New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nascar LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a boom tube and a cam kit and you'll have it.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I dont see how its so unbelievable, its a race engine using racing gas.
97 octane unleaded fuel is hardly racing gas.

Originally Posted by staringback05
considering those cars weigh nothing and their aerodynamics is beyond acceptable....it wouldnt be hard to see a 346 doing those speeds
The aerodynamics of those cars are good. But they don't weigh next to nothing. They are 3400lbs without driver. And will still do over 200 on the larger non-restrictor plate tracks.

12:1 compression, 830cfm carb, and make 750-800hp on a 358 cid pushrod motor. They could easily make more but that the restrictions are set to that. These motors are not your typical small blocks though. They are SB2 blocks(speaking chevy) with 11 degree heads on them and a dry sump oil pan. The stuff they use inside the motor is obviously top notch sh$t as well.

I think those cars are impressive as hell with what they have to work with.

Yeah you could get an ls1 to make that kind of power with 346 cubes. Probably wouldn't be too big of a deal. It would just cost alot to build one that could run 8-10,000 rpms wide open for 500miles.

I hear GM got approved to use a new engine. Not sure what it is but it's called the RC3 or something like that. It may be based off the ls1 design... Let's hope so
Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's some official press info, there is some LS tie ins:

New GM Racing Engine to Power Chevy in Cup in 2007: It's all change for Team Chevy in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series in 2007. In addition to the scheduled introduction of the Impala SS Car of Tomorrow in March, GM Racing is introducing a new small-block V-8 racing engine that was specifically designed for NASCAR competition. The new powerplant - designated R07 - has been approved by NASCAR for competition in 2007. Chevrolet teams are expected to begin the transition from the current SB2 (Small-Block/2nd Generation) engine to the new R07 in March. Work on a successor to the SB2 began shortly after the SB2's introduction in NASCAR competition in 1998. The R07 retains the pushrod/two-valve layout that has been the mainstay of American motorsports since the introduction of the first-generation GM small-block V-8 in 1955. It is a highly advanced racing engine that meets NASCAR's specifications. Per NASCAR regulations, the R07 displaces a maximum of 358 cubic inches. In contrast to the SB2's "mirror port" cylinder heads, the R07's cylinder heads resemble production LS-series small-block cylinder heads with alternating intake and exhaust valves. While production small-block V-8 engines employ electronic fuel injection, the R07 port layout is optimized for the single four-barrel carburetor mandated by NASCAR. The R07's key technical advances over the SB2 include 4.500-inch cylinder bore centers (vs. 4.400 inches in SB2), a raised camshaft that improves valvetrain dynamics, a new six-bolt head bolt pattern that reduces cylinder bore distortion, and a targeted cooling system that minimizes temperatures at critical locations. A cast camshaft tunnel, integral piston squirter galleries, and overhead oil feed galleries reduce engine assembly time. Relocating the fuel pump to the inboard side of the car and eliminating external oil and coolant lines enhance safety. Although the R07 is a purpose-built racing engine, it has strong ties to production powerplants. "The concepts and processes that are used to improve the performance of our racing engines is shared with the production engine designers to improve the efficiency of our production engines," said Tom Stephens, group vice president of GM Powertrain.(GM Racing PR)(2-15-2007)
Old 03-08-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
This I believe, given that they are using precision built Inconel tubing.

In response to your "so what", F1 engine answer; I certainly hope that the "premier racing series in the world's" engines can do what they do. Given that except for displacement, they are somewhat UNLIMITED in the technology (AND expenditures) allowed (pneumatic valvetrains, beyond space age materials, balancing to within a millionth of a gram, [j/k on that one!], etc.), it's NO WONDER they can do what they do so well.

You do have to admit though that NASCAR engines, given their rules limitations, and "outdated, low tech, carbed, OHV/pushrod designs" make some decent power (as do the Trans Am race series cars with similar, albeit smaller displacement powerplants).
Personally I really all there is about NASCAR (the engines and the noise) it's just the racing that bores me, but hay I'm British and used to more corners, lol

Originally Posted by dailydriver
BTW; I heard Katech state that the C5/6Rs put out the power you've stated WITH the requisite inlet restrictors in place. Take them away and the power shoots up into the 900-950 hp range.
Yeah I've never been sure what they really run. All the engines have restroctors on them even the small multivalve Ferrari V8's.

I do know that a few years back when TVR raced the V12 the race version prodcued less HP than the road going one.

DOHC V12 7.7 litre STOCK road trim 800bhp+ (althogh reports of topping out more than one 1000bhp engine dyno from TVR insiders).

GT Race version DOHC V12 7.7 litre only 660bhp or so.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Launching!

all you need is pump gas and a little octane booster

Quick Reply: Nascar LS1?