New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scratched the right backside of my car! h*ly sh*t!!! help!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratched the right backside of my car! h*ly sh*t!!! help!?

hi, newb to ls1tech here. let me start off with on this site w/ a story... so there i was parking the t/a far from everyone at the mall next to a wall, i got cocky and got as close as possible as i cant to the wall, but i got closer than i thought i did. turns out i have a little scrape. not too deep. im so sick of my paints imperfections. one from my car cover and one from all the fu*kin rock chips and door dings. im pissed. any idea on how much a paint job will cost me? i want gm to do it. i want the same exact paint i have on it now (stock). thanks guys.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

stock paint is 2 stage with clear plus shop rates about 67+ an hour plus going toa dealer $$$ id say 1500 maybe more maybe less depends if they do blending on some good surfaces and do not do the entire car.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any paint shop can get you your exact color, (My dad is a painter) all they have to do is type your year and type of car and it will tell them exactly how many grams of each color such as; black, silver, and red to make the exact shade of the color that is on your car right now as it cam off the showroom floor.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for got price prob mid to upper grand
Old 12-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Launching!

i see. thanks guys. i will get on that soon.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

getting the exact same paint you have now is impossible... getting the same color is easy... but OEM paint is impossible to replicate with aftermarket stuff.

Did you want to do an overall paint job or just fix a few small problem areas? I work for Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes.. so if you need some paint let me know.. i can get it for you. bjamick is right.. kinda.. its a little more involved than just punching up the formula.. there are probably 5 or 6 variations of the same color depending on how it went down the assembly line.. so if you wanted it exact for a spot rapair.. make sure the shop knows how to tint colors.. or send me a sample of the color (gas door, some kinda trim piece.. anything with the exterior color) and i can get it perfect. or as it was said before make sure the shop can blend.

What color is your car by the way? Red is the most expensive color paint you can get.. dark red being even worse.. the pigments are a lot harder to get than.. say.. blue or green.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we nee pics to give us a better idea
Old 12-22-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm at the same point. My paint is so shitty and everytime I get something fixed(had a 12 inch crack in my door from father backing up into my car) it gets fucked up by something else. I'm at the point that when my car has enough miles on it that it isn't worth ****, i'll just paint it flat black myself.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

My brother and I have painted a few cars. It does seem scary, and it is a ton of prep work and hours of sanding, spraying, and sanding. BUT if you take your time, do your homework, and are willing to put in the elbow grease you can really come out with a decent paintjob. Not to mention the satisfaction. Although you just might murder someone when they scratch it on you.