New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I WANT to do the "Drill Mod"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that my Master is going on my 98 because it's starting to squeek when I push the clutch in and the fluid is black as others have said. I really don't plan on doing much to my car. I just have the mods in my sig and the future mods will prob be all i'm going to do to my 98 cause it's my daily driver. I'm going to do the drill mod when I replace it but should I buy a stock one or a Ram or other after market MC? Your drilling out the hydraulic line that is on the car, right? I've looked at installuniversity but still i'm not sure if that line is on my car now or if it will come with the new master. I would rather take it to work with me to drill it but if it's on my car now i'll have to do it at home. If anyone could answer my questions I would appriciate it. Thanks.......Zac
Old 03-04-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Where the line attaches to the Master cylinder there will be a 1/8" roll pin. When you push the pin out the line will pull out of the master cylinder. The line that you have just pulled free will have a metal collar. That is where you will drill. If you insert a 7/64th drill into the collar (hose end) you will be stopped by the restrictive orifice. When you drill, you will only go a small fraction of an inch and there will be very little metal removed. That is all there is to it. Some people drill with a larger diameter and end up removing not only the restriction but also some of the wall of the collar. This has no advantage as the inside of the line will be smaller than what they have drilled. Besides just removing extra metal from the collar you lose the ability to feel a distinctive end point to stop drilling. Some may argue this point so you can make the judgement call yourself.

Be sure to flush the line clear when you have finished. Also have a friend help you to flush the master cylinder clean at this time as well.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

One more word on this. I went to installuniversity.com to verify the drill size. My virus scanner detected a banner virus as I opened the web page. I do not know if the virus was legitimate or even if it came from that web page. I certainly don't want to deter any traffic from viewing their site but I also feel obligated to mention what happened.

Moderator, please delete this post if it is inappropriate.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Yeah i've got a virus alert there myself. Dunno about it though.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that a little better now. Only thing is I don't know if I should pay the extra money for the adjustable MC or just buy a stock one. Again i'm not doing any more to my car than what's in my sig so I kinda feel the adjustable one is pointless. Right or wrong?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 594 Likes on 471 Posts

I have a '98 and as far as I know, everything is stock and I have NEVER had a problem with the clutch sticking. 140K on the car.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zacs98Z
Yeah i've got a virus alert there myself. Dunno about it though.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that a little better now. Only thing is I don't know if I should pay the extra money for the adjustable MC or just buy a stock one. Again i'm not doing any more to my car than what's in my sig so I kinda feel the adjustable one is pointless. Right or wrong?
Thanks for providing something to reply to. As for the adjustable MC; it does give you the ability to place the engagement point where you want it on the pedal travel. At least that's what I think it does. Mine seems to be in a good spot so it would seem to be pointless to me as well but perhaps someone else has other information on them.