Old 01-21-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on help me out here??? anyone???
Old 01-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blknight6989
OK another newb question to add to this....aftyer i install LT's and full exhaust and what not....jsut how extensive of a tune are we talking....for example...ont he speed inc website...would i be at the $500 tune or just the basic one??
It all depends on the tuner. Most of the time you are going to be charged the full price. Usually tuners don't distinguish from a 'basic' tune and a 'full' tune, but there are some tuners than differ out there. One thing most have in common, is once you pay for a 'full' tune, additional tuning sessions are much less in fact closer to $150. So you don't have to keep paying $500, when you add another round of mods to your car. I would only pay for a full tune if you 1) have all the boltons, including long tubes, or 2) get a cam and/or heads, in addition to boltons, and obviously 3) custom or FI situations.

EDIT: I just checked out Speed Inc's "basic" tune, and it's not really a tune, just some programming (like fan settings, deleting codes, shift points and skip shift...). So for your application, if you actually want your car 'tuned', you need a full tune.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:26 AM
Teching In

A basic tune will do the job. stock or bolt-ons you'll feel the differance.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Banned

okay, so i why cant i use the diablo sport to tune it myself? providing i have the support equipment to measure everything? does the software give me something it doesnt?

liek more specific changes every 50rpm or different modes, or something, i dunno im stretching, i dont see any threads that talk about the software or do it your self tuning.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1_K1DD
Thanks for all info. its been appreciated.. i hate living in a small town closest dyno is 175 miles away
Closest one to me is 5 hours away.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sobaka79
okay, so i why cant i use the diablo sport to tune it myself? providing i have the support equipment to measure everything? does the software give me something it doesnt?

liek more specific changes every 50rpm or different modes, or something, i dunno im stretching, i dont see any threads that talk about the software or do it your self tuning.
The problem with handhelds is their tune is not very accurate. All it does is bump the timing a little maybe lean it out some. It hardly does anything at all. That's why people don't recommend handheld tuners, because they are not worth the high price, they hardly do anything.

You can buy tuning software on your own, like HPTuner or EFI Live, but you have to know what you're doing in order to tune it. In other words, it doesn't tune itself, you have to have knowledge of all the parameters and what they do.

What most people do is get a tune from a professional. They will either use EFI live or HPTuner themselves, and tune the vehicle on a dyno. Once you have all the boltons, it's wise to get a tune. Or after you get a cam. But just for a few mods, it's not worth getting a tune. Save your money until you have all the boltons, including long tube headers, then pay for a tune.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

I had my stock 01 tuned and picked up 10hp and 10 tq, but more importantly the car is much more responsive and shifts much nicer. I paid 350.00 for a full tune using HP and If I need something changed the charge will be nominal. Who ever owned the car before me jacked around with a hand held programmer and did more harm than good. IMO tuning is best left to those who are in that business. My car also gets better gas mileage now and the tune will end up paying for itself in this regard...
Old 01-24-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow thanks alot so once i get all the stuff done im doing for a while il get a full tune but idk if im gona use speed inc. cuz 500 seems like a fukin lot!!!...but i also hear their the best so idk....anyone have any expierence wiht Ooutlaw motorsports im only and hour from them????
Old 01-24-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blknight6989
OK another newb question to add to this....aftyer i install LT's and full exhaust and what not....jsut how extensive of a tune are we talking....for example...ont he speed inc website...would i be at the $500 tune or just the basic one??
$400-$500 is about normal. I just had mine tuned about a week ago the tune itself was $350 and the dyno was $100, $450 total. I picked up 17hp and 18ft lbs with bolt ons.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

My Tune was 350.00 including dyno runs and road tuning with HP. We did my tune sitting on the dyno. Then we went out on the road to work with shifting and line pressure. Money well spent and the car was not put on the edge either, just good usable power throughout the power band and improved shifting.Gas mileage is better now also...

Last edited by RedStreak; 01-24-2007 at 11:24 PM.