New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 vs stock ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006 | 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

i only got around 8 rwhp with my LS6 intake, maybe less...every car is not going to se the same gains. Every motor is different.
Old 12-14-2006 | 11:18 PM
Launching!

The LS6 intake has both larger plenum and runner volumes while runner length remains the same. More or less its really a ported LS1 intake. At .550 inches of lift it'll flow 241 cfm which is about an increase of 5% over the LS1. Not a drastic difference and will result in gains on a stock LS1 motor of approximatly 7-8 rwhp. The increase in volume specifically comes into play when added to an agressive head and cam package where you would be more likely to see gains of up to 20 rwhp. The Stock LS1 isnt a bad manifold its simply cannot supply sufficient airflow to the motor on a more heavily modified engine.
Old 12-14-2006 | 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

FTW. It won't matter unelss you are under restriticion under a raceing sanctioned body. Get a squezze of the juice for the same price. If I knew what I knew know Id of just got the procharger with tons of boost and nothing elses. Suckers like me fall into the hype of headers and what not. Imop the intake doen't mean squat unless you are racing in a specific class?
Old 12-15-2006 | 12:35 AM
Launching!

not sure if that answers the question, whats different between the LS1 and LS6 intake but ok.

Originally Posted by The Red WS.6
FTW. Imop the intake doen't mean squat unless you are racing in a specific class?
so in your opinion someone with a H/C package should stick with a LS1 intake because "it doesnt mean squat"? sorry man just doesnt seem like a very good opinion to me. Im not spending 2000 on a H/C package just to have it suffer from a restrictive manafold. Most people on this site simply DD their cars and take em to the T&T once a month, they really dont care what class they are in. Additionally i dont think a motor with 10.1:1 compression enjoys tons of boost from anything
Old 12-15-2006 | 01:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MiketurboLS1
not sure if that answers the question, whats different between the LS1 and LS6 intake but ok.

so in your opinion someone with a H/C package should stick with a LS1 intake because "it doesnt mean squat"? sorry man just doesnt seem like a very good opinion to me. Im not spending 2000 on a H/C package just to have it suffer from a restrictive manafold. Most people on this site simply DD their cars and take em to the T&T once a month, they really dont care what class they are in. Additionally i dont think a motor with 10.1:1 compression enjoys tons of boost from anything
I think he means on a stock motor, meaning that purchasing a nitrous system instead of an LS6 intake on a stock motor.
Old 12-15-2006 | 01:23 AM
Launching!

Shinerbock07 - i see what you are saying i did read his comment correctly, i was commenting on that particular quote he made about the manifold not meaning squat. whats the use in getting a head/cam if its not going to work well with the manifold of course the manifold means something. Im sure nitrous would work fine on stock motor but it has nothing to do with the question. the question was, whats the difference between the LS1 and LS6 manifold, i think we gave some good technical answers as well as real life scenerios illustrating what kind of power gains you can see. would i make more power spraying a 250 shot then switching to the LS6 haha ummm ya, but thats not what we are talking about
Old 12-15-2006 | 01:34 AM
TECH Veteran

I see, I was trying to help. But yes you are right when it comes down to high hp applications when applying the LS6. But i would only Run a LS6 manifold to about 455+rwhp, then its time to switch to the 90mm FAST.
Old 12-15-2006 | 01:47 AM
Launching!

i agree. the FAST 90 will certainly outflow the LS6, not quite satisfied with its design yet, not liking the three piece design. The LS6 would certainly be more restrictive at say 600 hp, but at the same time its stronger. especially to nitrous backfires!
Old 12-15-2006 | 02:48 AM
((((((Administrator))))))
20 Year Member

No matter what you plan on, heads/cam, turbo, blower, nitrous, whatever it is get an LS6 intake period.

If you can afford it, get a FAST 90/90, and they have nitrous burst disc option so the intake does not blow into pieces.

So...review:

Got money......FAST

Not enough money...LS6

Slow....stock LS1 (98 - 00 & 97vette)

Peace,
Craig.
Old 12-15-2006 | 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CRAGER
No matter what you plan on, heads/cam, turbo, blower, nitrous, whatever it is get an LS6 intake period.

If you can afford it, get a FAST 90/90, and they have nitrous burst disc option so the intake does not blow into pieces.

So...review:

Got money......FAST

Not enough money...LS6

Slow....stock LS1 (98 - 00 & 97vette)

Peace,
Craig.
those burst discs dont work....if enough pressure is built up in the intake its gonna blow into pieces...trust me, i speak from experiance. ill never run another Fast intake as long as im in the Lsx game.
ive seen what happens to an Ls6 intake when pressure goes out of wack...the intake cracks...no where near the destruction suffered when a Fast lets go.
just my opinion though....dont be sold on the whole burst disc feature cause it doesnt work.
Old 12-15-2006 | 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shinerbock07
i only got around 8 rwhp with my LS6 intake, maybe less...every car is not going to se the same gains. Every motor is different.

i agree...every car performs differently...even with the same mods...when i put my ls6 intake on i didnt feel the gain cause i had also added the cam and the pulley at the same time
Old 12-15-2006 | 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Ihad already added my cam when I had my stock LS1, and when I added the new intake all I noticed is that it idled and drived MUCH healthier, because the LS1 intake was probably "choking" the motor.
Old 12-17-2006 | 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea Miketurbo, unless you are tyring to make maximum hp it dosen't matter, now does it. And if you read my awenser corretly it was an opinon like an *** hole. We all gots one now don't we? Look up the word opinoin then get back too me.
Old 12-18-2006 | 12:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Red WS.6
Yea Miketurbo, unless you are tyring to make maximum hp it dosen't matter, now does it. And if you read my awenser corretly it was an opinon like an *** hole. We all gots one now don't we? Look up the word opinoin then get back too me.
Depends on what you define as maximum horsepower.

ok so in a thread entitled "LS1 vs LS6, whats the difference" your opinion is get a procharger because the manifold doesnt mean squat. You can have all the opinions you want, it was my opinion that your comment had nothing to do with the thread. The kid had a question so why dont you try and help him understand it.

Last edited by MiketurboLS1; 12-22-2006 at 01:33 PM.