Bought a 00 Z with lots of mods just need some basic ?'s answered

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007 | 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Good luck with your car
Old 01-16-2007 | 05:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lsx24
Your gear is fine, no need to change. Check out my gear ratio page for information on how fast you would go in each gear:
http://ubfm.net/ratios.htm

You're not going to run out of gear with 3.73, 4th is good for over 123 mph @ 6000 rpm, 133 mph @ 6500 rpm, your cam is good to at least 6500 rpm.

I guess I wasn't too specific on the gear thing. I meant If I had a 4.10 it would be too much gear for the 1/4 on nitrous. Right? That might be why he opted for the 3.73.

As for price, I paid 13. Now keep in mind it has 50,000 miles, one owner, garage kept, non smoker, and has just about all the mods a guy could upgrade to. He said over 10 grand in mods over 6 years and it doesn't feel beat up at all. I test drove 4 other F bodies at car lots and private owners and got a good feel for what was abused and what felt tight. BTW, he put all new polly bushings in it too.

The clutch and rear end were less than a year old. He had another camaro that was going big time racing and needed the money I guess. One thing that he took out of this car was the roll bar. I wish I had that though.
Stacey
Old 01-16-2007 | 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah if i was you keep it as IS! if you want more N/A power you could always throw in something with a 230s duration .600 lift"ish".. all you need is a rollcage so you wont get kicked out of the track NICE car! seems like it was set up perfect, and the owner didnt K I C K the **** outa it
do you know how much power its making N/A and on the bottle?
Old 01-16-2007 | 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

i could be hallucinating but are those hood pins?
Old 01-16-2007 | 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NEW 2 THE F BODY
One other issue. I have one cylinder with what I assume is piston slap at cold startup. It lasts until the engine gets completely warmed up and then is quiet as a mouse. No ticking, or anything. When I bought the car It didn't have a piston slapping. then I changed the oil to 5w Redline and that is when the slapping started. Thinner oil? Not too much of an issue, I just wait till she's all warmed up to get on er. It does sound really bad at cold startup though. I should take a quick vid of it so you can hear it. You'd probably say, " HOLLY ****"! But like I said, I wait till it's warmed up to wind it out.
It's more than likely a lifter not holding its preload, and as the oil warms up its loading back up. I would suggest to let it warm up before going anywhere, even on a warm/hot day.
Old 01-16-2007 | 09:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
i could be hallucinating but are those hood pins?

Ya, It came with pins. I'm going to try and get a couple better pics up. Car sits so low I can't even get my floor jack under the side frame. I took the wife out for her birthday dinner tonight in it. I nailed it in first going about 25 mph, I'm all over the place, hit second took it up to redline, kinda let up in 3rd and the wife says warn me next time. I about gave her a heart attack. She loves it though. Also a pic of my wifes toy.
Attached Thumbnails Bought a 00 Z with lots of mods just need some basic ?'s answered-img_0145.jpg   Bought a 00 Z with lots of mods just need some basic ?'s answered-img_0121.jpg  
Old 01-17-2007 | 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NEW 2 THE F BODY
I guess I wasn't too specific on the gear thing. I meant If I had a 4.10 it would be too much gear for the 1/4 on nitrous. Right? That might be why he opted for the 3.73.
Well with 4.10s you would max out @ 121 mph, at 6500 rpm, in 4th. If you are planning to trap higher than that (most likely with the N02) yes you will run out of gear.
Old 01-17-2007 | 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001bluerata
It's more than likely a lifter not holding its preload, and as the oil warms up its loading back up. I would suggest to let it warm up before going anywhere, even on a warm/hot day.

Nah, not a lifter. way deeper in the internals. I've had roads, I've had bad lifters. Even had BB chevys with massive valve train noise. It's a piston. But as long as it goes away after full warm up I'm not too concerned. I just thought the LS1 might have been notorious for piston slap. Maybe this summer I'll switch to a little heavier oil.