New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coming into 3500$

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007 | 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default coming into 3500$

ok so i may be getting about 3500$ real soon and was thinking qtp headers and one of there y pipes but what should i do on those they have the 3 styles cats, cutouts w/ no cats, and straight y pipe. so which one of those do you think. headers are either qtp's or kooks. then what programming software is best i was looking at ls1edit but was told hp-tuners was better which one should i go with. and is that slp air pac really worth it. i know the lid would cost 100 and the bellows 65 then another 50 for the filter. does that little forced induction thing really work. or should i just make the hood a true ram air and loose the lid and put a cone filter in there. im trying to stay just internals right now i have a magna flow cat back already but that will probably be changed. should i buy the rear end next or just redo the cam and lifters. i was going to do shaft mount roller rockers either granatelli or jesel. i prefer jesel but have you guys heard anything good about the granatellis. oh yeah id be doing a light weight flywheel and a new clutch package who makes the best flywheel and clutches right now.
Old 01-15-2007 | 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok it depends on how far u wanna go with this car... if i were u i would go with, 1)qtp heads w/ the y that has the c/os build in, 2) go with the slp flow pack, 3) get a HSW nitrous kit (great package for the money and they have great customer care) thats what i would do so far and then go from there
Old 01-15-2007 | 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

id go with nitrous but there is only o ne company i will ever buy a nitrous kit from and thats wilson manifolds and they dont make a kit for this car unless i get the fast intake which someday in the future will happen. basically i want this car to be a full on strip car in 2-5 years
Old 01-15-2007 | 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

id be going with the strange bolt in 12 inch which would be awesome expensive but very cool. it drops in just like a 9 inch does. it would cost me around 2500 for that though so i need to wait
Old 01-15-2007 | 10:37 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Save your money on the flow pac and get a lid with a stock paper filter. The bellow is basically for looks unless you are fighting for that last little bit of 550rwhp.

If you are looking for a drag setup overall, get an offroad pipe with Kooks/QTP (They are both great) 1 3/4 headers and either and y-x-h pipe and bullets dumped.

Why Wilson Manifolds nitrous? Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet, TNT, Nitrous Express (NX), Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS), Nitrous Works, Zex...ect list goes on. Why are you thinking only Wilson Manifolds? You know that the Zex kit is the one that comes on there with the direct port. Owned and operated by Comp Cams.

True Ram Air is worthless... It will not be how it would seem. Trust me. If it is a T/A then just de-baffle the hood and get a lid.

Edit and Tuners are both excellent. I have both as well as EFI-Live.

Don't mess with the rockers untill you get the rest of the bolt-ons, and start in with the cam. Do the heads at the same time for ease of install or price reduction if you are having a shop do it.

Also, a 9" will not just "drop in" an f-body. They will have to be setup first, and I know first - 4th hand that they are a pain in the *** for fitament. You have to almost 9 out of 10 times break out the BFH and beat the crap out of the floor pan just to get it to fit.

Stick with the Jesel plan.

If you are planning on drag racing. Do not get an aluminum "lightweight" flywheel. Stick with a steel one. Unless of course you are running a twin or a triple disc clutch. You are going to want to do the rear as soon as possible, but I would assume that you really don't need anything more than a 31 spline Moser 12 bolt with a posi unit.
Old 01-15-2007 | 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

ive just used wilson on my previous cars and have never had a problem with it. ive ran edelbrock and nx and didnt like it. i know its a gay color but man i love the look of there systems.
Old 01-16-2007 | 09:19 AM
Banned

I would first do intake and exhaust. You want your engine to breathe! A good intake and exhaust system will be a great foundation for whatever else is down the road, mod wise.

Start with QTP/Kooks headers and Bassani True Duals, that will run under $2k installed, and you will have a bad *** stainless steel best-performing exhaust.

If you are a 98-00 get a ls6 intake manifold, plus stock ported tb. Don't forget about a lid, but you can forget about ram air, pretty much worthless except for the CAI aspect.

If you are planning to drag race heavily, now is the time to invest in a good rear end and clutch. That would just about eat up your remaining allotment, but you would have a great bolt-on ls1, that would be safe and sturdy to drag race with.