New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just how bad are ls1s in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007 | 03:12 PM
Teching In

I haven't found any tires of my car that will do in the snow. I'm in Germany and this time of the year my car doesn't move very much. Good luck man
Old 01-03-2007 | 04:20 PM
On The Tree

We used to use our 99 ss M6 vert in the snow, with BFG KDWS tires. Wasn't that bad in the snow, and got cought in some pretty bad storms.

Used my 89 Formuly with an A4 in the snow pleanty of times, of course that car was much better once i added a posi unit to it.
Old 01-03-2007 | 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zo6vette037
4 years in Alaska with no problems. I have use cooper studded tires and always get around fine. Just drive normal and be safe.

Totally agree.

I live in north western Alberta and have been driving my stock t/a this winter.

The biggest problem is the torque spinning the tires all the time.
If you have more performance parts in your car, I can only imagine it getting worse.
I drove downtown on the first snowfall of the year on the original Z-rated tires.
It was horrible.
The car doesn't stop, turn or accelerate in the snow. (and that's with no ice on the roads) And if you don't creep through the stopsigns, specially if there's a little rise at the intersection... you're hooped.

Luckily I had 2 winter tires from my grande prix that I traded off on the t/a.
They weren't anything too special, but they worked great on the grande prix.
Unfortunatly I only have those two tires on the rear, so I still have troubles breaking and making turns. They're also skinnier than the tires our front, so they look funny too

On the plus side... every turn is exciting and 1/2 of them could pass as scenes from tokyo drift. Some of them on purpose too.

I'd have big reservations taking it down the hi-way. =\

If you live in a place where it gets damn cold like zo6vette037 or myself... you might find that the car takes longer than normal to get any heat out of the engine. I don't know if its a wimpy heater, or if the car has a lower thermostat, but its normally 20 minutes or more before it starts blowing warmer air. (warmer then the cold air... hardly hot) I mihgt drive here and there around town for an hour or more and never need to turn the heat down.

If you drive for the conditions, its not too bad, but I always worry that some jackass will slide into me and crumple my car. No matter how carefull I am, I can't do a damn thing about the other people out there.
Old 01-03-2007 | 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

You poor yankee bastards, it hasn't snowed once in Nashville since I got my car 3 years ago. Although that blizzard in 2003 was crazy, it dumped 12" of snow on Nashville in 5 hours, and someparts of the midstate got 24".

I've driven a one tire fryer(95 Grand Marquis) during that blizzard, and the open diff should be made illegal on any new car and banished back to hell where it came from. We managed to hit 2 mailboxes and got stuck 6 times on our joyride before finally putting the car into a ditch
Old 01-03-2007 | 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

I'll bet the grand marque sure didn't have 330whp and 340# of torque either.
Old 01-03-2007 | 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rede
I'll bet the grand marque sure didn't have 330whp and 340# of torque either.
Oh that thing was pathetic with the 4.6 V8. I believe Honda has more powerful 4 bangers out there now.