us, B) hasnt spent a dime with us and he came to us for a water leak. Needless to say, we couldnt duplicate his concern after 6 hours. He was very rude with me the entire time, and told me what part I will order and cover for him regardless. I told him I cant order parts and install them under warranty because then if it doesnt fix it, that is not good for customer service and not solving his concern. On top of that, we face a possible lemon law issue. He was still rude and condescending to me. He left and I havent ordered **** and refuse to even help him. He isn't getting a damn thing ordered and it's not going to be covered until I see the failure.

Being nice is the key, spending money at your service dept is also key.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do a search on the Magnusson Moss Act. It is the Federal law covering Warrenties. Like blackfang said be nice, but don't let the tech or service writer make the call. They want a ticket that the customer pays. Get the Service Manager involved and make them tell you exactly how the part caused the failure and make them aware that you know what the Magnusson Moss act says on the issue.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

im pretty sure most suspension and mild boltons are ok, but when you go to a dealership ask them, and keep looking for a cool dealership.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Do not mention the MM Act until it gets ugly and you damn well better be ready to get a lawyer and afford the fight. Dealerships have plenty of good Lawyers that work for them and will fight for them and it costs you more money than it does them.

Just be ready foir a long battle that may cost you more money than what its worth.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Driver mod
Old 12-16-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cabech984
The "Wait" mod. If you really want the warranty Id do nothing besides Catback and a Lid and maybe a smooth bellow. Just My opinion. Oh yeah, sneak a cam in too
lol
Old 12-16-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only bolt on that is accepted by all gm dealers is a corsa exhaust
Old 12-16-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had long tubes on mine and they said nothing. Of course when the 02's failed I wasn't gonna bring it back and ask them to fix it. They fixed my car with alot of stuff done to it. I used to work with one of the techs at a restaurant back in the day. I am sure that didn't hurt. I was complaing about a banging sound they told me it was the header smashing into stuff. It's the only dealer I bring my car to.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought mine from a dealer who offered an extended warranty through a certain warranty company which will remain nameless. The car was all factory except the catback system on it at the time of purchase. Two months later, the M6 went and needed to be replaced. The warranty company sent a rep out with a camera and took pictures of the tranny and bottom of the car. Two days later he came back for more pictures and a look at the motor. They denied the claim and cancelled my coverage. They said "the car was modified beyond factory spec." I filed a complaint with the BBB and got nowhere. Next step is arbitration.

Warranty Companies = Crooks
Old 12-17-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

as was said be honest with the dealer and get friendly with techs and especially the serv. mngr. id give them work and didnt BS them. they know whats going on so dont insult their intelligence.

i had a rear and DS warrantied and they knew i modded and raced my car. i didnt get crazy with mods until after my extended warranty expired though.

unless youre dealer is very performance oriented id stay with boltons to keep your warranty intact.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SSlow01
Just like the title says, what can I do to my 01 SS that won't void the extended warranty on it? So far all I have is a Whisper lid and K&N Breather.

Thanks for the help.

Hi SSlow01,
Plain and simple, nothing will void the warrenty really. As long as the aftermarket part didn't cause the problem, everything will be fine. For ex. you installed a 160 degree t-stat, it gets stuck closed and causes the engine to over heat and blow a head gasket... you're paying that bill. swap out your LS1 with an LS6, you're tranny and rear end won't be warrentied (too much power to a rear end or tranny that wasn't build for that power). clutch is never under warrenty. if you developed a knock, oil leak, ect. and they find out you have aftermarket internals, you're paying the bill again. well.. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: What mods won't void warranty?