Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some one help me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some one help me...

ok this is the only forum i have found with smart ppl that know theyre cars .... my question is i have a 92 gmc sierra p/u ... i no this is not a Fbody which i do have but im stuck on this problem and that is my truck will will turn over but wont start.. my fuel pump is fine and im gettin gas.. however i checked my distributor cap and that was corroded and broken so i replaced that and the rotor and my truck started up .. except when i gave it gas it died ... then 2 hrs later it wouldnt start up at all.... im think it could be my electronic spark control module.. any suggestions?? thanks

94 z28 CaMaRo - 410 gears.. exhaust... hooker headers...intake
92 GMC Sierra - DeAD lol
Old 01-10-2007, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it started after you put on the new its either your coil or the ignition module. It's always a good rule of thumb when you change rotor and cap you should also change wires/ plugs/ and coil. I used to have one of these trucks and had then same problem. Gave it a tune up and fired right up. Also, don't forget about vapor lock. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you line the cap back up properly....so its not retarded or advanced to much?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The caps on those trucks can only go on one way. It of course is possible that he didn't put the wires back on right.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm, true then...i was going off of my s10...
Old 01-10-2007, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

i have see the pick up coil go bad a lot on those trucks it easier just to buy a rebuilt distributor
Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Teching In

i did the correct firing order when putting the wires back on... but yea the igniton module was what i was thinking... because it did start then when i gave it gas to go forward or backwards it stalled out and died...
Old 01-11-2007, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe throttle position sensor? DId you try giving it gas when starting? Probably not, but it's caused failed starts before
Old 01-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Teching In

+1 on the pickup coil.
I know you stated your fuel system is fine but something else I've had to deal with on our '93 Chevrolet shop truck was a stuck float in the tank. One of the shop techs put a fuel pump in and about 6 months later it would start, run for a little bit(about 10 minutes), and die. Then wouldn't run for the for the rest of the day. The next day it would do the same thing. The fuel system seemed fine. The fuel guage showed it had fuel and the injectors had a nice pattern. Added 5 gallons to it after checking everything else and it ran just fine. Come to find out the float for the fuel guage had gotten hung on a baffle in the tank.
I'll check to make sure when I go to work but I think there's an oil pressure switch to cut the fuel pump relay. It should be located behind the distributor. The fuel pump relay switches over to the oil pressure switch after the engine starts.