Sponsored by:

clean slate

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clean slate

[Hope this is the right forum for this post...???]

So I have this '97 Camaro RS/V6 sitting in my garage with a spun bearing. Sounds terrible - seriously, it sounds like an angry midget is underneath the car banging away with a ball peen hammer! Anyway, the car is just begging me to put something beastly under the hood. Question is, what? This will be a 99% street driven car - VERY minimal strip - but I do like to shred the tires now and again. So I'm looking for the highest torque/$ ratio I can get. I'd like to see 400+HP/400++TQ (again, emphasis on torque), within a basic RPM range of, say 1500 - 5000RPM.

I've pondered about every combination from 350 to 427 (355, 364, 383, 402, 400...). But I can't quite seem to make up my mind. Any opinions? I really need to keep cost to a minimum, which is one reason I have been leaning heavily in the direction of the 383. A buddy of mine has a complete TPI w/MAF system, a pair of fully assembled #3932441 heads, as well as some 4.030" KB Hyper. flat top pistons with 5.7" rods, all of which he's willing to sell me for $450. I figure (hope?) I should be able to get a good 350 block and machine work done for <$500, which puts me just under the $1000 mark. Then add in a quality crank (probably Scat 9000, $250) + hydraulic cam/lifters ($200) + pushrods ($50) + timing set ($100) + and say another $450 for all the other odds-n-ends (oil pan, bearings, gaskets, lubes, oil pan, etc.). I know there's stuff I'm totally forgetting about, but that SWAG puts me right at $2000. Not a bad price to go from a busted V6 to a decent 383. The real wild card here is that I have NO idea what I'm getting into with the TPI - any idea how hard it'll be to get it to work well in a formerly V6 '97 Camaro? I can't be the first guy to think about doing this... I've done some searching but most of the swaps like this I've run across involve putting something like this in an older vehicle.

TPI and other fears of the unknown aside, that's where I'm at so far. Anyone see major prob's with it? I'm definitely open to suggestions here; if I'm going to change direction now's the time, so I thought I'd try to get some feedback from the experts here before diving in.

Whatcha think?
DB