New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seatbelts

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007 | 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Default Seatbelts

Just wondering IF the seatbelt is pulled really quick/hard does the seatbelt lock while the vehicle isn't moving? My car failed the safety due to a bad seatbelt(for not latching), but I took the whole thing apart and it seems to work no problem when the seatbelt unit is down on the front(simulating a front end dropping for a quick stop), so my question is, is this normal for the seatbelt NOT to engauge when the vehicle is sitting level and pulled quickly? The shop im dealing with already had the good sense to drive OVER a tire from another vehicle when pulling it out of the bay, so you can see the "mechanical apptitude" im dealing with here...... i should also mention(which causes me more to suspect the mechanic is a retard) is that its happening on both the d/s and the p/s
Old 03-18-2007 | 03:24 PM
Launching!

dont know the answer to your question for sure but i pulled the seat belt on my car sitting still and it locked ( had to pull it hard and fast but it locked) dont know if that means yours isnt functioning right or not but it might help you
Old 03-18-2007 | 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

lol, yeah man, serv. advisor quotes me 150 bucks just to get into the seatbelt mech. so i say to him, "nah I can probably get into it", bring it home and get into the seatbelt mech in like 4-5 mins, took me longer to get the tools! I have it apart and am probably gonna go back to the shop tomorrow(with the roof apart to show the tech that it engauges. the pendulum too moves freely and when the mechanism is installed on the roof and you slightly push the pendulum forward with a screw drvr(while pulling on the seatbelt) it locks everytime....however with this being safety I don't wanna push my luck .....and yeah i tried pullin on the d/s assembly on the TA, doesn't engauge either, lol I was pullin on it like.....nevermind so id assume either Ive got 4 bum seatbelt mechanisms or that mechanic deserves the

Last edited by NDFORSPD; 03-18-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2007 | 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

lol, the story gets funnier as we go....I go back to the service centre, explain thats how over 4 peoples cars are(All F-bodies with the same mechanism/they DO NOT lock while stationary).... anyways the serv. advisor comes back and says were gonna need something from GM, with GM letterhead stating that that is how the seatbelt mechanisms are to work. At this point Im almost about to freak out, but being that my buddies work at a dealership down the way, i decided to at the very least ASK. AS it turns out they did a quick search, and GM states that the front 2 seatbelt mechanisms will not latch while stationary and that the downward brakin effect causes the pendulum to lock(as mentioned by greg/what i figured). I take this letter back to the guy and he finally says yeah ok "i am worried in case u sell this car", at this point this guy is lucky im not givin him a "STFU"...asked him for a highlighter and read it out loud for him while highlightin, lol it was kinda funny in the end ...lol but anyways the seatbelt retractors are not supposed to snap while the vehicle is stationary.....the end