New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Newbie-Can't Burn Out!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007 | 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Question Total Newbie-Can't Burn Out!!!!

I sold my '99 a4 Z28 vert for a '00 SS M6 about 2 weeks ago. I could smoke the automatic at will, halfway down the street, no problem. I can barely get the tires to chirp on the M6. I'm kinda new to the manual on a an engine like the LS1 (plenty of time on a 4 banger though). I don't think the clutch is slipping because the rpms dont really climb that fast. Once the car gets going, it's goes plenty. The tires are new (Kumhos) but I am hesitant to drop the clutch at 5 grand to get em smokin'.
Old 03-05-2007 | 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Bounce the limiter then dump the clutch
Old 03-06-2007 | 12:07 AM
Teching In

I had a '95Z automatic and it took me a little while to get back to shifting manual.
It just takes some practice to get it to chirp, I can get sideways in second now and chirp third, shifting out around 5800rpm.
If you are trying a burnout just dump the clutch around 3500rpm.
It should light the tires up.
Old 03-06-2007 | 02:05 AM
12 Second Club

Rev to 3k, dump the clutch and simultaneously hit the brake. Don't hit the brake too hard though, just enough not to stall it.
Old 03-06-2007 | 03:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ShaneD_06GTO
Rev to 3k, dump the clutch and simultaneously hit the brake. Don't hit the brake too hard though, just enough not to stall it.
yup!,.......what he said!
Old 03-06-2007 | 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

1. Press in clutch.
2. Rev motor to 6k.
3. Drop clutch.
4. Gently apply brake.
5. Enjoy the show.
Old 03-06-2007 | 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure traction control is off haha it has happened before... not to steal the thread but is it normal to chirp 2nd and 3rd in an Auto with trantion control on?
Old 03-06-2007 | 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, I don't feel like such a dweeb anymore (o.k., a little maybe). I can't wait to try your recommendations! i was wondering if there was something wrong with the low-end power on the car. It seems to rev slowly until the upper rpm range. Is it worthwhile to dyno-tune a car with little mods?
Old 03-06-2007 | 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Intense
make sure traction control is off haha it has happened before... not to steal the thread but is it normal to chirp 2nd and 3rd in an Auto with trantion control on?

lol, good advice, foiled my coolness a couple of times I would say 2nd, but not 3rd.
Old 03-06-2007 | 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

it is really not worth it for a full tune yet, but if you do it would at least it would give you a base for where you are now to where you want to be.
Old 03-06-2007 | 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

tuning a car is ALWAYS a good idea. they come with a stupid tune from the factory, you'll definately be able to feel the tune. i'd do it.
Old 03-06-2007 | 12:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
lol, good advice, foiled my coolness a couple of times I would say 2nd, but not 3rd.
In the quiet words of the virgin mary.....Come again?
you have an ss and you can barely chirp the tires? forget all this dumping the clutch ****, turn your traction control off, slip the clutch out so ur rolling and hammer the gas. dude my m6 z28 (2000) will demolish (not chirp) the tires all the way to third gear easily. you CANNOT have the traction control on because when you break traction (and you will BREAK traction, its an ss) it kicks the pedal back and cuts engine power because traction control is a worthless thing on a rwd drive v8 muscle car.
oh and by the way, when you do this make sure there is no one in front of you bc you will travel a long distance in a VERY short amount of time.
Old 03-06-2007 | 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Yes, traction control is off. It just feels lacking down low. When I purchased the car it ran terribly. It idled fine and ran o.k. under around town driving but as soon as I got on it, it miss-fired like crazy. I took it back to the (used car) dealer and they 'fixed" it. Said it was hand-held tuned by the previous owner so they "re-tuned" it (or de-tuned it, I don't know). The timing just feels off so perhaps the tune might be in order.
Old 03-06-2007 | 02:27 PM
On The Tree

You might want to consider seafoaming it. It's a stick WITH an ls1, burning out on these cars isn't rocket science! The car must have something wrong with it, and I seriously hope it's not the driver mod. If so, practice makes perfect... Good luck!
Old 03-06-2007 | 02:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chipabba
Yes, traction control is off. It just feels lacking down low. When I purchased the car it ran terribly. It idled fine and ran o.k. under around town driving but as soon as I got on it, it miss-fired like crazy. I took it back to the (used car) dealer and they 'fixed" it. Said it was hand-held tuned by the previous owner so they "re-tuned" it (or de-tuned it, I don't know). The timing just feels off so perhaps the tune might be in order.
it doesnt have a cam does it? In light of this new info i would def. get that car a solid tune. those handheld programmers are only as good as the operator and you can really **** up timing with one. a guy i know has an ss with a rather large cam and something like 72cc? combust. chamber heads. his was tuned by the previous owner too. i dont even think hes breaking 12.90s. good luck..........
Old 03-06-2007 | 02:40 PM
Teching In

Practice, But everyone seems to have the right idea about revving to around 4 grand dumping the clutch and giving it just enough brake to stop the car. good luck.

Old 03-06-2007 | 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by secondgearscratch
In the quiet words of the virgin mary.....Come again?
you have an ss and you can barely chirp the tires? forget all this dumping the clutch ****, turn your traction control off, slip the clutch out so ur rolling and hammer the gas. dude my m6 z28 (2000) will demolish (not chirp) the tires all the way to third gear easily. you CANNOT have the traction control on because when you break traction (and you will BREAK traction, its an ss) it kicks the pedal back and cuts engine power because traction control is a worthless thing on a rwd drive v8 muscle car.
oh and by the way, when you do this make sure there is no one in front of you bc you will travel a long distance in a VERY short amount of time.
same here in my 02 z, exspecially (cant spell)when its cold. i do this passing people that **** me off or when they ride my ***, you should see there faces.
Old 03-06-2007 | 07:35 PM
On The Tree

O.K., another wrinkle....no dyno tune in Hawaii! So, now I have to do the hand-held or laptop based tune w/o a dynometer. Am I hijacking my own thread here or what?
Old 03-06-2007 | 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Just get a linelock.
Old 03-06-2007 | 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by styoung
same here in my 02 z, exspecially (cant spell)when its cold. i do this passing people that **** me off or when they ride my ***, you should see there faces.
not to change the subject but ive done this to a couple of people, good thing our cars are faster than **** to get away from people who get mad haha! but it just takes practice to do a burnout man im a noob to but maybe its the street your trying it on? some road around here have insane traction, other streets i can straight cook the tires in 4th others, i can evne chirp 1st and i have brand new tires. goodluck!