Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chronis Problem Catagory?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chronis Problem Catagory?

I have one of those either its this or that problems that I have been looking to fix for a while but have had no luck. If you have a chronic problem ( mine is banging the rev limiter between gears on an a4) that could be the CPU (which has been tuned on a dyno) or the Transmission ( which has just been rebuilt again) But nobody knows how to isolate the trouble. What I guess i'm asking is if you have a chronic problem that could have multipule causes how do you isolate it? I've taken the car to the tuner who has tuned several 98's including the shop drag car. He tells me its the tranny not shifting correctly. And if I take it back to the tranny shop he puts a diag. box on it and it shows the siginal from the CPU to the tranny isn't seen until after it hits the rev limiter..........so I'm stuck in the middle wondering how to post this up for some help.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that's some pickle. What I would do is first mess around with your tune. Set the shifting to early points, like 1000 before redline, to see if the tune is being incorporated into the way the trans shifts. Adjust it to a few test points and then test on the car, to make sure the computer is reading the tune right.

From this you'll be able to determine whether or not the PCM is reading the tune. If it is, then you just have to adjust your shift points lower to shift before hitting the limiter. If it isn't then you know something is wrong with the way the trans is reading the computer.

If there is something wrong, I suppose at the transmission shop they have electronic diagnosis equipment to check out the electronics of the transmission, which you may or may not have done already.

Also what about torque management? Is it enabled? If so, and you are still having problems shifting, I would re-enable it, and see if it works. The point is to make sure the changes you make in the tune are being carried out in the transmission.

Report back with the results of these tests and we can see where to go from there, or talk to your guys and see if they have any additional suggestions.